Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sharapata ( )
Date: May 25, 2016 05:47PM

The Church is in full boast mode these days over the explosive growth of the Church in places like Ghana and Ivory Coast. But I can't help but think about what the hierarchy REALLY thinks about all this growth. Aren't these largely poor members a huge drain on Church resources? And, I wonder if they are afraid of the Church getting *too* large in these places where all of this new membership is clearly not white and delightsome, and not at all like the backbone of the Church in Utah. Does anyone think that the Church might intentionally want to slow down some of the growth there?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 25, 2016 05:49PM

it's a 'Show the Flag' kinda deal, bolstered by the fact that some companies send some LDS workers to those places; then they have a nest to roost in when they arrive.

just sayin'

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 25, 2016 05:53PM

It's going to be a much poorer church in the future. The first world is rejecting Mormonism as the third world is embracing it.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 25, 2016 06:00PM

To survive it needs people wherever it can find them. And naturally Mormonism is beginning to look like a very backward superstitious belief system.

Just imagine in 50 years parts of Africa are more Mormon than Utah and locals go around sharing gold plated stories about a continent that is a continent away from them that is a promised land. They could email the first world and try to convince the gullible to support their Mormon Jesus.

And just imagine if obeying the laws of the land resurrected Mormon polygamy from the mother church.

Ah, all the miraculous possibilities now that Yoda has brought Africa into the folds of deception, conformity, and mind crimes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2016 06:01PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: May 25, 2016 09:40PM

Hahahaa... My dad told me that when he was at BYU, there was a rumor that George Lucas was mormon, and that Yoda's image was based on SWK.

I assume that by 'Yoda' you were making a thinly-veiled reference to SWK.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. My only comment is that I wonder if the church anticipates substantial growth in Africa over the coming decades; I don't really know a lot about economic growth in Africa. I am aware that the continent is by and large not politically stable, in general has a lower-than-average standard of living, and scores low in things like religious/political/press freedom, with the exception of a few countries. It seems like Africa is also a breeding ground for various ehtnic cleansing and terrorist movements. It doesn't sound safe.

I personally know a woman (not well at all, but my mom knows her well) who moved to the states from Africa with her children to join TSCC; her husband came to the states, kidnapped her children, brought them Sierra Leone (where she and her husband were from originally), I believe with the intention of having her daughter undergo a female circumcision. Eventually, the daughter was murdered. Extremely sad, and from what I was told, not at all uncommon.

Unfortunately, the turbulent political situation in Africa is largely a consequence of the continent being broken up and managed by various European empires for centuries, and then the countries reformed along extremely vague geographical/ethnic/political lines, and letting them stew in the mess that European countries were responsible for.

I don't know exactly what Africa needs for it to stabilize, but it sure as fuck doesn't need a patriarchal religion with a history of racism and a demand for 10% of your money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2016 09:42PM by midwestanon.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 11:47AM

midwestanon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I assume that by 'Yoda' you were making a
> thinly-veiled reference to SWK.

Yes.

> I don't know exactly what Africa needs for it to
> stabilize, but it sure as fuck doesn't need a
> patriarchal religion with a history of racism and
> a demand for 10% of your money.

Well, if they are looking for another promised land for a theocracy to rule from their first world Utah-rameumpton the most devastated parts of the third world really receptive to their controls and their traditional families mongering is ripe for their picking. And they are land greedy just like their Kirtland days with Joe Smith so they could exploit from inside political systems they can gain a place for their iron rod.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2016 11:49AM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: Mannaz ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 09:46AM

Lucus was Mormon. His daughter was there when I was. She had the proberbil '70's the 'configured Van'. Not TBM. Let's say it 'rocked'.

Posted by: Gentle Gentile ( )
Date: May 25, 2016 06:02PM

It's okay. Retention rates in underdeveloped areas are supposedly in the toilet.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: May 25, 2016 06:05PM

"clearly not white and delightsome" - but once they accept TSCC, don't they become white and delightsome? That what I was taught?
Of course that teaching could have changed like every other teaching they have ever had.

Just a quick question too.... the First World and Second World have been brought up in this post [and in many things all the time]. Is there a Second World? If so, which countries are in it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2016 06:08PM by verilyverily.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 25, 2016 06:16PM

Detroit / Baltimore... East LA, Calexico...

It's everywhere in a First World country where Whites are a tiny, tiny minority, so that there's not enough priesthood to keep the blessings flowing.

(mostly I'm kidding... mostly)

Posted by: blakballoon ( )
Date: May 25, 2016 09:45PM

2nd world countries refers to those former eastern bloc nations that made up the industrial block of the Soviet Union.

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: May 25, 2016 06:12PM

When my nephew got his missionary orders to Ghana, I took a trip there via Google Earth to check it out.
The mormons are only one of many missionary churches in Accra. Pretty much one on every corner.
With so many churches competing for the same customers there has to be a lot of poaching of converts.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 25, 2016 06:20PM

GBH said that LDS involvement in Africa is 'helping them, developing them'....

Oh; so taking their top 10% & sending it to SLC is 'helping them'!

got it.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 25, 2016 09:17PM

NAH, they figure if you're dumb enough to join...

Posted by: Mike T. ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 01:34PM

I doubt the church invests much money in these places--a building here, a building there.** The missionaries pay for themselves, and they do most the heavy lifting. But Africa's all they got when they tout "success." Missions are closing and stakes shutting their doors all over the developed world. So, if credibility is in itself a form of tender, then Central and West Africa ARE lucrative just by bringing in members.

**The church supposedly brings water drilling projects to Africa, but I knew two couples who supervised this, and the locals had to do a lot of paying and financing in order to guarantee in advance that the project would be successful and remain so. The church attached a lot of strings to all those projects, whereas any other charitable organization or NGO would just come in and drill.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 02:21PM

In Africa and other third world countries, some?, many? all? natives of the country are paid a monthly stipend when they serve a full time mission.

I read a mishie blog where sister missionaries tracted out a female native who told them that for some natives, being on a mission is the most gainful employment they'll ever have in their lives.

Another mishie, in Africa, wrote about his annoyance with his native companion because the native elder's girlfriend followed him from transfer to transfer and his companion would often simply disappear.

I think the church is gambling with ghawd's money that if they pay enough natives to be missionaries, some of them will stay and become leaders. And it does sort of make sense, given that it would be impossible for natives to pay $400/month (as if tax deductions matter in 3rd world countries!!), much less their families, branches or wards. The only way to have native missionaries is to pay them.

I think they should go on strike, for longer missions.

Posted by: Mike T. ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 03:51PM

In the Kinshasa mission, the missionaries had to sign a legally-binding disclaimer to affirm that they were only getting their stipend for the duration of their mission. It was the steadiest work some of the girls and boys would ever have in their lives. This encouraged some of them to marry their girlfriends while on their missions. Sometimes, some of them were innocent enough to share the joyous news with the mission president.

A funny thing--the African missionaries (that mission only had a small, evenly numbered cadre of white boys who were only put in the less chaotic country of Cameroon) were so much more serious and capable than the American kids.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 04:14PM

Africa gives TBM's something to do. Missions. Service Missions. Humanitarian aid. Media content. It's where Christians are going to make a difference.

Unfortunately, the African continent is a financial drain on LDS, Inc. This means future leaders will most likely cut back and serious money will be pulled from Africa.

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 05:10PM

More than 30 years ago I was a missionary in a 3rd world country. The majority of converts were extremely poor. So the MP came up with an idea. Since people with money wouldn't let missionaries in their home, the elders were told to hitch hike (not sisters). Anyone who had a car had money, and usually felt sorry for the missionaries out in the hot sun, and gave them a ride. It was a chance to talk, and get invited home. He said it was because anyone with money probably had leadership skills. The church needed more leaders (priesthood), so it worked sometimes. Of course, it also meant more tithing.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 11:37PM

I laugh to think what the cult has gotten themselves into in these countries in Africa they are sending the mishies to.

The cult does not really care to know much of anything about what these interesting and unique countries have to offer nor to make them part of the plan. The cult's only goal is to ramrod itself into these places with the idea that the people need to be taught to emulate the 'truthful and right' ways of how things are done in Salta Laka Citee and forget about their own background and ways of doing and seeing things.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2016 11:52PM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 10:59AM

I hear nigeria is the Provo scam capital of Africa...they might even learn new stuff from the one true church...parting people from their time and money for almost200 years...its a match made in kolob

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.