Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 12:14AM

These statements will be taken to mean to disconnect from anyone and everyone that has left the LDS Church by many LDS folks, including family and friends. We are seeing it happen all ready.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2016/04/23/mormon-leader-at-byu-graduation-disconnect-immediately-from-those-who-have-lost-their-faith/

"The faithless often promote themselves as the wise who can rescue the rest of us from our naiveté. One does not need to listen to assertive apostates for long to see the parallels between them and the Corihors and Nehors and Sharoms of The Book of Mormon. We should disconnect immediately and completely from listening to the proselytizing efforts of those who have lost their faith, and instead reconnect promptly with the holy spirit. The adversary sees spiritual apathy and half-hearted obedience as opportunities to encircle us with his chains and bind us, and he hopes to destroy us. We escape his chains as we voluntarily chose to bind ourselves instead to God... "

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 12:43AM

I read two different thoughts in what you quoted...'

First, don't listen, don't have anything to do, with people who want to talk you out of being TBM; disconnect from listening to such people about their lack of belief in the church. That makes perfect sense to me, coming from them. But it cuts both ways: don't come preaching to me, cuz that's when you're going to get an ear load of my personal truths.

The second thought is "don't be a half-ass mormon or Satan will snag your butt and drag you off to hell." "Bind" yourself to ghawd, whatever the hell that means. Probably "bind yourself to ghawd is shorthand for 'pay, pray, obey'...

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 12:48AM

It's another word for "shunning". The morg ripped the Scientology cult again. Or was it vice versa??

Posted by: John Mc ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 12:57AM

This new message has destroyed my 35 year marriage. For decades my wife and I have agreed to disagree and carried on happily married. Now with this new angle of shunning we are apart since two weeks ago. It is heart breaking and I just hope she finds her way through these silver tongued Devils.

Posted by: Lori C ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 03:08AM

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 02:05PM

I am so sorry, too, Dave.

:(

Date: May 05, 2016 01:10AM

My view: The typical Mormon will take this to mean to disconnect even before anyone says anything as a protection from that evil wily character Satan who will try to snare them kicking and screaming out of the church..and they will not even wait for a " the proselytizing efforts" -- they will disconnect because they are so afraid someone will inadvertently say something.. they don't like, and go "OFF" like Chris and Kristi just die. We'll see a lot more of this kind of behavior I'm sure. This is WAR in their view ..Satan is after them, and some will take this to mean that they cannot even associate with those that have left the church...

It will go something like this:

Sister Peterson: Did you hear that our cousin John and his wife Patty have left the church?

Sister Andersen: Yes, they did leave, but they can't leave the church alone.

Sister Peterson: Well, I'm not going to get into it with them. We're told to disconnect and we know they are likely to start talking about it so I think it's best to just cut off all contact. I'm certainly not going to allow our kids to play with theirs anymore.
I won't take a chance they will be contaminated by those that are led by Satan.

Sister Andersen: I agree. Good thinking. Better to protect the kids.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 01:13AM

Apparently, that's the only way to do it now.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 11:04AM

But doesn't this instruction to "disconnect" and not even listen or discuss Mormonism's problems the exact opposite of what God commanded?

D&C 71:7-8 - "...confound your enemies: call upon them to meet you both in public and in private... let them bring forth their strong reasons against the Lord..."

This seems to be saying that, instead of disconnecting, Mormons are to INVITE discussion.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 11:27AM

That was back at a time when the church was slightly more true. Things have changed since then...

Posted by: en passant ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 11:51AM

I've never been assertive in my apostasy, my agnosticism, or my atheism. I've never tried to de-convert anyone. I have never engaged in any "proselytizing efforts" or tried to encircle, bind, or destroy anyone.

Quite to the contrary, I have defended my apostasy when it was attacked by assertive Mormons, but only after warning them in advance that I would do so. In fact, as long as they leave me alone and refrain from trying to institutionalize the tenets of their wacky religion in the law of the land, I could not care less if they grope their ignorant way through eternity. I just don't give a shiz.

Date: May 05, 2016 12:42PM

This is a new kind of LDS Church. This is the power of fear! There is more brewing, in my view. We're going to hear a lot more leaders putting the screws to the members.

The Internet has put the real factual information out there, easy to tap into and wham, members are leaving faster than ever before. It's not just the "inactive members" it's often some of their strongest leaders.
Then the statement on the children of SSM couples slammed the door shut and many more won't tolerate such discrimination.

Now, it's my view, that the LDS Church top leaders are operating out of fear. Real fear! They are not able to control the members like they used to. So now they must take more of their freedom away.

They have to know that the claims are so weak, and the testimonies so fragile that they can be destroyed very easily.
The idea to "disconnect" is a fear tactic. Run, hide, insulate, circle the wagons-- refuse to talk to those who have left the church, never return their phone calls. WHY? Well, we all know they "can't leave the church alone" and they might say something negative about the church. Don't invite them to family parties, either-- same reason.

Scare the members into thinking that even talking with a former member will bring Satan into their lives as they don't have the Spirit of the Lord. Many will do as they are told, taking this notion of "disconnect" to the extreme.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 01:54PM

As I have loved you, disconnect yourself from others...

Date: May 05, 2016 02:02PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As I have loved you, disconnect yourself from
> others...

Odd, isn't it? I wonder if Monson will follow suit with a message in the Ensign.. so it's the prophet speaking and not just one of the first quorum of seventy -- a general authority who is just voicing his opinion...!!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 02:05PM

SusieQ#1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Elder Berry Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > As I have loved you, disconnect yourself from
> > others...
>
>
> Odd, isn't it?

For a "Church of JESUS CHRIST" yes, more than a bit.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 04:49PM

They used to demand 90% of your spare time (and thoughts) and 10+% or your (pre-family) income (in perpetuity). Now it's 100% LDS worship. Not My Sweet Lord; not life/ love/ self/ family/ friends, or one another.

Nothing outside LDSink exists. Close your eyes, hearts & minds to everything-everyone (that could share with you, amuse you or connect with you, enlighten you, or that you could naturally normally be friends with) but us: LDS (laughing-damned-stock). Life outside this 'click' is not always pretty (though it could be much more enlightening, beautiful and naturally more satisfying...) and could be dangerous and or scary (especially if & when you learn the truth about this NST [not so (straight &) true] 'church') but obviously not as scary or dangerous as the ldsc.

Don't talk to strangers children. Remember everyone is a stranger. or a child. Don't be a stranger. Don't act like a kid! No one is stranger than a Mormoni. This will cause them to be even more estranged. Sustain and maintain a bigger laughing stock and an even smaller (can't re)member (shi_).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2016 04:53PM by moremany.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 06:08PM

The overachievers will prove their spiritual superiority by initiating pre-emptive disconnection based on judging the devotion of others.

An example--the Orem neighbor who wouldnt let her 11 year old play with my child because she heard that our nineteen year OLD--who did not live at home--smoked.

Mormons have been judging and shunning for years. Now they cant deny it. I wait for the documentary like the one done on Scientology.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 11:10PM

One problem with the church is the liberties it takes in people's personal lives. They routinely cross personal boundaries and violate your limits. If you complain or disagree, there is a price to pay. The only cure is to resign.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.