Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CrazyTapir ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 10:52PM

I don't believe in any god. But if there is a god/creator, I certainly don't believe in one who:

* would ever command a supposedly righteous person to chop the head off of an unconscious (i.e. harmless) drunk.

* would create a church necessary for people to obtain their best eternal outcome and then only involve the tiniest fraction of people, including going for hundreds upon hundreds of years without having this "necessary" church accessible to anyone.

* would require hand signals to get into heaven (Is a good person who never learned the signals denied heaven? Can a bad person who did learn the signals sneak in? Is god too stupid to discern without the handshakes?)

* is so involved in your life he helps you find your missing keys, but doesn't tend to more serious problems (i.e. 1000 children die each hour on this planet. I'm sure a portion of them have been ill and their parents have been pouring out their hearts in prayer asking for god to save them. But NO, god is too busy finding some taffy puller's misplaced keys to waste time with a dying child and devastated parents)

* sends the holy ghost to LDS and FLDS people to confirm the BoM is true and JS was a prophet, but then only sends the holy ghost to LDS people to confirm Monson is a prophet, while allowing satan to trick the FLDS into thinking Warren Jeffs is a prophet.

* kills innocent children (i.e. the slaughter of people in the great flood of Noah or the ancient american post crucifixion earthquakes - certainly there would have been children among the unbelievers)

* dictates a book word for word that requires any correction (let alone thousands of changes).

* would, in order for people to accept his church on faith, go to great lengths to change the physical world to hide any evidence of his church's claims (i.e. removing all evidence that horses, chariots, coins, sheep, oxen, steel, etc. ever existed in pre-Columbian America).

* would magically change the DNA among Native Americans to remove Israelite markers and substitute them with Asian markers all with the intent of creating an evidence-free church.

* doesn't allow all persons in a community (all friends, family, and acquaintances - many with differing beliefs) to come together in celebration of a marriage (SORRY, you can't enter this ceremony even though you are a parent of one of the persons getting married).

* thinks it is a good policy for imperfect leaders in a church to not be accountable to rank and file members.

* thinks it is a good policy for rank and file members to not question their leaders.

* would ever teach a person to put greater priority on a church and any of its arbitrary demands than over that person's own family.

* who takes 14 billion years to expand the universe, 4.5 billion to shape the earth, 3 billion years to develop life on the earth, and then only really ends up caring about the last 6,000 years.

* who happens to look like a primate.

In other words, I don't believe this universe is being run by a ridiculous, vengeful, mean, hateful, sadistic, arbitrary, moronic god.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: exldsdudeinslc ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 10:53PM

Yeah, if the god people talk about it real, he's an asshole.

Posted by: an0nr1t3n0w ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 12:53PM

not only is he an asshole but I cannot think of anyone LESS deserving of the praise and worship he craves, no demands. Talk about a celestial DIVA.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 10:55PM

I'm with you two.... if there is a Ghawd, he owes all kinds of
people an explanation. He freakin sucks hard.

Posted by: blakballoon ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 11:02PM

Perfectly summed up!

Also, a god who wanted me to be a sunbeam, and yet made me human.
Makes no sense at all.

Why the hell didn't he make me a sunbeam in the first place? Was it an accident? If so, he's not God. :D

Or is it that he deliberately made me human, then tells me he would prefer it if I was something that is impossible to attain?

Pffft God.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 11:29PM

CrazyTapir Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> * who takes 14 billion years to expand the
> universe, 4.5 billion to shape the earth, 3
> billion years to develop life on the earth, and
> then only really ends up caring about the last
> 6,000 years.

And only hundreds of thousands (in terms of his highest level of God-glory and forever family) of his children with his truths when they number in the billions upon billions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2016 11:30PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: Slumbering Minstrel ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 11:36PM

...he is laughing at us and our football teams.
-Ben Folds

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2016 11:37PM by Slumbering Minstrel.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 11:51PM

As a contrarian, and a natural cynic, I will take the position that my natural cynicism is misplaced. There IS a ghawd, and I simply don't understand the needs and wants of this deity, but since he/she/it has loosed spirits to interact with us, his/her/its creations, he/she/it has is aware of us, but just doesn't care.

It's either that, or there is no ghawd, and where's the fun in that? Without a ghawd, how does one get to be special?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 12:51PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Without a ghawd, how
> does one get to be special?

Magic. Don't need a god for magic.

Posted by: Cpete ( )
Date: May 07, 2016 02:00AM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 01:16AM

if there is a god does she love me ?

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 10:57AM

If by the word 'god' you mean, the embodiment of the immutable laws that govern the universe." Carl Sagan

Im with Carl, only the ancients had better, non anthropomorphic words for that same mystery, Tao, Logos and/or Genius.

Now, thanks to science we have glimpsed into that mystery.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2016 12:30PM by koriwhore.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 11:16AM

"would ever command a supposedly righteous person to chop the head off of an unconscious (i.e. harmless) drunk"

But that HAD to happen or a nation would dwindle in unbelief.....Oh wait, that seems to be happening anyway.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 12:47PM

Posted by: isthisnameok? ( )
Date: May 07, 2016 02:28AM

I always figured the new Testament was an apology for the old Testament; it's like "hey we're sorry god is such an ***** hole, here let me make it up to you with love, peach and harmony (are very nice, but maybe in the next world). ;-)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.