Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: exldsdudeinslc ( )
Date: May 25, 2016 10:05PM

As long as I get to pray to FSM it's all good.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: May 25, 2016 10:11PM

I've worked with Muslim co-workers before, and it was never a big deal. Technically, they can fit in two or three of the prayers before and after work, and the regular lunch and mid-day breaks are usually sufficient.

This article made it sound like the employees were not scheduling and/or communicating well.

Posted by: riverogue ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 04:05AM

Muslims keep their 5 prayers during day light hours, the first and last being just after sunrise and jest before sunset. If anyone is at work this long, they deserve at least four 15 minute breaks and an hour lunch, in which a muslim could perform five 10 minute prayers with wudu (ritual cleansing)

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: May 25, 2016 10:13PM

So, 5 per day, not per work shift. They currently get 2 and are asking for a 3rd, ten minute break, without pay. This doesn't seem that worth fighting over.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: May 25, 2016 11:09PM

Which is the dumber religion? Muslims or Mormons? Tough call.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 01:10AM

We've always taken it for granted that we got Christmas Day off. And before political correctness set in, we had Easter Break and Christmas Break.

I have a Buddhist friend who always takes Buddha's birthday off (and she invites us over for supper - I can't pronounce most of the stuff she serves, but it is GOOD!)

I think observant Jews can take their holy days off without having to use leave time (though I would have to check on this one.)

It seems only fair to allow observant Muslims to have their prayer breaks. From what I've seen, the prayers are formulaic and very brief, so how much of an interruption to the work day can that be?

Before retiring, I took more restroom breaks than were officially allowed, because Nature demanded. Nobody ever said a word.

I don't have a problem with cutting people a little slack now and again.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 11:28AM

The school district I grew up in was at least 50% Jewish. They were all absent (excused) on High Holidays. The rest of us read books and watched movies all day. They never closed the schools in order to make sure we had enough days in the school year.

I had an advanced math class in High School that had 6 of us there on Jewish Holidays. Not a big deal to anyone.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 05:25AM

He stops his class, spreads out his prayer rug and says his prayer while students wait. They complained and got nowhere.

This is a case of religious bullying.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 05:32AM

Where I live, if you are an hourly worker and work a full day, you get a lunch break and two 15-minute breaks. For a Muslim worker, this would accommodate 3 out of the 5 daily prayers. The other two could be accomplished before and after work. It may be that this is more an issue of *all* of the workers not having adequate breaks.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 11:42AM

There shouldn't be more than 3 prayers that affect the work day unless they are working them 12-hour shifts or something. One of their prayers is supposed to be shortly upon arising and one in the evening. It just doesn't seem that they can prove it's an undue burden. It might be if they want special breaks to prayer on top of the breaks they should have.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 12:15PM

The prayers are supposed to be scheduled at very specific times. Many Muslims allow for some flexibility, but if they can't do that, it can be a problem.

I think no one has a right to take a job they can't or won't do. It's like a mormon taking a job that requires Sunday work and expecting everyone to routinely take the Sunday shifts so the mormon can teach Sunday School at the ward house.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 11:59AM

If anything, the most times they would have to pray is 3 times during an 8 hour shift, and the work breaks can be scheduled for those times. The other 2 prayer times would be done before and after work since one is done right after waking up, and the last prayer is sometime in the evening, before bed.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 12:03PM

what if their silly cult required animal sacrifice five times a day ?
would an employer have to accomodate that ?

Posted by: Never Mo but raised Fundie ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 12:28PM

I think it is primarily a problem if an assembly line cannot continue run without the Muslim workers so must shut down during prayers. The other consideration is that the times change during the year so it isn't as simple as just adding an additional break at a set time. (I think anyway)

I personally think prayers can and should be accommodated but I do have some sympathy for the business drivers at play here.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 02:39PM

My own opinion is that a workplace is no place for any religious practice. Take it outside or home on your own time. If it doesn't fit into the same break schedule as everyone else...too fucking bad.

RB

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 03:36PM

The prayer takes only 2-3 minutes. The smoke break takes longer. The exact time it must be done depends upon the sect. Most Muslim friends I have are very loose about the time. They get around to it eventually.

At least that was my experience with lots of travel in the middle East

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.