Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Well-Duh ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 02:40AM

I am interested to know if anyone else has unconsciously fallen into cultish thinking habits.

For example, I've felt a bit unsafe swimming on Sunday. That if I drowned or something happened to one of my children swimming that day, that I'd be getting what I deserved.

Another example is how I felt when I wasn't wearing my garments and had a serious injury. I had broken my promise to wear them all the time and the injury was obviously my fault because of that.

I know there are probably other things bouncing around in my head that are limiting my thoughts and behaviors that I am, most likely unaware.

Please tell me if you can relate and what thoughts or feelings came to you because of TSCC indoctrination.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Well-Duh ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 02:41AM

Another that occurred to me...

I would blame my failures on my lack of faith. If I were more faithful I'd pass that test, get that job, etc. etc.

Posted by: dazzler ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 03:07AM

I still cant help but to "keep the Sabbath Day Holy" even though I may not go to church, it still rings in my head. I also find myself drifting into cultish thoughts when Im feeling down or sluggish, thinking its because I left the fold and therefore am less faithful than what I was. However, comfort from the real Jesus Christ always reassures me that Im just fine.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 11:23AM

good stuff--thanks, tapped!

Posted by: blakballoon ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 03:37AM

I still feel uncomfortable blaspheming. Like saying 'Oh god' or 'Jesus Christ'

I have no trouble swearing.

Posted by: Mike T. ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 07:06AM

I'll one-up you. I now yell out, "Jesus phucking Christ!!" And I live in the South, too, so...

Leaving Mormonism has freed me to do what the hell I want. I make sure I cut the grass and clean the yard ONLY on Sundays. In spite of being in the south, I'm surrounded by active Mormons in my neighborhood, and the rest are Bible-thumping Jesus believers. I want them all to see me out there. I want DW to drive up in the driveway after church and see me out there running the mower or the trimmer.

To answer the question, I am good and out of cult thinking. But I do often attend the Unitarian church, on account of the fact that they have a big Sierra Club group there and it's full of educated people my own age. And I learn something important each Sunday. (Last week we had a large contingent from NAACP, and the sermon was mostly about the life of John Lewis, a big hero of mine.) And it's only an hour, if you don't count the half hour I spend eating coffee and cake. Unitarianism is not cult-like. Their message is "we believe in life before death." (DW says that's just "eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die," but I disagree.)

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 10:39AM

These are just knee-jerk reactions to years of programming. It may take a while for them to fade away.

It's like when you have been sitting on a mesh lawn chair in your shorts and when you get up you have a waffle pattern on the back of your bare legs.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 11:42AM

Nope. Never crossed my mind from the minute I resigned. Actually from long before I resigned.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.