Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 12:50AM

Utah man attacked for taking his 5-year-old daughter into Walmart men's bathroom
==================================================================

"A father of two children, a 7-year-old boy and a 5-year-old girl was attacked when he brought both children into a Walmart bathroom with him during a shopping trip in Clinton, Utah.

“This guy walks in and goes to the bathroom, the urinal,” Adams recalled Tuesday. “Then he just, like, turns to me and starts freaking out, dropping the ‘F-bomb,’ and what he was freaking out about was that my daughter was in the men’s bathroom.”

Adams said the man told him it was “inappropriate,” and soon began to push him after Adams gave him a terse response.
Adams says he began to move the kids away to leave the bathroom and it was at that point that the man began hitting him.

From there, Adams said he was punched in the face and kicked in the knee multiple times during the struggle in which the dad ultimately defended himself, forcing the man out of the restroom.

“I just slammed him on the ground and just held him until associates from Walmart could get there,” Adams said.
Police say the man was cited for disorderly conduct and they were still “screening a potential assault charge.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2016 12:50AM by Dave the Atheist.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cpete ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 01:00AM

Well duhh.. next me leave the kids with the theist while you take a shit. Wash your hands and leave you weirdo.

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 01:20AM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 01:49AM

These skirmishes in the bathroom wars are making us the laughingstock of the world. Trust Utah to contribute.

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 01:34PM

It's not just the "bathroom wars" that make us a laughing stalk..

Posted by: egghead ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 02:41AM

Brilliant. The freak thought it inappropriate for the child to remain with her father in the men's room, but cussing and violence was well within his "moral" code for her viewing pleasure.

He needs time away from society to re-think that. Six months in jail, hefty reparations to the family. He didn't only batter a father protecting his children, but emotionally abused the children as well. They must have been terrified.

Over his peeing preferences.

What a freak. He's a danger to himself and others.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 05:37AM

It's fairly common around here to see dads take their young children into the men's bathroom. Whichever parent has the kids takes them into their respective bathroom.

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 07:18AM

exceptions are always made for children accompanying a parent of the opposite sex - or should be.

The day will come when all bathrooms need an attendant and supervising children for their parents, in circumstances like those cited above, will become part of the job description - enhanced disclosure will apply.

It will create a new jobs market; "restroom consumer safety executive".

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 11:18AM

Soon they'll have anatomical scanners we'll have to pass through before being allowed to enter a public restroom.

Walk through the scanner and the appropriate door unlocks.

I'm just glad my property is big enough that I can just pee outside when I need to.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 09:14AM

I have to firmly close my bathroom door lest the cats march in when I'm trying to take a dump. I hate that.

The fat black one immediately attacks the toilet paper. Soon there's TP all over the floor, and what's left on the roll is full of holes so I have to use three times as much to protect my fingers. The little black and white cat, meanwhile, craves attention while I'm on the pot. If I don't constantly scratch her ears she bites my ankles.

It's a living hell. I mean, for Goddess' sake, they're not even the same SPECIES. Folks getting all worked up about gender-bending in restrooms should try taking a dump in my house when the cats are awake (which is, fortunately, rare). Those homophobic nervous nellies would learn the true meaning of suffering, IMO.

Posted by: Mike T. ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 11:47AM

We're living parallel lives.

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 05:45PM

I close the bathroom door, then I see kitty paws sticking in underneath the door.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 05:54PM

I hear ya. It's like a freakin' cat zombie horror flick.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 10:35AM

Meanwhile, men in France can still walk up to a public "pissoir," where they're essentially in full view of everyone walking by except around the waist, and happily relieve themselves:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pissoir

And Americans are assaulting each other over who goes in what bathroom.
Sigh.

Posted by: Mike T. ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 11:49AM

Helluva good point. (And in the old days, we used to call the pissoirs "the iron curtain." Descriptive. The last one I saw was not in France or Italy, but in Holland.)

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 01:04PM

Could anyone tell me what started this wave of mass hysteria? I've been living under a rock for a while.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 06:16PM

A couple of states (North Carolina being the most talked about), decided that in response to gay marriage being legalized, they were gonna take a stand against them perverts...so they passed a law requiring everyone to use the bathroom that matches the sex listed on their birth certificate. 'Cause children.

A shitstorm ensued. Entertainers canceled shows in NC. Companies closed offices there, or said they wouldn't move there. Conventions were canceled. Target came out with a contrary company policy. All the super-conservative-christians are up in arms over who gets to pee where.

Sometimes we're such a stupid country. Sigh.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 06:41PM

It was in response to proposed laws that would require even private property owners to allow transgender folks to use the bathroom for the gender they identified with.
I agree that it was a reactionary move, as their new law was even more ridiculous.
Why not let businesses, etc., make their own bathroom rules? Why get the government involved?
THERE WAS NEVER ANY PROBLEM BEFORE.

Posted by: Loyalexmo ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 06:47PM

Incorrect. It was in response to a Charlotte ordinance that protected trans individuals against harassment and discrimination in public bathrooms...because people were getting assaulted and thrown out of public bathrooms, cops were getting called, etc.
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/03/24/us/north-carolina-to-limit-bathroom-use-by-birth-gender.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2016 06:48PM by woodsmoke.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 28, 2016 02:40AM

Just yesterday I was in the men's room in a warehouse store. There was another man in there, and somebody was in the handicap stall with a little tot. When I zipped up and went to the sink* it turned out to be a woman with a boy, about 4. I just washed and left.

I encountered her in the aisles, and remarked (in a carefully polite tone), "I don't think ladies would mind if you took him into the women's room."

"Oh, he's quite the little man," she answered. "Insists on the men's room."

We chatted a moment and went our separate ways. Okay. No problem there!

*I always see signs which say, "Employees Must Wash Hands," but there's hardly ever an employee around to wash my hands!

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: May 28, 2016 05:06AM

Damn, I should have taken a pic. You see, yesterday I was at an auction house to look at a painting that will be auctioned on Tuesday, and I used the bathroom. There was only one, with both the male and female icon on the door. It contained two sit-down toilets, each with one of those icons on their own door, a few wash basins and a few urinals. The urinals were between the two sit-down toilets in a sort of niche, so the men urinating were exposed to each other but to no-one else.

I wonder what the politicians in North Carolina would think? Mind you, this is rather chique venue in a modern western country. Nobody thought anything strange about the setting. And I've seen a lot of those 'mixed' toilets in Europe. Especially in government buildings. It ends all discussions about taking your tot to the male or female restrooms.

Oh by the way, in swimming pools it seems to be acceptable for a single dad to take his little girl into the men's locker room. I've seen it and nobody seemed to object. Must be the same for women and very little boys.

Just my two eurocents.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: May 28, 2016 05:26PM

Adams: "A man objected to me taking my daughter into the men's bathroom. I was shocked, shocked I say! Who could have known that another male might object to me bringing a female child in there with me?"

Doesn't Walmart have parent and child bathrooms?

Or was he trying to figure out a way to make his daughter use a urinal?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 28, 2016 06:23PM

FUC = "Female Urination Device"

http://www.backpacker.com/gear/apparel/trail-clothes/category-womens-apparel/gear-review-female-urination-devices/#bp=0/img1

A definite way to reduce female wait times at concerts and sporting events: just let 'em line up with the boys! To make this more acceptable to TBMs and Molly Mormons, it will be sold through a Multi-Level Marketing program. Start lining your distributors up right now!!

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 07:09PM

When we go camping or traveling. Those things can be a lifesaver. I don't, however, recommend the Go Girl. The tube is too small as is the cup and can overflow.

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 05:00PM

They have "Family" restrooms.

Date: May 29, 2016 07:13PM

So the reason that he took his daughter into a male only toilet is, what? Complicated?

Posted by: woodsmoke not logged in ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 07:15PM

So that justifies assault, in your mind?

Remind me never to do something you don't like/have a Puritanical attitude about in front of you, because apparently assault is an acceptable response in your mind.

Date: May 30, 2016 08:42PM

Did I say that the assault was justified?

No. I did not.

You have a comprehension problem.

You read things in comments and posts that were never written.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2016 08:43PM by matt.

Posted by: tnurg ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 03:33PM

Wow, what's going to happen the next time a mom takes her little boy into the women's restroom which happens quite frequently by the way? Maybe these raging moralists will pass legislation preventing a mother (female) from looking at her naked, (male) child? Ya think? Crazy huh? Well, many of these people are unstable!

It reminds me of a time long ago when I stepped into a restroom in Southeast Asia/had a woman come in right behind me who promptly dropped her slacks/panties/ sat down across from me! There were no dividers whatsoever between commodes or in the restroom at all! At this point, it was clear to me that I had some adjusting to do! Later, I would have young women walk into an open shower that I was using! It apparently didn't faze Asian females of the time period to look at naked young men! Obviously, there is a great cultural divide in our world/no one got attacked in this case! Maybe, we can learn a little about etiquette, proper behavior/acceptable limits here in these United States! The nutjob in question from Utah should be charged with assault! As Always, tnurg (GRUNT)

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 07:33PM

What a ridiculous response. One of my earliest memories is my mother taking me into a pool changing room (I honestly can't remember if it was male or female), and 'guarding' me with a towel while I changed into trunks, and then after the swim lesson, doing the same thing again while I changed back into regular clothes. Obviously this was about 20 years ago when I was 5. I think it must have been a female changing room since my mother was in it, and it probably had more to do with guarding me from seeing whatever was going on with the women changing (and for them too, probably wouldn't appreciate a leering 5 year old boy). Perhaps this was a more acceptable thing to do in the mid 90's, but looking back, I don't think it's strange, and if, say, my father had to take my sister to swim lesson when she was a 5 year old girl and do the same thing in the men's changing room ('guarding' her with a towel while she changed in/out of swim clothes) I wouldn't think that's weird. when you're in public and your with families you just have to deal with things, and while YMCA's usually has single gender 'family' changing rooms, I've never seen a public pool with one, just 1 female and 1 male changing room.

Point is, I think children that young should probably be supervised wherever they are, even if it requires gender mixing in restrooms. It's the responsible thing to do ultimately, and I've been in family restrooms in walmart and seen what goes on in walmarts (especially in the shittier parts of towns); around where I live it's a common place for people to go and have sex and they are typically occupied ALL the time. Not everyone even knows Walmart's have them, they are in a very inconvenient part of the store (again, at least the walmart's around where I live), and I could understand the father's decision completely. Nature called and he made, as I see it, the correct decision to keep tabs on his children while he briefly used the restroom.

The man who assaulted him got what he deserve, as far as I'm concerned, and frankly a more thorough beating would have been in order.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2016 07:37PM by midwestanon.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.