Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: April 20, 2016 02:11PM

Yes -they were trying to take over. This morning though, the Huntsman family just bought the Trib.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/3799365-155/huntsman-family-buying-the-salt-lake

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: April 20, 2016 02:34PM

StillAnon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This morning though, the Huntsman family just bought the Trib.

The cited article claims the paper will remain an independent voice. Given the Huntsman family's close ties with the church, only time will tell.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: April 21, 2016 10:03PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 20, 2016 07:48PM

IMO the Tribune will be safe under the Huntsmans.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 20, 2016 03:32PM

It will be interesting to see if Kirby's rants and Pat Bagley's cartoon survive the transition. I surely hope they do.

RB

Date: April 20, 2016 03:34PM

SL Cabbie would know. They'd be nuts to get rid of either of them. They were part of a group trying to buy the Trib. Not sure if Huntsman was involved.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: April 21, 2016 09:03PM

I'm reserving final judgment; the Huntsman's are generally "good people," but patriarch Jon got his start euchring a relative out of what became the Huntsman Chemical Corporation way back when, and there are stories about the family's dysfunction.

Not that my own family doesn't have them, but I have no trouble raising my voice loudly and trying to bring a voice of reason to the "old insanity"--which has its roots in LDS dysfunction, of course.

There's no way that Pat or Robert Kirby--whom I've known the longest--will be tossed aside; as Will noted, "If they lose Kirby and my brother, there goes the franchise." BTW, I dropped Will a note an hour ago...

A lot of good people were shown the door, however, and I've got most of the information down about the "Singleton Era," and that slimeball, appropriately nicknamed "Dink," won't like what I have to say about his duplicity and secret sale of the Trib to a New York holding company.

As I see it, the key to the Tribune's survival will be freeing itself from the JOA which the Deseret News has used to leverage to its own advantage. Peter Huntsman is doubtless shrewd enough to see that reality; the question is how much he will kowtow to the pressure from the geriatric gnomes at #47 E. South Temple.

Anyway, if there are some out in the Exmormon crowd in Utah "in need of a mission call from Outer Darkness," I think Peter Huntsman might be a "golden prospect."

Date: April 20, 2016 05:37PM

The cult buying the Trib would be like the USSR when they controlled all media through Pravda under penalty of death or banishment to the gulag (where would that be in Utah?).

RB

Date: April 20, 2016 05:48PM

The gulag in Utah?
The Missionary Training Center?

Date: April 20, 2016 06:34PM

I was thinking more along the lines of a walled tent prison in Moab!

RB

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 20, 2016 07:48PM

Do you know, when I was studying the Chernobyl nuclear disaster I looked up the original copies of Pravda. The disaster (which was reported relatively quickly in the western press, about 24-48 hours later IIRC,) was not reported in Pravda until about nine days later, and even then it was completely buried in the middle of the newspaper, in a small article below the fold.

This is what happens when the press is not fully independent.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: April 20, 2016 06:51PM

Time for an alternative publication even if only on the Web?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2016 06:51PM by matt.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: April 21, 2016 12:20AM

The mormon church should be given a choice: "you can either own a newspaper or you can have a tax-exempt religion. But you can't have both. You get to decide. So which is it?".

Posted by: theocracy ( )
Date: April 21, 2016 06:24PM

they own a newspaper, a TV station, a radio station, and a legislature

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: April 21, 2016 09:49PM

They really should get rid of that last one.

Those are very expensive to maintain.

Posted by: maizyday2 ( )
Date: April 21, 2016 06:15PM

Radio West on KUER interviewed some people about the sale today, including those who were pressing the anti-trust lawsuit against the Deseret News because of the clause in the JOA that states the Trib can't be sold without DNews approving the buyer.

There was some feeling that one of the reasons the sale to the Huntsmans is going through is that the DNews did not want to go to court and have itself exposed and there was a good chance they were going to lose/look bad/experience bad PR.

I wish I knew more about the back story of how that JOA EVER was allowed to be put into place. Among other things, it cut the SL Trib's ad profits by 50%!!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 21, 2016 07:18PM

was the SLT profitable?

is it 'still' in print or web only?

Posted by: Adult of god nli ( )
Date: April 21, 2016 08:38PM

Yes, still in print. We get delivered every morning.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: April 21, 2016 10:47PM

The other four days online only.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 21, 2016 11:01PM

Their once (PSEUDO-)prestigious rag, The Christian Science Monitor, went from broadsheet to tabloid two generations ago, then went to on-line only early in the Millennium. It was derided as "the newspaper that everybody respects, but nobody reads." Now, hardly anybody knows it even exists!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.