Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: shiz ( )
Date: April 29, 2016 11:42PM

I only found out that my childhood friend, Blair Watson, a regulare contributer to RfM for many years, and author of an eBook called Latter-day Saint Swindle: The Mormon Church’s $200-Billion Scam passed away 18 months ago.

This is something I found out today unexpectedly after visiting this site after an absense of several years. (a tribute to this wonderful website's benefit, I have lived Mo-Free for nearly 20 years)

Blair was one of the people I regularly spoke to in the years 2004 to 2013 after he had relocated to Western Canada and we shared a similar journey in life mostly by phone. (Earlier, He even participated at my wedding back in the 1980s.) I will sadly miss him and I am in shock about this news today.

If any one replies to this, or knew Blair, please let me know. (I did read over the tributes to him from back in Oct 2014)

Note: I myself recall speaking to Blair by phone about Aug-Sep 2014. I had been involved in a severe accident and was housebound while recovering. We spoke a few times, never for long, but often about growing up in the Toronto area as teens and our shared journey out. When I recovered, several months later, after a subsequent stroke, I found it hard to reconnect up with people and I dimly recall emailing him without an answer. Time passed and I failed to pursue this and I feel a great sense of loss,

I did post a belated tribute to his legacy page at the funeral home that conducted his service. I, like others, will miss him!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: link ( )
Date: April 30, 2016 12:51AM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 30, 2016 01:55AM

I'm so sorry that you lost your friend. I never knew him personally, but I was saddened to hear of his death.

For newer board members, Blair was well known and highly esteemed in the exmo community for his work on the negative psychological effects of Mormon programming:

http://members.shaw.ca/blair_watson/

This page in particular will have much that is familiar:

http://members.shaw.ca/blair_watson/symptoms.htm

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 30, 2016 10:23AM

Sorry for your loss. It's always a process to grieve the loss of a dear friend or loved one. Just because you found out now instead of previously does not lessen the significance of that for you.

Best wishes on your journey, as you deal with the loss of your friend.

His e-book is how I've come to be acquainted with him a little bit. And knowing his words are an encouragement to many others on their journeys out of Mormonism leaves a legacy hard to match.

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: April 30, 2016 02:56PM

I grew up with Blair, and we found out about each other here on rfm, and we emailed a bit a few years ago.

I'll give you a hint, my brother is married to Blair's sister.

Date: April 30, 2016 11:51PM

I am pretty connected to a number of ex-mos in the Toronto area. Long ago, I used to know one of Blair's sister, CL, as a teen attending the dances. I uned to produce a television show for the church for Canada and afterwards, Blair and I shared some insight into the mechanism of manipulation. Blair was helpful with two people I still keep in contact with around 2005 for their exits out. I called them today and found out, indeed, that I had missed his passing. I guess they thought I just somehow knew.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: April 30, 2016 03:59PM

My sincere condolences to you. I just downloaded the free pdf version of his book....thanks for the link.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 12:04AM

I'm from Toronto. The name is familiar, but I don't recognize the face. Maybe someone I was aware of, but didn't know personally.

Date: May 01, 2016 12:09AM

I loved in Toronto up to 1995 - mostly Third Ward growing up

Date: May 01, 2016 12:22AM

Really? We must have known each other, or at least seen each other in the halls.

Date: May 01, 2016 12:27AM

My family is still active in Toronto. I respect them and have not gone out of my way to 'rock the boat', but I have actively maintain friendships with some of my friends from my youth who have left and occasionally meet up. I live a good distance now from Toronto so dont get their too much now, other than to visit family.

Date: May 01, 2016 12:50AM

I was the only member in my family, so I didn't have to face any problems with them when I left. They were supportive when I joined and supportive when I left. They just wanted me to be happy.

My friends though, were another story.

Date: May 01, 2016 11:14AM

Hey Greyfort. If you would like to communicate outside of RfM, then you can use my email address: knighttakesqueen@hotmail.com

Date: May 01, 2016 01:54AM

I'm just a few minutes from southern Ontario. Are there meetups there for ex-Mos? There aren't where I live, to my knowledge.

Date: May 01, 2016 11:17AM

Amyjo: there are, or were get togethers, but I have been out for so long that it is not somethng I look to attend regularly. However, I know of one being planned for Toronto in June, so if you wanted to communnicate I can link yo up once I get more details. Although it will be an event for ex-mos in Toronto, it is being done as a tour to a museum, as something to do more than just sit around and unload.... Again, let me know and I can forward details.

Date: May 01, 2016 05:50PM

Thanks, it is good to hear there is something nearby. Toronto is still a good 1 1/2 hours drive or more from where I live. Because of the very heavy traffic in and around the metro city I haven't driven there very often, to tell the truth.

I'm much closer to Hamilton and St Catherine's. Just over the border from Fort Pierce and Niagara Falls, Ontario. Niagara-on-the-Lake was probably my favorite drive there when my children were still home. We'd go there fairly frequently to visit. It's a throwback to small town life of yesteryear.

Thanks for getting back to me. There may be a meetup closer to where I am, but haven't seen or heard any news flashes of one. :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.