Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: April 22, 2016 04:57AM

This was from the Guardian article on Madi Barney —

Quote - <<A fellow rape survivor, Brooke Swallow, said, “Dissension is a Mormon value. We need dissension and dissidents in this culture so we can effect change.”>>

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/apr/20/brigham-young-sexual-assault-victims-protests-honor-code

I don't know who this person is, but in my experience, dissension is seen as something evil within the cult. I really do not understand what she said.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: April 22, 2016 05:09AM

Many people describe the organization they wish they belonged to, not the organization they actually belong to.

Part of the cog diss and compartmentalization required to be in a cult and not realize it yourself.

Posted by: Mike T. ( )
Date: April 22, 2016 06:36AM

Brooke is a friend. She is an ex-Mormon activist in Utah valley, and budding politician. I would value pretty much anything she says. I am fond of saying things that other people misinterpret. It is my life, my calling. It is why I no longer post under my previous moniker. We all misspeak or get misunderstood now and again, and this is possibly one of those times. She may well have been misquoted, I just don't know. But Brooke is nobody's fool, least of all the Mormons' fool. She won't waste a second taking on the Mormon church, but has to move carefully through the Utah Valley landscape when doing so.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 22, 2016 12:16PM

She was misquoted. She actually said distention is a Mormon value.

:)

Posted by: AfraidOfMormons ( )
Date: April 22, 2016 01:19PM

Does "dissension" mean marrying 14-year-old girls and other men's wives? Then, yes.

Our early Mormon ancestors, led by JS, were the ones to establish the "Mormon values."

They were all apostates. (Yet today's Mormons condemn apostates.)

They left the Christian religions of their forefathers to join a polygamist cult.

Now, that's real dissension!!!

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: April 22, 2016 01:30PM

As long as Mormons are united in dissent against reality--then sure.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: April 22, 2016 03:31PM

Dissension is okay when used to leave OTHER religions and join Mormonism...

Don't listen to your parents if they tell you not to join Mormonism. Dissension.

Don't listen to your spouse if they tell you not to join Mormonism. Dissension.

Don't listen to your pastor or priest if they tell you not to join Mormonism. Dissension.

Once your are inside the Mormon cult THEN there is no dissension, and if you want to join another faith then you are either sinning, offended or under the influence of the Devil.

Is Mormonism not the most insane religion? If not it must be on par with Scientology.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 22, 2016 04:48PM

No it's not. They punish it.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: April 22, 2016 05:15PM

Not really, although there have been plenty of dissenters throughout the history of Mormonism. They call those folks "apostates." To be a "good Mormon," you must obey "the First Law of Heaven," which is Obedience. Therefore, conformity is the number one Mormon value.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: April 22, 2016 10:50PM

Don't know right from wrong. Truth from fallacy. Beauty from ugly.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 23, 2016 03:39PM

Sure, mormons value dissension.
It's what keeps the courts of love going.
Without dissension, the esteemed members of those courts would have nothing to exercise their priesthood on.
So they value dissension.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: April 23, 2016 06:08PM

donbagley....true. I'm sure she meant some other word, entirely. In the context of what she was saying, though, I can't figure out what it may have been. Unless she meant dissension between Mormons and non-Mormons? Or, maybe, as Mike T said, maybe she was misquoted?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2016 06:10PM by cinda.

Posted by: Exbomgirl ( )
Date: January 12, 2018 05:41PM

Hello, this is Brooke. The quote was said after I quoted Hugh B. Brown.
"I hope that you will develop the questing spirit. Be unafraid of new ideas for they are the stepping stones of progress. You will of course respect the opinions of others but be unafraid to dissent - if you are informed." I am not a rape survivor or a member or the LDS Church (resigned in 2013).

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 12, 2018 07:13PM

Mormons are contrarians. They're contrary together. They conform to Mormon contrarianism. Mormons are conformist contrarians. What a tangled mess!

Posted by: goldrose ( )
Date: January 12, 2018 07:46PM

Madi Barney - the victim from the article, now goes to the U. Good for her.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.