Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 10:03AM

This has been the most interesting question I've found that I can ask people who tell me they were at some church event, especially mormons.

I generally get two types of response:

1. They tell me some simple teaching that everybody knows, so I challenge them to confirm they didn't already have that information. They always reply that they did. That leads to a semi-productive conversation about whether they've actually learned anything new about their religion since they were children. They never do.

2. They completely ignore the question and talk about how much they enjoy the fellowship, to which I reply it sounds like they don't have a very good circle of friends if they need to go to some organization to find fellowship. That always goes over like a fart in a spacesuit.

I was reminded of this by the other thread on Home Teaching in which a poster talked about how bored their BIL was and ultimately made their exit.

Sometimes it's good to remind our religious friends that they know very well they're not getting anything substantive out of their religion. They just talk about the same old things over and over and over again.

That's what I think the appeal of mormonism was for the early saints. There was actually some new shit to talk about after hundreds and hundreds of years of the same old doctrine.

Since mormons haven't had any new revelation since the early 1800s, I think they're starting to get bored again. Not a bad thing to continue to remind them of...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 10:51AM

This reminds me of the Mormons who claim they learn something new every time they go to the temple. Gag me with a spoon!

The first time I went to the temple I saw a grade school level play whose script had nothing new in it except for Lucifer, the Methodist minister, having the coolest apron, and being the one in charge of keeping Elohim clued in as to what was happening.
Oh, and I learned the correct way to commit suicide making sure to disembowel BEFORE slitting the throat as vice versa doesn't work as well.

I learned nothing at all in subsequent visits but could count on family every time we got to the Celestial Room to claim they had learned so much. ??????

Mormons don't learn. They memorize and repeat. It is not the same thing.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 08:40PM

You have insulted grade school children. As a fourth grader we had a far more interesting club, which I recognized my first time through.

Date: May 04, 2016 08:43PM

You are right. My apologies to all the grade school children everywhere that I have maligned with my careless statement.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 12:23PM

This morning around 4:30 am, I learned that the distal PCB protrusion requirement on a medical imaging cable I am doing the process development on, was off by about 0.015" relative to the requirement of 0.531 +/- 0.010, after being assembled as designed.

The design engineer will soon learn something new too....it needs fixin'.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 07:00PM

I hate when that happens.

Posted by: bordergirl ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 06:52PM

Well, not that it is important or anything, but I learned that Michael Weatherly (Tony DeNozzo) on NCIS is moving on to newer pastures largely because the show and his character's role has suffered since Coté de Pablo (Ziva) was released (fired)for asking to be paid more in line with the other actors. It confirmed what I strongly suspected.

Why should I care? I just thought the show with the interplay between the two was miles better than any other show on television.

I think the show's producers were penny-wise and pound-foolish. People (and actors) are not widgets.

Besides, it makes a needed break from thinking about the political situation and the state of the "electorate."

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 10:38AM

I also think the demands of a popular network drama have to wear over a period of years. The actors are up and out before dawn and may not get home until very late at night. They basically live at the set for much of the year. If a role is not quite as fulfilling as it used to me, it's no surprise that an actor might want to take some time off and then look for more interesting opportunities. I'm sure that Michael Weatherly has already made tons of money off the show, and he will be living off of the residuals for many more years to come as well.

Contract renewal time presents yet another window of possible change for both the actor and the network.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 07:01PM

I learned that there was a big rock under a bush on our fence line and the plow slammed right into it when I was working the back 20 this morning.

I thought I knew where all the big rocks were.

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 01:01AM

Big rocks are very clever. They wait until they sense that you are feeling sure of yourself. Then they wiggle themselves up to the surface, in places where you can't possible see them until it is too late.

They use the same mechanism, in reverse, by which Joseph Smith's buried treasure always buried itself deeper and deeper to elude the people who were counting on JS for great wealth,

You might want to consider using your experience to start a new religion. Just don't mess around with anyone's printing presses. Or wives, sisters, and daughters.

Date: May 05, 2016 10:19AM

I love the idea of the "reverse Joseph" for things that seem to suddenly surface out of nowhere.

His hunted treasures may have burrowed ever deeper to avoid discovery, but his ugly and disturbing deeds just keep popping up like popcorn in a very inconvenient fashion for those Mormies.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 12:39PM

A girl that I dated in college Dad was killed when he was plowing a field and hit a rock that flipped the tractor over on him.

He had plowed the same field for over 20 years and never had problems with rocks during that time.

You just never know what can happen.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 01:09AM

was it a rough rolling stone ?

Date: May 04, 2016 07:12PM

What I learned today from reading the latest from the Mormon church is that their arrogance and ignorance have not yet reached their zeniths.

At work I learned that my most difficult client hasn't reached their zenith either. There's plenty more to come.

I also learned that when orchids send out a huge mass of roots and long green root tips that it is because they are underfed and under watered. There is a Sunday school lesson in there somewhere.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 07:36PM

I learn a variety of misc things everyday by reading the news, and a variety of articles. I learn something I didn't know about a person, also. Sometimes it's a major piece of new information, sometimes it's something small. I also learn new things about some of my grown kids.

When I was in the LDS Church I couldn't figure out how people could attend the meetings week after week, year after year for decades hearing exactly the same things over and over and over.

I'm an NCIS fan and I too thought the DeNozzo/Ziva part of their script was what made the show better than so many others. Those two were major characters ..that carried the show, in my view.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 07:45PM

Without Ziva the show is flat. However I did not learn that at choich today.

The thing that is reinforced each and every Sunday is that radicallism is alive and well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2016 07:45PM by desertman.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 11:57PM

Interesting post. I think you are onto something there with asking the question. Why should people go to church for 3 hours every week when they learned all of that stuff by the time they were 16?

Before I left the church, I was getting NOTHING out of church. I was trying to become more spiritual, trying to learn, and there WERE no 'Aha moments'. No new information. It was just the same old stuff every week.

I think that contributed to my spiritual discontent, and my willingness to finally question.

I just don't get it. How could ANYONE stand to hear the same stuff over and over again for their whole lives? What about further light and knowledge?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2016 11:58PM by imaworkinonit.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 12:18AM

Hubby is OBSESSED with Diners Driveins and Dives. This was a Polish place but he said it was just like what he had and loved so much in Russia. ONLY time he has ever gained weight on a road trip. I think I will try it this weekend. Anyone with experience/input drop me a line!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/knights-cutlet.html

I am sorry Tony and Ziva didn't get a longer run. She was KICKASS.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 10:50AM

Susan I/S Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hubby is OBSESSED with Diners Driveins and Dives.
> This was a Polish place but he said it was just
> like what he had and loved so much in Russia.
> ONLY time he has ever gained weight on a road
> trip. I think I will try it this weekend. Anyone
> with experience/input drop me a line!
>

Take your husband to Las Vegas and have a meal at Guy Fieri's overpriced restaurant at the Linq Hotel. He'll get over anything Guy Fieri related at that point. :)

Date: May 05, 2016 10:53AM

That recipe looks amazing. Let us know how it turns out.

Date: May 05, 2016 12:48PM

Oh yeah! An unusually complex character portrayed by an unusually talented actress.

She made it possible for Tony to actually go beyond the limited outlines of his character.

My husband and I both think the show screwed up big time when they wouldn't renegotiate her salary.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 12:46AM

The last David Bowie LP has artwork that changes appearance in direct sunlight. Apparently a blank image lights up with stars.

Date: May 05, 2016 10:28AM

I learned the hard way that any changes in diet of a diabetic individual (in this case my cat,) must be gradual in nature. Poor kitty went into hypoglycemic shock, but I acted quickly to pull him out of it. He is at the vet's today and is doing much better, thank goodness. :(

Date: May 05, 2016 12:48PM

Glad to hear it!

Posted by: dimmesdale ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 11:03AM

was in the Ed show in the 2000s.
Along with Julie Bowen who is now on Modern Family.
haha!

I didn't learn that. I just remembered it.

Date: May 05, 2016 12:58PM

New new new just today!

I read a recipe in the NYT for Wild King Salmon with(get this) Savory Whipped Cream.

I never knew about savory whipped cream. I live for whipped cream. I would eat a bale of hay if you put enough whipped cream on it. Whipped cream solves more of life's problems than even wine.

You semi whip the cream and then add two teaspoons Dijon mustard, 1/2 tsp lemon zest, Pinch of Cayenne, 1 TBS snipped chives and finish whipping.

I am so trying this this weekend.

A new way to have whipped cream. Just when there is no hope the sun shines through.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 02:40PM

The abbreviation for April in Portuguese.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 01:57AM

All about motor oil viscosity and what all those numbers like 10w40 mean.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.