Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: overit ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 05:18PM

most hated LDS hymn:Discuss.

My choice has to be "Love at Home" played at a snail's pace. My marital home was the antithesis of love. I particularly despise verse 2:
In the cottage there is joy
When there's love at home;
Hate and envy ne'er annoy
When there's love at home.
Roses bloom beneath our feet;
All the earth's a garden sweet,
Making life a bliss complete
When there's love at home.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: pettigrew ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 05:19PM

The opening hymn.

Posted by: applesauce ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 05:23PM

ughhhh! That was my mom's favorite hymn. The thought of it makes me sick to my stomach.

She was always blaming the disharmony in our home on us kids, when she and my dad were the main cause, them and their stupid nut case religion. YUCK ! (skin crawling!)

My brother played the piano once for our small branch SM. He played "Come ye disconsolate". What a depressing song!

applesauce

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 05:27PM

I never cared for "How Great the Wisdom and the Love".
A very dirge-like sacrament hymn.

Oh, and another post elsewhere reminds me - I didn't like "I Stand All Amazed". Another whiny sacrament hymn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2016 05:31PM by seekyr.

Posted by: Forgetting Abigail ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 05:27PM

Bruce R Self-Righteouser-Than-You McConkie, I Believe in Christ

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 06:19PM

Yes, that was the absolute worst. Horrible, boring, inexpressive lyrics combined with joyless, domineering music.

Posted by: scaredhusband ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 05:29PM

Ever since I was an adolescent I have changed the lyrics "love at home" to "No one home".

Years later it is still the only way I hear the song in my head. Being introverted the changed lyrics have been true. There is beauty all around when there is no one home.

I get queasy every time I hear praise to the man. Or Joseph Smiths First prayer. I feel nauseous and an incredible desire to defecate in inappropriate places.(On people's pillows) Maybe I never really made it out of adolescence....

Posted by: Forgetting Abigail ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 06:26PM

We used to add "in the bathtub" to the end of every hymn title. My fave was, "I Stand All Amazed In the Bathtub"

Posted by: Siix ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 05:30PM

IN...OUR....LOVELY....DESERET!!!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 05:32PM

Whichever one has the lyric, "parents kind and dear." I hate that fucking lie.

Posted by: applesauce ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 05:36PM

That would be "I am a child of god". Yup....crap. applesauce

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 05:59PM

Count me in here.

I loathed that song with a vengeance.

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 05:46PM

I believe in Christ, by mckonkie it's much too long. Also The Spitit of God for the same reason

Posted by: Shinehahbeam ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 05:48PM

Praise to the Man...for obvious reasons...and for forever ruining a nice Scottish folk song.

Posted by: robinsaintcloud ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 05:54PM

Rejoice the lord is king, change the words "lift up your hearts, lift up your voice" to " lift up your dress, pull down your pants", I dunno, it just sounds like more fun.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 05:59PM

Kids song but I loved it as a kid in my hopes for my mommy to be a good mommy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTDdSGKHz0c

What a epic disappointment.

If all flowers reminded me of my mother I would hate them.

Edit: Unintentional funny.

At the end of the video above it says all photos used courtesy of https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=morguefile.com

Morgue File? How freaking apropos!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2016 06:02PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 06:01PM

Love at Home was a close second. They're both baaad!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 06:12PM

A Mormon work song is an awful thing to hear. The second should be "Lumps at Home."

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 06:20PM

Put your face to their grindstone and push their wrongs. Do your duty to your family to get along. They all are jerks that think you shirk, put your face to their stone.

Just like Joseph and his head in a hat!

Date: May 04, 2016 06:22PM

Only he who does something
is worthy to live,
the world has no use for the drone.

So shoot me already!

Date: May 04, 2016 06:42PM

I don't know, drones were HUGELY popular this past Christmas. Apparently the world found a use for them.

Posted by: an0nr1t3n0w ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 06:21PM

A poor wayfaring man of grief.

Posted by: abcdomg ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 06:28PM

CTR and all the other songs that brainwash children.

Posted by: billdorgan ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 06:28PM

Putcher shoulder to the wheel...
Countcher many blessings...
Yoo hoo Jesus
Truth reflects upon the senseless...

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 06:30PM

I have no particular favorite. I loathe them all equally.

Those hymns really get the blood going, don't they? After a Sunday morning pretending to sing along I like to do something really exciting, like watching concrete dry or waiting for an ice cube to melt. The life of a half-ass Mormon is one thrill after another, I tell ya...

Date: May 04, 2016 06:35PM

I once lived in a place that was so dry you could actually watch the water evaporate. For example, off the floor or off a table.

And it was impossible to keep enough water out for the cat!

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 06:32PM

"Families Can Be Together Forever." A primary song that made its way into the hymn book.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 06:36PM

'Praise to the Man' and 'The Spirit of God'. Ugh. And both of them get chosen to be sung wayyyyy too often.

I noticed something several years ago. The few hymns that I did like, my parents told me were regular protestant hymns that the church just liked enough to put in their hymn book.

I've never understood why 'Amazing Grace' isn't in the Hymn book either. I've been told people have advocated for it, but it never makes the cut or something.

If I had to guess, hymns get approved- just like everything else- by the big 15.

Date: May 04, 2016 06:46PM

Now I always liked "The Spirit of God". The vain side of myself like hearing my own voice singing it.

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 06:51PM

Re; "Amazing Grace"

My guess is the hymnal committee (which, there hasn't been one in 30 years--anyone know if they're ever going to put out a new hymnal?) found the references in the last verse ("When we've been there ten thousand years, bright shining like the sun") theologically objectionable because they don't depict the correct, correlated Mormon choose-your-own-adventure heaven.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 06:43PM

WE THANK THEE OH GAWD FOR A PROFIT

RB

Posted by: overit ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 06:46PM

we weren't allowed o sing amazing grace because "mormons don't believe in grace"Maybe it will get added next time because now they do believe in grace?

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 06:55PM

There are actually a lot of good hymns in there, mainly the ones the Mormons have stolen from other denominations (and left most of the verses out *cough*A Mighty Fortress*cough*). The big problem is they're played by incompetent "organists" who only know how to turn on their electronic "organs" and press a factory preset to get some sound rather than register correctly, at very slow tempos, while someone unnecessarily waves their arms around to "conduct" because, goshdangit, everyone has to have a job! And then they boast about how they have no paid positions.

Well, they get what they pay for.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 07:02PM

"How Firm a Foundation" has got to be on the list somewhere, especially that line "...you, who unto Jesus for refuge have fled..."

Because the music repeats, there is a break after "Jesus," and that part of the line is repeated, which comes out as:

"Yoohoo unto Jesus! Yoohoo unto Jesus! Yoohoo unto Jesus!..."

But then there are a few hymns that I still love after all these years, and they can even bring tears to my eyes:
Come, Come, Ye Saints
The Wint'ry Day, Descending to Its Close
The Spirit of God Like a Fire is Burning
Count Your Many Blessings
School Thy Feelings, O My Brother!

The last time I was in a Mormon sacrament meeting many years ago with my parents, after I had been out of the church for thirty years or more, my dad said to me after the service, "Well, how did it feel to be singing the old hymns?"

"Dad," I said, "There was not a single hymn sung today that was being sung when I was in the church. They are all new. I never have heard any of them before today."

He didn't respond.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 07:06PM

My friend was married to a real asshat who used to throw things around and swear constantly. Sometimes I was there when he arrived home from wherever he was. He would drive in the driveway and gun the engine, then slam the car door and then slam the house door to the point where pics fell off the walls. She and I used to look at one another and sing "Love At Home" just to piss him off. It only worked if he was paying attn but it made her feel better. Another antitheses of LOVE at home!

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 07:07PM

I always thought "Love at home" was the outing of the cruel joke that was real life.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.