Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: shiz ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 06:39PM

I am curious to know who would be here. I was a regular poster 1999 to about 2005 when I went dark after finding myself fully extracted. Recently, I have found I have been able to help others and so wanted to reach out again to anyone newly unbound in the GTA area. I have several longtime friends, also out in Southern Ontario, and we maintain some connections.

Myself, I used to produce the church televsion show for Canada, did a European mission, got married to a pretty amazing woman, still going 29 years later, who left when I did. Raised out kids without the Morg. I have not gone out of my way to 'kick up the dust' as I have most of my family still active (and they dont interfere), but I don't mind sharing and helping other people going through the escape journey.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 07:28PM

I don't live there, but spent some time there in the early 90's. I recall writing in my long since discarded journal that I thought it was a great city where a person could have a lot of fun, and that it was too bad I was there on a mission...

Posted by: CornFlake Reject ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 10:25PM

What Prez did you have? I was there in the early 90s. I had Smith, Potter, then Boyer.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 11:14PM

Smith. The whole time.

Posted by: GC ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 07:31PM

I'm east of Toronto

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 10:34PM

I went to church in Toronto from 1975 to 1995, 1998 to 1999, and then from 2000 to around the beginning of 2004 when I left for good.

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 11:29PM

I was raised in GTA, closer to Hamilton...

But I now live between Toronto and Detroit

And the Raptors just beat Indiana in game 7. And I drank and some Molson Canadian watching it.

We The North!!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 07:35AM

Oy right. That space between Toronto and Michigan, where many an upstate New Yorker has been known to get lost on the drive back from Toronto. They take a wrong turn unbeknownst to them, and next thing they know they end up somewhere along the border of Michigan. I kid you not!

Hasn't happened to me *yet* though I'm not great on directions myself in the Toronto highway system. GPS saved my butt when passing through.

:)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2016 07:35AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Jojo ( )
Date: May 07, 2016 08:16PM

Happened to me! I still don't know what happened! Wasted two hours because of it.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 12:53AM

There goes those Toronto guys again...centre of the universe...LOL

RB

Posted by: GC ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 07:54AM

Hey Ron:

Q. How many Torontonians does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A. One; he (she) holds the bulb and the rest of the world turns around him (her)! : )

Date: May 02, 2016 12:56AM

What? I'd say that Utah in the Centre of the Universe around here, being about Mormons.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 01:39AM

I used to work for a company in Markham which is long out of business.

Posted by: YYZ ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 01:45AM

I'm a BIC XMO, Toronto 2nd, Toronto 5th, Brampton, Halton Hills wards.

Fully extricated now (resigned a few years ago after being fully inactive for over 15 years).

Much of my extended family is still in.

I have a long German surname that you'd likely recognize if you were in any of those above wards.

Posted by: Toronto Boy ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 08:06AM

I too was in Toronto second and fifth ward. You would know me and we were a very committed family back in those days.My day was the ward clerk for many many years under the Davies.

Posted by: shiz ( )
Date: May 07, 2016 04:02PM

I spent the years 1979 to 1987 traveling to dances and events in Etobicoke from my base in Scarborough. Tht included a lot of youth conferences and trip to Palmyra and camping trips to Kawarthas, Out of the 10 or so guys I grew up with in the church in the East end, I can count 6 who are no longer involved. Interesting fact, they all moved out of Toronto to find lives elsewhere!

Posted by: Former TO TBM ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 03:10AM

Cool! I used to live in TO years ago and could never really bring myself to like being TBM. I tried to play along but something inside was just nagging at me. Could it be - the doctrine, the cultishness, the ridiculousness of the Temple, silly expectations placed on people, the inability to socialize with others normally while in such a restrictive "church" .....and all the rest of it?

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: May 07, 2016 06:40PM

Hey, isn't Toronto the capital of Canada? :D :D :D

Date: May 07, 2016 06:44PM

Used to be the capital of Upper Canada, now is the capital of Ontario. And no, in spite of other people's erroneous perception of Torontonians, they do not consider themselves to be the centre of the universe. That's just what other people say about us.

We're actually a very inclusive lot. I love my city. I'm proud of it and its multi-culture. But I think that anyone should feel that way about their own city.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: May 07, 2016 07:06PM

I actually enjoy Toronto very much! World class entertainment, museums, and cuisine. It's a fantastic city. I'm excited to be going to Quebec on business and plan to get to Ottawa for a couple weeks of days.

If Eastern and Western Canadians think there's rivalry, try asking Californians which area of our state is best (a sure-fire way of starting a heated argument). What ever you do, don't mention the word "water."

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 07, 2016 07:04PM

who is impacted by the fire.

Take care and be safe!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.