Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 07:11PM

She learned that years ago. I don't know what her sources are, because the ones I'm familiar with say he had somewhere in the neighborhood of 55 wives.

She also believes Joseph Smith had more than 39 wives.

It amazes me how apologetic these people are about all these polygamous marriages and the sordid church history, while still believing every word that comes out of SLC as the gospel truth?!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 07:19PM

Probably making reference to the women who had themselves sealed to these two prophets after their deaths.

Why are you amazed at "...how apologetic these people are about all these polygamous marriages and the sordid church history, while still believing every word that comes out of SLC as the gospel truth..."?

What would you expect TBMs to be doing?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 07:25PM

And they act like that's a good thing. Sick and twisted.

RB

Date: May 05, 2016 08:22PM

The whole culture is like that.

:/

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 07:30PM

No idea how many were too short-lived to make this list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Brigham_Young's_wives

Date: May 05, 2016 08:24PM

This list makes note of the 55 wives Briggy had.

Of course with all the misinformation the Mormons have been spoon fed over the annals of time, who's to say her information is reliable?

I'll be seeing her in a week, so I will ask for more clarification of her sources. Not sure I want to be deluded with the "I know the whole thing is true" spiel. ...

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 08:49PM

Many of these were "dynastic wives," older women, some married to Joseph Smith, and this is why the figures vary. What isn't in dispute is there were a lot of them...

/insert Cabbie plug for Mark Twain's "Roughing It" which describes young Sam Clemens meeting Brigham Young in 1862

I think a reasonable figure of those "he lived with" would be around 25-30... Eliza Webb Dee Young wrote "Wife #19: The Story of a Life in Bondage," and her story of "divorcing Brigham Young" was headline material in the 1870's. Young avoided paying alimony by securing a court ruling that he wasn't "legally married." It was also a national best-seller.

https://archive.org/details/wifenoorstoryofl00youniala

Young's "favorites" over the years varied (he seemed to gravitate towards younger ones as he aged, surprise, surprise); his last was Amelia Folsom Young for whom he built the Gardo House, which was nicknamed "Amelia's Palace."

https://www.flickr.com/photos/9005152@N02/3790236135

Date: May 05, 2016 09:26PM

"Young avoided paying alimony by securing a court ruling that he wasn't "legally married." It was also a national best-seller."

He set the bar for the 20-21st centuries divorce law!

Amelia Young was his nurse who spent winters in St. George with him. While the rest of his concubines had to suffer it out in cold, snowy, wintery SLC.

What a guy!

I was able to visit the winter home in St. George. It made my tummy turn months later when I learned one of my great 3x's grandfather's little infant daughter near St. George starved to death because the Mormon farmers who settled that area were so poor all they had for a time to eat was alfalfa. They watched her starve before their eyes, helpless to save her.

While he was living in the lap of luxury from their consecrated tithes and offerings.

:(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2016 09:40PM by Amyjo.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.