Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 04:06AM

Continued from...
http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1810973

I can't believe that nobody has mentioned "CALLED TO SERVE" yet. That hymn makes me break out in hives and sends my blood pressure up 60 points.

Other dishonorable mentions...

Love at Home
Praise to the Man
Ye Elders of Israel

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Afraid Of Mormons ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 05:58AM

"I am a child of God."
"I hope they call me on a mission."

When my grandchildren play those on the piano, in my own home, I want to strangle someone--instant rage! I regain my composure, and cheerfully make a request for them to play certain favorite songs of mine.

Besides the obnoxious lyrics, I hate the way the Mormons line up all the family's evidence of overpopulation in a large group to sing those songs, at funerals. Oooo! Grandma would be so proud to see all of the numbers of kids that she barely knows. My children were made to stand up there, even though they didn't know the song. They were told it didn't matter whether or not they sang--they had to stand and be part of the large group, to show off. Their grandmother stopped seeing them or writing to them, when their father ran off with another woman, 8 years before.

"I Am A Child of God" triggers all that anger.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 06:11AM

Do What Is Right

The words suck, and the melody is worse. I'm not sure who thought "The Old Oaken Bucket" was a good source for a hymn tune.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 07:16AM

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 07:47AM

Praise to the Man

1. Because why are alleged Christian's praising a man when their God is no respecter of persons.

2. Because Joseph Smith isn't worthy of praise

3. Most importantly for the theft of Scotland the Brave.

Posted by: byuatheist nli ( )
Date: May 07, 2016 01:35AM

By the gods, I hate that song! I made up my own words praising Russell's Teapot, and I sing them whenever the congregation sings "Praise to the Man". At least Russell's Teapot didn't steal other men's wives.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 09:39AM

We thank thee O God for a Prophet

Hands down.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 12:09PM

Any hymn sang at a death march pace.
Any hymn sang more than once a year.

Golden Plates
Book of Mormon Stories

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 09:37PM

EXON46 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any hymn sang at a death march pace.

Yeah, I can't even think of the name of it, but there was a sacrament song which sounded like a funeral durge.

The other one I hate goes, "Oh it is wonderful, that he should care for me, enough to die for me." What? Do they listen to these words?

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: May 07, 2016 03:46AM

"I Stand All Amazed"

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 01:45PM

Love at Home, Put Your Shoulder to the Wheel, We Thank The O God for a Prophet, God Be With You Til We Meet Again

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: May 07, 2016 03:48AM

Somehow I think the last of those is different. I still love all those old closing hymns because of what they signified--Going Home!!

Posted by: Holy the Ghost ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 01:51PM

infantilizing the adults as if it's a virtue to be childish.

No, it's not "childlike" it's childish

Honorable Mention:
A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief. Because I start to lose interest after about 60 verses. By verse 500 my eyes are flipping over into the back of my head, I'm twitching, and praying for the sweet sweet embrace of death

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: May 07, 2016 12:29AM

LOL!

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 02:02PM

Sometimes I'm jealous that priesthood meeting doesn't bother with hymns in our ward. We sing opening and closing in RS.

Posted by: Al Shiffler ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 02:17AM

Who Stole The Kishka

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 02:33AM

Follow the prophet

I hate that they indoctrinate those tiny kids that aren't even capable of saying the words yet. It's disgusting.

After that, there's almost too many to name.

Love at home
I am a child of God
Families can be together forever(Oh please stop the threats!)
Im so glad when Daddy comes home (yeah, not so much)

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 08:21AM

"I'm so glad when daddy comes home"

My dad came home consistently at 5:00. I consistently found somewhere else to be. For as far back as I can remember.

I would never sing along with that song in primary. It felt like lying.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 07, 2016 12:59AM

His father was abusive, and we had much more fun when Daddy was out of town on extended business trips. My son was 10 or 11 when I joined as a convert, and while he generally enjoyed the new people we met, he absolutely did NOT understand why he should be glad when Daddy came home. That wasn't the case with us.

I had to explain that in theory, daddies were supposed to be nice and loving, like mine was. But just as there are some dogs that are mean, and will bite, there are also some daddies who cannot be depended on to be nice.

The two of them haven't had much of a relationship since my son grew up, though son says he is planning to drive to the state where his father and stepmother live, for a visit, in a month or two.

Posted by: allegro ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 09:36AM

When I joined the church and taught primary I was surprised when "Jesus Loves Me" and "He's Got The Whole World In His Hands" were not sung. So I taught the sunbeams "Jesus Loves Me" in class and you would have thought I taught them a 9 Inch Nails song. I was to ONLY teach "approved" songs. Why oh why did I not leave then?

Posted by: escapee nli ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 10:53AM

If You Could Hie to Kolob is one of the most gawdawful hymns I've ever had the misfortune to hear.

Anything by Eliza Snow.

Other Susan

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 01:33PM

I was a musician and involved in music and performing before I converted. I studied music theory, and have written music, melodies and lyrics.

I spent decades conducting congregational singing in the LDS Church. I got to choose all of the hymns so I used most of them that I had heard sung before. There were a few that I had never heard.

I liked the music. Some was very familiar as it was written and used in Christian Churches, one of which I attended most of my life up until I converted as a young woman.

I can't say I "hated" any of the music. Some I liked better than others, and some I didn't use as they were not familiar or too difficult for congregational singing.

I am always more interested in the music than the lyrics. It's the music that moves me, not necessarily the lyrics. The music can be sung to different lyrics, also. In fact, there are codes in the LDS Hymnal to facilitate that.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 01:52PM

all I remember is that song with the lyrics "deep in the mountainside" had a bitchin' power chord. I can't remember the name of the song.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 02:03PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
> all I remember is that song with the lyrics "deep
> in the mountainside" had a bitchin' power chord. I
> can't remember the name of the song.

Some of you will recognize this one....That's from The Golden Plates.... a little ditty about the Book of Mormon and the Lamanites.. ancient history...record kept by Nephi...
(This one needs to be dropped!)

Date: May 07, 2016 05:09AM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
> all I remember is that song with the lyrics "deep
> in the mountainside" had a bitchin' power chord. I
> can't remember the name of the song.

You're probably referring to the diminished C chord attached to the two quarter notes of "mountain" (1st verse) and "man of" (second verse).

Posted by: applesauce ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 01:53PM

Pioneer children sang as they walked and walked and walked and walked and walked and walked and walked and walked and walked....

and walked.......

and walked.....

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 09:03PM

applesauce Wrote:
> Pioneer children sang as they walked and walked
> and walked and walked and walked and walked and
> walked and walked and walked....
>
> and walked.......

I am pretty sure that one of the lines originally said "happy and gay." I learned this song in the 70s.

But we know how that word changed its meaning in the 1980s and the lyrics were adjusted accordingly.

Date: May 07, 2016 05:23AM

messygoop Wrote:
> applesauce Wrote:
> ------------------------------------------------
>
> I am pretty sure that one of the lines originally
> said "happy and gay." I learned this song in the
> 70s.
>
> But we know how that word changed its meaning in
> the 1980s and the lyrics were adjusted
> accordingly.

That probably would have been the round, "Little Pioneer Children." The line which now reads "Gladly helping each other, merry and happy WERE THEY" used to read, "Gladly helping each other, merry and happy AND GAY." We certainly cannot have little morgbots singing about being gay.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 08:56PM

Scrub the Toilets!

oops...

I meant Keep the Commandments.

Such a dreary and whiny type of song.

Posted by: canuck guy ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 09:34PM

Welcome, Welcome, Sabbath Morning

Notoriously slow and dragging, self-righteous, self-satisfied lyrics, verses far too long.

Posted by: jaded ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 09:50PM

I always HATED how every single effing song seemed to be all about "us vs them." Everything was a damn marching song, battle cry, or war ballad. Examples include We Are All Enlisted ( but, of course, we're happy about it), Like Ten Thousand Leigons Marching, We Are Marching On To Glory, Behold A Royal Army, and Called To Serve, and Up, Awake Ye Defenders of Zion spring immediately to mind.

Posted by: byuatheist nli ( )
Date: May 07, 2016 01:33AM

What about "Onward, Christian Soldiers, marching as to war / With the cross of Jesus going on before!"?

Date: May 07, 2016 05:25AM

byuatheist nli Wrote:
> What about "Onward, Christian Soldiers, marching
> as to war / With the cross of Jesus going on
> before!"?

It's certainly a militant hymn, but the LDS can only be blamed for including it in their hymnal as far as that one is concerned. They didn't write that one.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.