Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 25, 2016 05:47PM

When something is inherently unequal, no matter how much talking and writing is said and done about it, the inequality remains.

So the talking and the writing just goes on. And on...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Forgetting Abigail ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 02:52PM

Yup. Young women these days, and by that I mean many young women not just Mormons, aren't stupid and just blindly following the program. One might even say they're ballsy.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: May 25, 2016 05:55PM

A thoughtful and well-written article.

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 12:44AM

Good article, BUT, "And if we’re going to teach about virtue, jettison the ideas about it being only about virginity and instead embrace it as a call to find women’s power."

I honestly believe any TBM would immediately tune out of receptiveness to an idea the minute anyone used the phrase 'women's power'. I think the very thought of women having 'power' scares the crap out of them.

I had not heard of or read the book mentioned: “The Struggle for Female Authority in Biblical and Mormon Theology.” If I were still LDS, I might give it a read, but since I'm not, I could care less - I think people should leave rather than trying to change it.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 01:45PM

The comment section started off slow but it's picking up some steam.

D$C 132 is quoted as support for men only having the priesthood. I think Koriwhore needs to school that brother on 132, since he, that brother, seems to rely on it.

I also like the retort that same brother made about the nuturing ability of men and women: "You are incorrect saying a man could nurture a child as equally as a woman."

I sincerely believe that the human body does not manufacture 'nurture' like it does ovum and sperm. I do not believe a casual link exists between a uterus and 'nurture'. Nurture is not a function of gender.

Posted by: abcdomg ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 03:05PM

Still waiting for Mormons to tell intersex people whether or not they should have the priesthood. Or to acknowledge that they even exist. *tap dances until Hell freezes over*

Posted by: abcdomg ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 03:10PM

I try to imagine living with the hypocrisy of claiming to be an advocate for equality while clinging to a religious patriarchy and I'm grateful all over again that I'm no longer twisting my brain into a preztel to justify Mormon bullshit.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.