Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dimmesdale ( )
Date: May 24, 2016 06:28PM

and ruminating on the church's directive that women missionaries can now wear pants in those affected countries.

And I'm just FURIOUS! If there is talk of cancelling the Olympics. If there is talk from some of the female Olympic participants that they will withdraw. If there is an epidemic there....

THEN GET THOSE WOMEN OUT OF THERE!

I cannot believe a parent who would (if they had any influence) willing let their daughter go into that kind of situation. Pants are not going to stop mosquitoes. What are these general authorities thinking!

Parents, protect your children.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 24, 2016 06:32PM

I like how pants are the solution. When threatened with being considered more reckless than they already are in putting teenagers in harms way, give way to women wearing pants.

I'd like to read the revelation, oh, wait. El Presidente Monsonquitoes doesn't receive that kind of pertinent information for humanity.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: May 24, 2016 06:42PM

So pants are like kryptonite to zika infected mosquitoes?

Who knew?....oh, god did.....cause he must have told his minions....how else would they know to reveal it?

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: May 24, 2016 06:44PM

I'm all in favor of women being allowed to wear pants on their missions (even though this is only allowed in Zika-affected areas)...

...but the photos of permitted clothing choices had lower arms uncovered on at least one of the permitted/"new" choices for tops, and as others have pointed out, mosquitoes can bite heads, necks, hands, and feet, too---so, in any case, women shouldn't be sent into zika-affected areas in the first place.

AND...since males are also vulnerable to mosquito bites/the zika virus, and since males can transmit that infection to their sex partners (of either gender) for as long as they are infected, THEY should not be allowed in zika-affected areas, either!!!

Right???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2016 06:46PM by Tevai.

Date: May 24, 2016 06:51PM

Tevai Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Right???

Yes, but not "Righteous."

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: May 24, 2016 07:01PM

So much is unknown about zika.
For example, would a zika infection in a woman increase the rate of birth defects for subsequent children.
LDS Inc needs to move missionaries both male and female out of high risk areas.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 24, 2016 07:18PM

So far, the only established link is that the risk of severe birth defects is higher for women who get infected *while pregnant.*
There's NO established link that EVER getting infected means a woman will ALWAYS have a higher risk of severe birth defects.
And for the vast majority of non-pregnant people (men and women) who get infected, the zika virus is a minor nuisance.

Not that I'm siding with anything the mormons do, because even if they do something reasonable it's for the wrong reasons...

But unless the female mishies are pregnant, their approach is reasonable. For now.

Date: May 24, 2016 07:22PM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
> But unless the female mishies are pregnant, their
> approach is reasonable. For now.

Pants will help them to not get pregnant? ;)

Date: May 24, 2016 08:52PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
> Pants will help them to not get pregnant? ;)

Sure. Unless they're tight jeans. Umm....

Date: May 25, 2016 01:46PM

I bet even without tight jeans Mormon female missionaries are bothered by human insects.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: May 24, 2016 07:47PM

Finally. A voice of reason. Nobody- except for extremists are calling to stop the Olympics. Zika is like the flu- only lasts for about a week & then it's like you never had it unless you're pregnant or sexually active & pass it on to others. Neither is likely to be a case for missionaries.

If I were a pregnant female, I wouldn't step foot in South America or Southern USA (kinda hard for those who live there). But, for others, it's like catching a cold.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 24, 2016 10:19PM

StillAnon Wrote:
> Zika is like the flu...

The flu doesn't cause severe, life-altering birth defects. If people want to be cautious about Zika, I don't blame them. Not everything is known about it.

Date: May 25, 2016 10:44AM

Summer, if you're going to quote & comment, please use the entire quote;

"Zika is like the flu- only lasts for about a week & then it's like you never had it unless you're pregnant or sexually active & pass it on to others. Neither is likely to be a case for missionaries."

Kinda makes your comment moot.

Date: May 25, 2016 01:30PM

What I am trying to say is that I don't believe for a second that the science is settled on Zika. We know a lot about influenza because (even though it mutates) we've been dealing with it for many, many years. Not so with Zika.

Sure, there is some preliminary information. Scientists *think* they know what is safe and unsafe based on preliminary data. But where is the data that has been accumulated over decades worth of research?

I've lived long enough to know that scientists don't always get it right. And as I said, the consequences of getting Zika can be horrendous. So no, it is not like the flu at all. I don't think that a young woman of reproductive age should be in a Zika-infested area if she can help it.

Date: May 25, 2016 01:48PM

I don't think that a young woman of reproductive age should be in a Mormon-infested area if she can help it.

But I agree with you on Zika. Better to be safe than sorry. Human DNA and viruses can have strange relationships form sometimes.

Why risk it?

Oh, wait, we are dealing with people with God complexes sending these kids out.

Date: May 25, 2016 02:33PM

"I don't think that a young woman of reproductive age should be in a Zika-infested area if she can help it."

I've researched this extensively. My daughter is in Rio as of Monday. She's with her volleyball team playing against Brazil's Jr. Olympic team, as well as other International teams. We consulted a multitude of doctors, including the USOC docs in CO & CA. They wouldn't be green lighting our Olympic women if they weren't certain that Zika doesn't have residual effects on non pregnant women. Knowing what I know, I'd be more concerned with missionaries wearing DEET based mosquito repellent for a 2 year stretch.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: May 25, 2016 01:53PM

I was involved in AIDS research in 80s, it took several years to sort out what HIV was really doing in the host, and still there is much that is not really known.

It is known that the Zika virus is spread by sexual contact, and the transmission rate is much higher than statistical models would predict. If I had a son or daughter in Zika infested areas I would get them out of there. Why risk getting a disease that can be so harmful and is not yet understood. I got exposed to a viral mosquito born virus when I was a missionary and it took a long time to figure out what was going on.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 12:22PM

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 24, 2016 07:40PM

Harumph... A real prophet would ask ghawd to provide a cure so that the spirit babies will all have healthy bodies to be born into.

Or maybe it's all part of the majestic plan and this is how ghawd is rewarding his extra special spirit kids, by letting them be born into a body with a brain that doesn't function well enough to be able to 'chose sin' and thus they'll go right to the CK!!!

What a guy!

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: May 24, 2016 09:01PM

I would ask the question, what is the church doing to help its members in infected areas? I can just see them wanting their 10% from a family with an infected baby. Or, are they just telling members pay, pray & obey will protect them, and have as many children as possible?

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: May 24, 2016 10:10PM

plz post pics for research purposes ~

thx

Date: May 25, 2016 10:40AM

ziller Wrote:
> plz post pics for research purposes ~

Here ya go, ziller!

https://www.google.com/search?q=women+dresses+or+tight+pants%3F&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=979&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiR98-uuvXMAhUC1WMKHZKXAcsQ_AUIBigB

:)

Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: May 25, 2016 02:22PM

The scholar who mentioned HIV research in the 80's and the unknowns of this virus is spot on. We DO know Zika infection in pregnancy can produce horrific microcephalic- small head small brain infants. We DO know it is transmitted sexually. How do most humans get pregnant?

As a neonatologist HIV in exposed infants isn't fully solved nor Hepatitis A,B,C nor CMV. This demands caution and the church is band-aiding what could be a serious universal health problem.

Gatorman

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2016 02:22PM by gatorman.

Date: May 25, 2016 02:41PM

And I failed to mention the most common viral infection in pregnancy- herpes. When I see it in a newborn it is almost always fatal. Just what we don't know about chronic infections in pregnant mothers....

Gatorman

Date: May 25, 2016 03:02PM

No one is disputing the effects on pregnant women. We're talking female missionaries that won't be pregnant or theoretically won't be having sex to pass Zika. The USOC docs have been working closely with the CDC & the WHO. Both whom have advised female athletes in travelling to Brazil. Like I said earlier, I'd be more concerned on the long lasting effects on the central nervous system from using DEET repellent for two years.

Date: May 25, 2016 03:10PM

If you are not there you won't need DEET. Your concerns about DEET are well taken. Not suggesting folding the Olympics. The games like a mission are voluntary. Being placed in a Zika prone environment- mosquito spread- unnecessarily doesn't seem worth it to me thinking of unknowns. Think we are close to being on same page.

Gatorman

Date: May 25, 2016 05:51PM

I'm not concerned about what the scientists know. I'm concerned about what they *don't* know about the disease. I'm not putting down scientific research, far from it. I'm saying that sometimes scientists do not have the whole story.

And the USOC as a shining example of integrity? I'm not sure that I would go there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2016 05:55PM by summer.

Date: May 25, 2016 06:51PM

Summer- you know any USOC Docs? I do. Don't confuse their integrity, qualifications or intentions with that of the USOC committees involved in politics. Many of those doctors, like those that work for the CDC or WHO, could make more money in the private sector. But they are passionate about what they do. They put the safety of the athlete above all else. If you had a serious issue, you would hope to find a doctor that cared about you as much as the USOC doctors that I've talked with.

Date: May 25, 2016 07:43PM

Yes, I do. I take your point, the docs should not be confused with the political B.S. I stand by what I said before though. I think we all hope that the athletes will be safe and have a great experience in Brazil.

Date: May 25, 2016 07:50PM

We agree! Thanks Summer.

Posted by: a nonny mouse ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 04:57PM

men who are infected with the virus who father children will also cause the same birth defects in those children as women who are infected

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 06:15PM

The zika virus will not pass directly from infected fathers to their unborn children. An infected man would have to infect a woman first, who could then pass the virus on to her unborn child.

http://www.cdc.gov/zika/transmission/index.html

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: May 26, 2016 05:51PM

You can order braclets on Amazon that is suppose to repeal the mosquitos.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.