Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 10:56AM

Dazzler and his powerful god reminded me of a similar experience I had:

A few years ago a very devout and faithful Mormon who had found my website angrily wrote to me and used his supposed authority as a holder of the Melchizedek priesthood to pronounce a curse on me, to smite me, yea, to smite me dumb, verily, the self-same curse wherewith Alma cursed Korihor in the 30th chapter of the Book of Alma, namely, that I be struck dumb and have no more utterance.

And this was to be a sure sign of the power of his God and his priesthood. I immediately wrote him back and used my authority to prophesy that his curse wouldn't work, and that he would soon be giving me excuses why it didn't. I was not struck dumb. I didn't even get a sore throat.

When I wrote him this, his first excuse was that it would take effect sometime later. I responded that Alma's curse took effect immediately.

His next excuse was that he had not used the words "in the name of Jesus Christ." I suggested that he try it again and use the right words. (Alma hadn't used those words, either, actually.)

His next excuse was that he had cursed me in anger, implying, I suppose, that one can curse effectively only with love and kindness.

His final excuse was that only one priesthood holder at a time has the keys to do such smiting, and he wasn't the one (implying, I guess, that I would have to be taken before the president of the church, as Korihor was taken before Alma).

But here I am. As the false priests of Baal could not call down fire from heaven in chapter 18 of I Kings, so the false priests of Mormonism apparently cannot strike anybody dumb.

I can still talk. I have never been unable to speak.

Talk about a sign! And my prophecy was fulfilled!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 11:01AM

Following the lead of the original posting in the other thread...it was just a coincidence that this "curse" didn't take hold on you. However, if something HAD happened to you, that WOULDN'T have been a coincidence -- it would have been a clear demonstration of the power of god and the mormon priesthood.

Can you say "confirmation bias?" I'll be you can...:)

Oh, and Richard -- I for one am awfully glad you weren't struck dumb. Your writing is an inspiration.

Posted by: scaredhusband ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 11:21AM

Even if Richard was struck dumb, typing requires zero vocal capabilities. I assume very few vocal words were used in the creation of his website.

I think the last excuse is that the curse wasn't grandiose enough.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 11:46AM

Gotta love those special beings who've got God on speed dial to do their bidding!

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 11:55AM

The only thing I've been "dazzled" by is Dazzler's extreme stubbornness, immunity to logic and rational thought, and awesome levels of ignorance.

Other than that, his is a brilliant intellect.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 11:56AM

The thing about an invisible friend is that you never know exactly where he is or what he's doing.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 01:04PM

Breaking News!

Within two hours of taking the Dazzler challenge, I went to Trader Joe's. They discontinued their merengues six months ago that I desperately needed for a desert I want to make from when I was in Argentina four decades ago as a missionary. I couldn't find the right merengue anywhere. I was distraught.

Postre Balcarce. Like nothing you have ever had.

Well, within the two hour limit I looked on the shelf and there they were. Plastic containers piled high with those exquisite crunchy clouds.

I guess I do have a personal Savior after all. Trader Joe's.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 01:39PM

My challenge to Dazzler is no wimpy 2-hour challenge. My challenge is a 24-HOUR challenge:

Dazzler, within the next 24 hours, something either good or bad will happen to you. And it will happen because I have been told by my spirit advisers that it will happen.

I challenge you to believe it. Do you accept my challenge?

Date: May 26, 2016 01:51PM

Dazzler, soon, like in 12 hours, your eye lids will grow heavy and you will become sleepy...so sleepy...

You will not be able to keep your eyes open and you will sleep!

But don't forget to brush your teeth first!

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 01:53PM

And floss. It's important to floss. God told me to pass this message on to you.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 01:57PM

I don't know. Maybe it's just that Dazzler's aim is off, and I am an unfortunate bystander who became collateral damage.

The transmission on my car went out last night within the 2-hour time-frame, and I just found out it will cost more to fix it than the car is worth.

Stop this madness before something else happens to me!!!!

;-)

Date: May 26, 2016 03:13PM

A shop in East LA will beat the quote you got by at least $800. At least that's been my experience. I've had big chain estimates (Pep Boys & Big O Tires) cut in half by an Hispanic shop.

Posted by: dazzler ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 04:31PM

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
-John 3:17

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 04:51PM

This site was founded 20+ years ago to give people leaving Mormonism a place safe from proselytizing. I am the founder. There are enough issues in extricating oneself from a cult that we do not need someone preaching to us. My recommendation has always been to take 1-2 years off religion completely, if family circumstances allow, after leaving Mormonism. Take time for family, community, hobbies, good books etc. After the 1-2 year hiatus from religion, if one still feels a need for organized religion or spirituality, the mind is freed from cult mentality and one will have a more rational approach to faith.

Our rules are quite simple here - no preaching. In other words dazzler, it is time for you to go. You might want to try the 2 year challenge.

Posted by: dazzler ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 06:30PM

Firstly, most of what I read on this site has nothing to do with recovery. It seem from my experience that people here are bitter, angry atheists & exmos who gripe & complain about everything and have no compassion. I thought this was a place for those who found out Mormonism was false and could find solace in others & thier stories while adjusting from lds teachings & culture.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 06:33PM

Eric's site, his rules. Stop preaching at us!

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 06:36PM

Guy comes on the board, wanting to proselytize, and winds up getting butthurt when called out on it.

The next inevitable step is a rage quit followed by tons of s**t posts and verbal harassment of board regulars under sock puppet names.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2016 06:36PM by helamonster.

Date: May 26, 2016 06:39PM

OMG! This explains why, out of the blue, I bought popcorn last Friday!

The spirit moved upon the waters...

Now I am prepared to enjoy the fulfillment of your prophecy.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 06:29PM

dazzler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn
> the world; but that the world through him might be
> saved.
> -John 3:17

And your evidence that any of that is the case would be...?

Right. You have none.

So, if believing if somehow gives you something (comfort, happiness, whatever) -- great.
Preaching it here -- not great. Issuing "challenges" (like the mormons do with their BOM), even worse.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 04:47PM

That claimed to be special enough to warrant a lightening strike on a church (because he's just that super-powerful and connected to the gods or whatever) turned out to be a megalomaniacal, delusional, wife-abusing nutjob.

Same story, different delusion.

I pay deep attention to nearly every aspect of my day with the exception when I watch TV. Magical, beautiful, extraordinary things happen every day because life encompasses those qualities, even the mundane parts of it. I don't need any god in it to make it that way and life became much more magical after I realized there were no gods.

It's all about perspective. You can have peace and happiness without any god involved.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.