Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Shinehahbeam ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 04:48PM

Does anyone know of any news articles published in 1844 about Joseph Smith's campaign?...or commentary on his campaign ending with his death?

I know his campaign didn't last long, but I can't find much of anything. I've found articles published in church papers, commentary by members, a pamphlet by John Taylor, etc..., but nothing from outside the church.

Members will often say that Joe would have won the election if he hadn't been killed. I believe they only say that since it's kind of silly to believe that a seer would run a losing campaign. However, as far as I can tell, few people even knew that he was running by the time he died. In addition, the pamphlet put out introduced him as General Joseph Smith, Prophet, Seer and Revelator. I'm not sure what people would have thought of this in the 1840's, but I'm assuming it would have looked like a big joke...same as if one of the candidates today claimed to be a prophet.

In any case, I'm really just wondering if anybody published anything mocking him for being foolish enough to think he could win the election...you know, considering he was a fugitive and ended up in prison on treason charges. It seems like few people in the country at the time would have been less electable than Joe. Was his campaign not even noteworthy enough to be worth mentioning?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 07:06PM

It does go to show his extreme ego and blind ambition that he would consider running for president while ordaining himself a prophet at the same time he was organizing the Mormon church.

I read a historical fiction where Smith shows up at a social function of Mary Todd Lincoln and Abraham. He was received at the door, but not welcomed in.

That was the author taking artistic license to placing them in each other's paths crossing, at least that one time.

Although there is no evidence suggesting the two actually met in person, though Lincoln was familiar with who Smith was probably well known by then as a false prophet at the time Smith announced his candidacy.

http://www.ldsliberty.org/liberal-or-conservative-joseph-smiths-1844-presidential-platform/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2016 07:07PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 07:25PM

JS not only most likely met Lincoln, he also almost certainly met Douglas. Daniel H. Wells DID meet Lincoln as Wells was on the jury that convicted Lincoln's client - the only man hung in Carthage. The last case Wells was involved in was testifying in the second trial of John D. Lee - giving the signal to throw him to the wolves. l

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.