Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 07:20AM

I like "Give, Said the Little Stream."

As a kid I liked "Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam." The kids loved yelling out the repeated word "sunbeam" at the tops of their lungs.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: OzDoc ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 07:25AM

Both of these are mainstream Christian children's songs, not Mormo.

Date: May 06, 2016 08:07AM

I'd never heard that the Little Stream song was Christian.

Date: May 06, 2016 12:50PM

I enjoyed the read.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 01:25PM

I did too and the additional lyrics.

Posted by: Rameumptom ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 07:47AM

Popcorn popping on the apricot tree!

Posted by: siobhan ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 11:47AM

I'm nevermo. What the heck is this song supposed to mean?

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 12:38PM

siobhan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm nevermo. What the heck is this song supposed
> to mean?

It refers to a child looking out the window and seeing the apricot tree in bloom which looked like popcorn...
It's one of the little children's favorites.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2016 01:44PM by SusieQ#1.

Date: May 06, 2016 12:54PM

As a musician, and teacher, and having spent a couple of decades as a music conductor in the LDS Church, I was familiar with 99% of the music in the hymnbook and the Children's Song book.

Much of the music used in the LDS Church is from Christian writers. People like E.O. Excell who wrote over 2000 songs/hymns and published Gospel Song Books for churches, along with many collaborators. Many of his music has been included in the LDS Hymnals over the years. He was publishing in the 1880's and on.

Originally, the LDS Church published just the lyrics which were printed in a little book with a notation of the "Hymn Tune" which everyone knew by it's title.

Many of the hymns in the LDS Church were written by LDS members - the music or the lyrics: Evan Stevens, Janice Capp Perry, Parley P Pratt,George Carless, Eliza Snow, James Welsh,

As a convert, I knew many of the hymns used in the LDS Church but some of the words were different.

There were a few hymns or gospel songs (those have a chorus) that I liked better than others as they were easier to sing.
At my husband's funeral service we sang: Nearer my God to Thee, and Abide with me tis Eventide. Both are Christian hymns.

Oh boy.. didn't mean to post this here as a response to my own post...oh well... :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2016 01:00PM by SusieQ#1.

Date: May 06, 2016 01:22PM

I enjoy many church hymns and Christmas carols. I appreciate churches that pay professionals to plan and rehearse the Sunday music. I don't miss some of the sermons or backbiting that can evolve in a congregation, but I did the like the music at the Unitarian Churches I've attended.

Date: May 06, 2016 12:40PM

It's a nice song and a good description for Utah kids who grow up around fruit trees.

Other kids would need to see orchard pictures to understand the comparison.

Posted by: Oz Doc ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 09:11AM

I first learned the song at Presbyterian Sunday School which I would attend when on holiday at my NeverMo grandmother's house .i never sang it in Primary or LDS Sunday schools, so wonder when it entered LDS song books.

If you google the author or the history of the song it states that it is popular in many Christian denominations "including Baptist and LDS".

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 09:28AM

I Love to See the Temple

.....just kidding

Posted by: Exmoron ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 09:32AM

No

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 09:46AM

No.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 09:54AM

The primary songs were memorable.

Some of the sacrament songs too. One was stuck in my head the other day, and I was like, okay this must be from being on the ex-Mormon boards, because that hasn't happened in like years and years!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 09:55AM

Many melodies are old, public domain, and used widely. I'm often intrigued when I recognize melodies and arrangements in my Baptist hymnalthat I remember from my Christian Science upbringing.

Related to this is an old gag:

Q: Why do Unitarians sometimes have trouble singing their hymns?
A: Because they're always reading one stanza ahead, making sure the lyrics are politically correct.

Date: May 06, 2016 09:58AM

Posted by: scaredhusband ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 10:09AM

I actually like "I'll Walk With You". It was sung quite often when I was a child. A relic of the past lost in the fight for the 15 to stay relevant.

Even now it is easy to see that the church isn't what it was when I was a child. The gospel of Jesus has been pushed out of the Mormon doctrine. I guess if I had been more perceptive I would have realized that much earlier.

I also have fond memories of being woken up to "In the Leafy Treetops", as a young kid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2016 10:27AM by scaredhusband.

Posted by: tenaciousd ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 10:12AM

Hell no.

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 10:18AM

Three Little Speckled Frogs.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 10:57AM

My grandmother's favorite was "Have I done any good in the world today" she'd also sing "when we're helping we're happy" as a signal it was time to clean up toys or clear the table.

I sing "oh hush thee my baby" to my grandkids at nap time.

The old primary book had a lot of secular songs. "Once there was a snowman" and "do as I'm doing" were fun ones because we got to stand up and act out the song.

Posted by: jojo ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 11:20AM

Follow the Prophet (Especially verse 7)

Jonah was a prophet, tried to run away,
But he later learned to listen and obey.
When we really try, the Lord won't let us fail:
That's what Jonah learned deep down inside the whale.

Swallow the prophet, follow the prophet,
Swallow the prophet; don't go astray.
Swallow the prophet, follow the prophet,
Swallow the prophet; he knows the way.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 11:44AM

No. I see them all as tools of indoctrination and they sound nightmarish to me now, although,I loved to sing "Give Said the Little Stream as a very small child.

I always thought "I am a Child of God" was disgustingly treacly even as a TBM. My great niece who is twelve sang this at a funeral recently and I felt such revulsion I could barely contain myself. Hitler youth anthem.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 12:40PM

I still like "Oh, What Do You Do in the Summertime?" and "In the Leafy Treetops."

Most Primary children today have probably never sung those songs. The fun songs have been replaced with songs of indoctrination like "Follow the Prophet."

Date: May 06, 2016 12:52PM

Kids are no longer allowed to freely enjoy music and poetry in church. That's sad.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 12:58PM

Tell me the stories of Jesus.

It may also be a mainstream Christian song.

Date: May 06, 2016 01:07PM

One more note on the subject of LDS music.
First of all: Mormons are not enthusiastic congregational singers. Most barely whisper the music. Some don't sing at all. I don't know why, but it's a huge contrast from other churches.

On the other hand, they are very enthusiastic about their Mormon Tabernacle Choir (known as MoTab), and all the other regional choirs which, at one time, used to travel around from Stake to Stake. They almost always have a Ward Choir which, when I was a member would have very talented conductors and sing a variety of music. I'm told they only use the hymnal now. Has that changed?

Also, each Ward develops it's favorites over the years, and it varied from area to area. It's not uncommon to visit another Ward in another state that sings hymns you never heard of.

Also, the key has been lowered on many of the original hymns and gospel songs as they tend to be too high for congregational singing.

The Primary Song Book has been arranged for beginners to accompany the music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2016 01:07PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: Forgetting Abigail ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 01:11PM

I actually liked The Spirit of God like a Fire is Burning...because we got to sing and shout...haha.

Posted by: Mr. Happy ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 01:18PM

My two favorites -

"Pioneer children screamed as they walked, and walked, and walked, and waaallllkkkkeeeddd."

and

"Anti-Mormon stories that the ex-mos told to meeeeeee. All about how Joseph Smith committed adulteryyyyyy."

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 01:40PM

I'll have to teach those lyrics to a certain 4 yo that I know. He would get the giggles to the point he couldn't sing. He hates church songs.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 01:30PM

Primary songs today creep me out. One of the last callings I did in the church was primary teacher. I couldn't stomach the crap indoctrination songs they were forcing down the throats of these little kids.

They should be singing Give Said the LIttle STream and NOT singing Follow the Prophet.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.