Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon for today ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 03:52PM

So si overheard some of my mormon family members talking about this lady who has had a terrible life and how depressed she is and how happiness may just never happen for her in this life but how maybe that's ok because she can help people through there trials by watching her go through hers so its ok if she never has any happiness in this life and they acted like they were totally fine with it and that it was spiritual even now don't get me wrong I think its wonderful to help people but to say that someone might not get to have ANY happiness at all until " the next life" and act totally fine with it just seems more than a little cruel and totally effed up to me and just does NOT leave me with a good feeling at all especially when those family members talking about how "spiritual" it is that she might not get to ever be happy freak out when one little eenie weenie semi annoying thing happens to them for example one time one of there birthday cakes got smashed the people at the store who packaged it accidentally smashed it just a little and they freaked out sayin how wrong it was that that happened to them so its totally A ok if someone gets NO joy until "the next life" but if your damn cake gets smashed its a horrible injustice? Really?!?! Ugh just seems very screwed up to me! Ya its totally fine if someone gets no joy in life just as long as its not me how very lds of them! Not selfish at all folks! And these family members are not the only Mormons ive heard say that about how some people will never get any happiness until the next life and they all act totally fine with it! The thought of someone going through there entire life without joy makes me feel sad and makes me want to barf is ot just me or does this mindset disturb anyone else?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 04:06PM

The mind set that bothers me in Mormonism is the notion that this life is just a preparation for some after life that is going to be so much greater. Some Mormons also tend to think in terms of making the present part of their imaginary after life. Some like to threaten people about what is going to happen to them at the judgement bar of Christ and how they are anxious to see you get your punishment.
The more you suffer here in righteousness,(increasing in spirituality), the greater your reward in the Celestial Kingdom is another goofy mind set I have heard from some Mormons. And if you never marry or have children, you'll get someone given to you to complete your after life.
Whew.. I'm so glad I don't buy into any of that.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 04:17PM

Or that any thorny question or problem you might be dealing with now will "all get worked out in the eternities" like your gay ex husband will get turned straight in the hereafter. "Therefore, no you can't get a temple divorce."

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 04:28PM

Imagine what it would be like to be resurrected, perfected, and looking good for the first time in your life. I think it would be hard not to carry out all kinds of unconventionak sexual acts in eternity, just to make up for lost time.

Posted by: anonhellyes ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 09:26AM

The behaviors described are (a) a cop out for those who can't find happiness within the confines of the Morg, and (b) an unlimited coping mechanism for those watching other people experiencing (a).

Everything else is explaining away a huge issue for many...

Posted by: blakballoon ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 09:34AM

Yes, it's all just a coping mechanism for those pesky questions that can't be answered and those events that just don't seem fair. It's child like thinking.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 09:49AM

Didn't Holland go off in Tempe about how we shouldn't complain about suffering in our life because Jesus suffered more than anyone ever in history?

But isn't that the point? Jesus suffered so we wouldn't have to; however, TBM's are taught that "trials are God's way of testing us", so it really means that Jesus gave his all for nothing. Mormons, of course, aren't the only ones who have cornered the "suffering for God" market, but they are supposed to be different.

These people are just feeling superior to the poor lady with a tragic life and rationalizing IMO...

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 10:01AM

I think what bothers me about it is the mindset that your individual happiness is dependent on external factors and that you're not responsible for your own happiness, that happiness is not something that can be chosen despite your circumstances.

Nobody can thrive with that kind of mentality.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 10:29AM

I hear that besides happiness in the next life, there is also going to be punctuation. :) Kidding.

In the next life everything will be revealed and explained and everyone will be happy. So don't worry your pretty little heads that nothing makes sense now and that you are miserable.

And why will the afterlife be better? Because there will be none of the things in the afterlife that ruin this life on earth. Like, for instance, truth, reason, unconditional love and horse sense. Mormon Heavenly Father is going to be done with that nonsense once and for all.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 11:18AM

I think some people have a stunning lack of empathy for the suffering of others, and WAY too much concern for their own 'suffering'- as in the somewhat smashed cake.

It all comes down to their own comfort. They they don't want to be bothered with that other person's unending suffering, so they make up a story about how everything will be fine . . . in the next life. (I can't help but think this sounds like a sarcastic joke, now, but they seriously think that makes it better). This also doesn't require them to DO anything to improve the situation. And sometimes the person suffering doesn't take action to make it better, either. They don't go to the doctor to see if they can do anything to treat the depression, they don't leave the abusive spouse, they don't learn to say no unreasonable demands on their time. Maybe they don't seek needed assistance.

God will make it better. Suffering lady will get brownie points in heaven for enduring, right?

But they will get their panties in a wad when some small thing goes wrong in their own life. When something goes wrong for them, it's personal. I mean, really, why SHOULDN'T they be upset? That special occasion with the cake will only happen ONCE, and it was RUINED!!!! Life just isn't FAIR!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2016 11:21AM by imaworkinonit.

Posted by: MushyPostCultBrain ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 01:51PM

Thank you for putting words to what crap this is! I was always the "unfortunate Mormon who at least will be relieved from this after this life." It's telling someone there is no hope for happiness unless god decides to take away the hell. Otherwise, it's your thorn to bear in this life. Then wondering why this father who supposedly loves you never takes it away, despite blessings saying he would. "At least I'll be happy when I die" is a devastating way to live and to see your future. And the friendly shoulder that lasts for a short time until people realize that you are always sad so you go and pretend to be happy because ya gotta be at everything if you really believe.

Posted by: Titanic Survivor ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 05:54PM

It's a grind to read a string of unpunctuated words.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 05:59PM

Fuck her and her afterlife. Now is the time.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 06:11PM

I have heard that same kind of BS. If someone is horribly crippled it's just fine because it will all be made right.
Once,even a child's parents, brothers and sisters were burnt up in a house fire whileshe was away. Some morons even informed her that it was Ok.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 06:36PM

It helps mormons put aside their feelings of compassion which might interfere with their church work.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.