Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: May 25, 2016 11:04PM

I get lots of TBM's reposting religious sayings on Facebook. I never see any TBM post any original thought on Facebook. I see the same reposting by people who have no connection to each other except they are TBM repost the same stupid post(s).

Is it possible they are afraid to have an original thought? Perhaps a church court scared?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: May 25, 2016 11:15PM

Well... I'm not big on defending TBMs, but in my experience Facebook has the ability to turn the minds of 90% of its users to moldy apple sauce, regardless of their degree of Mormonistic infestation.

Before I bailed on FB I used to get the LDS jive, too. But I also got the insipid posts from somebody who just finished his 83rd marathon (and before that, his 82nd; and before that, his 81st...), and the baby pictures of the adorable baby who in my opinion doesn't so much look adorable as maybe missing a few thousand brain cells, and the pictures of food from some uber-expensive restaurant that look like something a homeless guy upchucked behind a debris box.

Don't get me started on selfies.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 12:06AM

I hate pictures on Facebook of food. It ALWAYS looks like vomit. And Why would anyone care to see pictures of someone else's kids or grandkids?

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 12:46AM

I've unfollowed TBM's who share religious posts, but I've done the same with a few Christians who also post a lot of religious stuff. One TBM I've unfollowed posts selfies when she's not posting religious stuff, and I just got sick of clicking the hide button.

Posted by: blakballoon ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 01:16AM

I discovered the 'see less posts from..' button recently. I've been using it ruthlessly, but just realised I've probably used it for everyone on my friends list. Which made me think, what's the point of fb then?? The only people I don't want to 'see less of' are the people that don't post much anyway.

I quickly unfollow any hint of TBM-itis

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 04:44AM

I find the same thing. Most all tbms won't post their real thoughts. I like to get into politics and mention social problems and even economics. We have so many pressing problems in this world. There is so much uncertainty. But no one seems to care. Everyone is too wrapped up in the wedding anniversaries etc.
Nothing of substance...

On a side note I did buy some FB stock and it went up dramatically recently, I think it will go higher? That's my insider tip for the day. lol!

Posted by: dimmesdale ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 07:57AM

Sure there are some annoying things about it, but it's one of the three sites I open early in the morning and leave on all day.
I keep in touch with nieces and nephews--sometimes learning things before their parents do. I keep in touch with my own children.

There are clever things going around on Facebook. Interesting political discussions. Cute photos of MY grandkids. Recipes that I've tried.

I don't understand the hate. Just don't click on Facebook if you don't like it.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 08:12AM

Posting photos of themselves and their families. When not doing that they're busy trying to prove what wonderful human beings they are. The rest of the time they're trying to glorify their church (which is also the goal of A and B. Thinking has little to do with any of it.should

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 11:13AM

My turbo TBM father was seen as a pillar of righteousness, both in his own mind and by other TBM's. He could and would pontificate to no end.

However, what I noticed was that he only used the ideas and thoughts of others, usually an appeal to authority of some kind was implied.

I don't think he ever had an original thought or opinion after he joined the church as a teen, near the end of WWII.

Sad actually.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.