Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Britboy ( )
Date: May 18, 2016 10:06AM

Who else remembers the BYU dance and music group for native american tribes, The Lamanite Generation? They were heavily promoted at one time to show how inclusive the Church was! The title would be a NO NO nowadays! I was reminded if it when i saw a postcard for them on Ebay!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: copolt ( )
Date: May 18, 2016 10:23AM

Yep Britboy, I remember a performance in the 1970's. I also recall, on another occasion, missionaries performing an American Indian 'Hoop Dance'. Regards.

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: May 18, 2016 10:34AM

Bloody science! Sucking all the fun out of the Mormon activities. ;o)

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: May 18, 2016 12:11PM

It was one of the big performing groups when I was there in the 70s. I enjoyed their shows.

And what would Seminary have been without the Tom Trails soap opera? Gawd, we were so brainwashed and naive.

Posted by: Inverso ( )
Date: May 18, 2016 12:44PM

I was in the International Folk Dance Ensemble and we had some interaction with LG members. I think the guys in that group were just as ghey as we were (well, I know for sure that some of them were). I don't know what we would have all done if there hadn't been places like that to hide out in plain sight at YBU.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: May 18, 2016 02:34PM

Have you posted about that before?

Date: May 18, 2016 03:05PM

About IFD? Hmm... probably a little onece or twice. I'd love to catch up with some exmo dancers someday and get some of the stories on record. There's some important LGBT community history there.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: May 18, 2016 03:31PM

Yeah. I was in Folk Dancers in the early seventies. Only thing that made BYU bearable. Mary Bee is having her 99th birthday party on Sunday I hear. She's still kicking higher than anyone.

Date: May 18, 2016 05:09PM

Mary Bee is a phenomenon for sure. She did finally get baptized, around the time I was there but I don't think she ever drank the kool-aid.

I kinda want to do interviews with dancers like the ones I've been doing of gay guys who served missions and maybe do another short documentary. I was so clueless about the shenanigans going on right under my nose... sigh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2016 05:10PM by Inverso.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: May 18, 2016 05:13PM

I happen to know she did not drink the kook-aid. The baptism was a "gift" to the missionary son I would say. The lady always knew what was what.

Posted by: Ether ( )
Date: May 18, 2016 02:03PM

Another story from the 70s... In 1978, my family lived in San Antonio, Texas. Half our stake was "Lamanite". Anyway, there were just a hand full of us going to BYU at the time and only one was "Lamanite". She was fabulously talented and tried out for cheerleader. She got cut on the final cut. One of the judges came up to her afterwards and told her flat out she didn't make the team because she was dark skinned and stuck out amongst the blondes. The judge told her to try out for Lamanite Generation. She did, and made it into the group.

It's so breathtakingly appalling what BYU still gets away with.

Posted by: Forgetting Abigail ( )
Date: May 18, 2016 03:10PM

Now that you mention it I vaguely remember it. It was during the Saturday's Warrior time period. I wonder whatever became of that, other than DNA debunking the whole erroneous story.

Posted by: Mythb4meat ( )
Date: May 18, 2016 03:29PM

played the piano and accompanied them the very day in 1974 on BYU campus that SWK visited and gave his incredibly bad speech to the Lamanites.....amazing times...

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: May 18, 2016 03:44PM

God. Is there any group that mormons haven't offended? Mormonism is like the Donald Trump of religion.

Posted by: wondercat ( )
Date: May 18, 2016 07:50PM

^^^^ FUNNY ^^^^

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: May 18, 2016 09:52PM

StillAnon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> God. Is there any group that mormons haven't
> offended? Mormonism is like the Donald Trump of
> religion.

Good one!

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: May 18, 2016 03:59PM

"Go my son, go and climb the ladder,
Go my son, get an education,
Go my son, make your people proud of you--"

Of course, I remember The Lamanite Generation dancing to Cherokee Nation and BYU's Tribe of Many Feathers.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2016 04:00PM by BYU Boner.

Date: May 18, 2016 06:42PM

I was a musician for the Entertainment Division/Program Bureau after some of you ealier folks. I worked with the YA-YAs during the late 70s.

Was anyone else here around then, or, more specifically, part of the 1st India trip in 1/1980? (also Nepal, Sri Lanka) I don't mind calling it out openly. We could commiserate together! What a "character-building" experience that was, huh?! OMG, I needed therapy after that thing.

Posted by: YA_waybackthen ( )
Date: May 18, 2016 07:46PM

Yes, I was a YA and went on that India trip. Were you in the band? I remember Randy castigating me on the plane one day because I didn't have my 'journal entries' done yet for my assigned days, as though I had betrayed a country and committed some mortal sin. It was obvious he was being 'righteous' for the listening audience. What a dick. I also remember we had to LOOK AT THE FLIGHT ATTENDANTS the whole time they were giving the pre-flight speeches--because that's what respectful Mormons do-- and some general authority taking offense at the fact that I leaned against another cast member while falling asleep during some 15 hour flight.

I was also on the trip to china the following year with Bruce R. McConkie, I realize now he must have been banished from SLC for his fight with professor England, and traveling with us was his punishment!!

Date: May 18, 2016 08:00PM

Hey YA_waybackthen!

Yes, I was with an India tour. Unfortunately, it was the maiden voyage 1 year before yours. I went with another man I admired a lot at the time, Newell Dayley. Not Randy. Our special guest? Jeff Holland. JH was semi-normal then, folks. What happened? He was with church education back then, right?

Newell's love for jazz seemed to tell me where his real heart lay... but I think he had to deal with too many TBMs that he couldn't escape.

I was sorry to hear that KND left music and was promoted into more administrative work. Back in 1975, he was pretty darn cool, playing that trumpet with Synthesis. :)

Date: May 18, 2016 07:20PM

In addition to Mary Bee (who I have heard of but unfortunately never worked with), one more YBU dance teacher really "got it." He helped me and my friends cope with the repressive environment there and took us under his wing. Im referring to Dee Winterton.

Dee began in modern dance and became a big part of The Ririe-Woodbury (sp?) Modern Company in SLC. He then taught modern dance at the Y. He branched out and choreographed for the Program Bureau/Division, and the Music and Theater departments. As well as being a great help to me when I hated being stuck at the Y, or whatever my gripes were, I loved his great choreography and performing talent.

While Dee worked at the Y, Bob Redford asked him to become artistic director at Sundance Summer Theater up in the Provo Canyon each summer. He did that from the mid-70s until the time of his death, roughly 1984 .

So to Dee, and all the other YBU teachers who were really THERE for us radicals, I say, "CHEERS!" and "THANK YOU!"

Posted by: YA_waybackthen ( )
Date: May 18, 2016 08:53PM

I wish I had known that side of Dee! all I knew was that he seemed to utterly despise me for having been classically trained in ballet, not modern dance. I danced with the byu ballet company for a year and then performed with young ambassadors after that. Dee never failed to express his disdain for my training, except one time, when he needed me to choreograph a ballet number for him to use. When I presented my choreography, as he requested, he rolled his eyes and sighed dramatically, but then used my work for the rest of the year in our show. You were lucky to have seen a different aide of him, I wish I had also.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: May 18, 2016 09:30PM

Yes, I had friends in the LG back in the 80's.

The name of the group was changed to "Living Legends"

Posted by: Mag ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 05:18PM

Anybody remember Al Edwards from LG in the early 70's? Tall singer.

Posted by: Mag ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 05:20PM

Anyone remember Al Edwards from LG in the early 70's? Tall singer. Swinomish from Washington state.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 05:28PM

I remember seeing them perform at BYU in a variety show when I was visiting the campus with a friend. That trip had a number of head-scratching moments, and thinking, "What's a Lamanite, they look like Native Americans?" was one of them.

Posted by: Lots of Good Indians ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 05:40PM

"Go my son, go and earn your feather."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjYt3OxRWZE

The descendant-group of the LG is now called "Living Legends."

I think "Cherokee People" was a better song!

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 05:57PM

Yes, I do. Had some friend in them during the 80's

They changed the name to Living Legends, now, and I think they incorporate Asians? Not sure. The lady behind them, Janie Thompson, died in the past few years

(Opps sorry. I realize someone just unentombed an old thread ;) )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2017 05:58PM by angela.

Posted by: quatermass2 ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 12:50AM

> Who else remembers the BYU dance and music group
> for native american tribes, The Lamanite
> Generation?

Wasn't Wei-Wei Wong in that group?

Ahhh, no - that was The Second Generation :-)

(you have to be a Brit of a certain age lol).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.