Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 09:15AM

I have an ex-wife that decided she wanted to have affairs which is one of many reasons why she is an ex-wife. She also rode a B broom but has nothing to do with the post.

The Bishop found out she was cheating. I told the Bishop I was going to divorce her. The Bishop told me that I had to forgive her and if I did not forgive her and I divorced her that he would have me exed for not following his council.

If you had a cheating spouse - did you have a Bishop that tried to make you stay with the cheater?

If you were the cheating spouse - did your Bishop try and make you stay in the marriage?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mike T. ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 10:50AM

Your bishop is full of shit, and this represents just how arbitrary the untrained Mormon clergy can be. Another bishop might have given completely different counsel. In any circumstance, he would have no right to consider church discipline for not being of the same opinion.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 10:54AM

One way to handle it would be to inform him that you are *telling* him and not asking permission.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 11:08AM

EVERYBODY tried to make me stay with the cheater. Bishop, SP, parents. Of course he was SOOOO repentant. At his high council court, which I was commanded to be at, I was asked if I felt like I had sexually satisfied him. I stayed a couple of years, found out he had cheated again and divorced him.

This time I had moved to a new ward and stake but there was still a TON of pressure to remarry him--which is what he wanted so so badly (and he was determined not to get caught cheating ever again). I was constantly reminded that we were still eternally married. I was afraid. So I remarried him.

That NEVER works out. At least, I've never seen it work, but I didn't know that at the time. When the same thing happened and I divorced him for good, I asked him why he had wanted to remarry me so badly. He said, "Because I wanted to be with my kids. And I had to accept the fact that you were part of the package deal!"

Luckily that time I didn't care what the brethren or the parents or Gawdalmighty or anyone else thought. I didn't care if I lived in a tent on the street. I was done. Even though I was still an active Mo, I knew that there was no way he'd make it to the CK, and I didn't care whether I did. The idea of eternal marriage was certainly NO draw anymore.

It is such a travesty that the mormon unpaid, untrained, unprofessional and downright stupid so-called "clergy" are giving any kind of personal counseling and advice, let alone marriage counseling. Tell the bishop to bring it on.

Posted by: lapsed ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 11:25AM

Counseling without a license is a third degree felony.

A shoe salesman suddenly has a degree in family counseling after just getting a quick head massage. Makes perfect sense.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 11:44AM

The Bish was prolly one of the "affairs".

Posted by: lolly18 ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 12:27PM

The handbook says No priesthood officer is to counsel a person on whom to marry. Nor should he counsel a person
to divorce his or her spouse. Those decisiOns must
originate and remain with the individual.

And there is no disciplinary offense called "refusing to follow bishop's instructions about my marriage"

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 01:52PM

It's still the same MO of OP.

Just like when Brigham said "I feel to sustain him" When bishop Snow used his priesthood authority to castrate a young man to get the girl. So does the good ol'boy priesthood club will remain true to the clubs mantra. "Protect the church" to the Damnation of the Handbook.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 02:11PM

Yet many Mormon's seem to believe this is a "selling point", when speaking to nevermos, at least in my experience. When we moved to Utah, our first neighbors bragged to us, in extolling the 'virtues' of their church, "and we have no paid clergy". Why do they think this is something worth bragging about? It's a good thing I didn't know then what I know now, since visiting RfM, or I'm sure I would have been considered an antagonistic neighbor, at the very least.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2016 02:12PM by cinda.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 07:19PM

Yes, and yes.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 07:24PM

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 07:40PM

I miss our previous bishop. His wife is a real hottie.

Since he stepped down they've been less active. I was disappointed last Sunday on Testimony Day, because she failed to testify as usual. When she does, I ignore her words (the usual trite insipid blabbings) but instead admire the way her thighs and butt so efficiently fill her dress.

Fortunately my wife and I have a great sex life without the need or desire to play the field. But I still find a few idle moments to conjure nasty thoughts about some of our more, um, inspirational Mormon "sisters." (Sure helps pass the time during meetings...)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.