Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 20, 2016 04:09PM

Sometimes I read about bishops who demand TRs from exmos.

Why? Because they want to humiliate the apostate for withdrawing support from the cult and no longer honoring the bish and other church "leadership."

These bishops have absolutely no use for these slips of paper. I'd tell a bishop, "No, why do you want it? Is there some regulation that I must have that thing saved in my safe or keep it in my wallet? It's only use is to go to a temple which I'm not doing because temples remind me of Satan. So I won't be turning it over to you."

If Mormons are worried unworthy former members will try to enter temples with revoked recommends, it's up to them to improve their system or pray harder for more accurate impressions from the HG.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jem ( )
Date: February 20, 2016 04:57PM

the landfill and get it yourself.

Posted by: hurting ( )
Date: February 20, 2016 05:00PM

I like your way of thinking--standing up to "authority"

On the other hand, I've been considering asking for a meeting

with bishop to just give it to him and explain that I don't

believe anymore, before he considers asking for it.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 20, 2016 05:06PM

Things that would be fun to say, with a straight face, when the bishop asks you to hand over, chop chop, your TR:

"Sorry, I used it to light three big fat marijuana cigars for me and my two wives!
"Oh, man! I gave it to this guy who runs an 'up-skirt' web site."

"Seriously, I sold it to a producer at 60 Minutes."

"Last I heard, my gay exmo nephew was using it to meet closeted MTC elders at the Provo temple."

"Sure, if you'll give me back my last four years' tithing." (four years is how far back you can sue in CA for money owed)

Your turn!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 20, 2016 05:25PM

I never did get a liar's lodge member card. No surly temple for me.

Posted by: Another not logged in ( )
Date: February 20, 2016 05:40PM

It might be fun to write

VOID on it.

Or EXPIRATION Date 2016

I haven't had one since I was 12 years old. And I'm assuming I had a piece of paper.....don't really remember.
But I did go to the temple.

It wasn't the great lasting forever experience that I hear about.
It was routine....dunking. The spiritualness didn't rub off on me.

KJ

Date: February 20, 2016 05:42PM

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: February 20, 2016 07:20PM

AMEN! The appropriate response would be "Why would I want it anyway?", take it out of the wallet and tear it up into tiny little pieces right there. Or burn it.

Better yet, tell him he can have it when he gives you a refund for any tithes paid that year, because they were received under false pretenses.

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: February 20, 2016 07:39PM

He doesn't need it. Now that they are barcoded, you can't use them to get into a temple unworthily. When the horribly old man at the desk scans it, the computer will pop up a warning...oh wait..did I say 'computer'? I meant to say Holy Ghost.

If my bishop had demanded mine, I would have given him half of it.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: February 20, 2016 07:57PM

I paid for it, it's mine.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 20, 2016 08:08PM

Me either!

Then they have the nerve to let you know you that you are not "allowed" to wear their stupid underwear.

The nerve!

It's comically funny that they think they get to go bossing everyone around, but comically tragic that some people allow it.

Date: February 20, 2016 08:37PM

I think if anyone demands someone's personal property, the answer should be a flabbergasted "N-O-O!"

There's no way a church rep can force anyone to do such a thing.

Posted by: Dead Cat ( )
Date: February 20, 2016 08:51PM

A little known duty of the deacons is to rummage through your underwear drawer when you are not home and aquire all your garments.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 20, 2016 09:08PM

Hey, that raises an issue! Why don't they demand the Sacred Underwear? You'd think they'd offer to buy it back just to get it out of the hands of sinners!

Posted by: sunnynomo ( )
Date: February 20, 2016 10:45PM

Maybe strip down naked right there and hand the garmies over with the recommend??

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: February 20, 2016 08:53PM

So be it. However, you should be aware that the penalty for not giving your TR back when asked for, could result in your being excommunicated. Indeed, this is likely the most frequent reason why a TR is even asked to be returned.

Remember the key word in Mormonism, "obey, obey, obey", and when one doesn't, excommunication can result (which is a severe penalty designed to do as much harm to the victim and his or her family as possible, and often does)!

Best Wishes.

Date: February 20, 2016 09:07PM

The church officials can nullify a TR. They can't take it from someone if it's lost, stolen, damaged, or misplaced.

As if a bishop has never lost anything. They're as human as anyone.

Losing a TR is not a sin. It's a slight lapse of memory.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: February 20, 2016 08:56PM

No need to turn it over. Just tell the Bishop to cancel it. All temple recommends are now bar coded. They cancel it you can't get inside.

PS... This also means TSCC know who goes to the temple and how often they attend, and where they attend.

I'm sure the statistics are not a pleasant sight to church leadership.

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: February 20, 2016 09:38PM

There is fine print on every TR that essentially says that it is the church's property and can be rescinded by the church at any time. The lawyers really thought this through.

Date: February 20, 2016 10:06PM

Posted by: Bicentennial Ex ( )
Date: February 20, 2016 11:51PM

I didn't see your response when I posted mine, below...sorry!

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: February 20, 2016 10:12PM

Or you could mess with him. Tell him it is for sale on the internet.

Tell him he can find the listing for it at this address http://hmpg.net/

Posted by: hausfrau ( )
Date: February 20, 2016 10:17PM

My cousin is in this situation right now, given her divorce and some things regarding that. I asked her why she gave her TR to the bishop "until he saw fit to give it back" when it was apparent she didn't do anything unworthy.

She replied she did think about refusing, but given her reputation for being out spoken, she wanted to show she is obedient to get the TR back faster.

It was good to hear that she thought about not giving it. She has given me the impression before that she thinks the temple is (mostly) creepy. But being in tscc has too much influence over her and her immediate family.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 20, 2016 10:49PM

12 years ago I gave it to him. He looked so red and mad he was about to explode. The only thing he could "do" to me was get their club card. I freely gave it to him. I didn't feel disgraced but vindicated. Here was another Mormon acting the part of the loser for Jesus he was. He was losing a member and his behavior was what looked like an attempt to offend me.

He questioned my beliefs. He couldn't answer my questions. He implied I was faithless. I told him that his church had no discernment, discretion but plenty of dishonesty.

I asked him for a shred of something to believe in that wasn't made up by Joseph Smith and wasn't self contradictory. I told him Mormonism makes no sense. It has scriptures it doesn't follow, beliefs it doesn't believe and a follow the leader down the primrose path process of salvation.

He didn't like it. I gave him his card and told him I would have just thrown it away anyway. I told him I hated the temple and there was no way in Heck I was ever going there again in my life.

Date: February 21, 2016 03:48AM

I'm only bothered if someone who is leaving feels obligated to kiss up to Mormon authority. I like to see them stand tall and walk out proudly.

Posted by: Bicentennial Ex ( )
Date: February 20, 2016 11:24PM

Not a lawyer here but unless there's some fine print on the backside that states the TR remains property of Fuzzpizzle, Inc., and must be surrendered upon request, the requestor can pound sand and be shown the door.

BcE

Posted by: nitrameequc ( )
Date: February 21, 2016 12:11AM

If they asked me to take off my garments before I left the church building, I'd say " You can have them when you pry them of my hard cold , dead body. I paid for them . NOT you ".........
Wether I was X'd or not !!

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: February 21, 2016 02:45AM

"Sorry, I don't have it any more. It went through the crosscut shredder as soon as I got home from Son's temple wedding."

Date: February 21, 2016 10:11AM

Has no TBM ever misplaced car keys, a memo, or a temple recommend?

It happens all the time with TBMs more than nonmos I'd bet because Mormon households are often crowded and frantic.

Everyone manages. The law and lawyers would look like fools if they stepped in and tried to prosecute someone because they couldn't find their church recommend. What a ridiculous idea!

All the fine print in the world doesn't force anyone to turn in this silly little notice. If it's gone, it's gone.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 21, 2016 12:05PM

It is from I think April 1990 (I'm too lazy to go get my purse). I keep it in my purse. I found it in my old temple bag about 9 years ago and thought that was interesting. I keep it in my wallet behind my driver's license more as a joke than anything.

So I was picking up an on-line order at wal-mart one day and I was trying to pull out my driver's license and the guy could see that underneath I had that TR. He said he'd trust me since I had a TR. I've seen my daughter's TR from recently and this is NOTHING like the new ones, so I know this guy has been out of the church at least as long as I have, and he looked like a member of ZZ Top anyway. I never expected him to say something about my TR.

Anyway, I get a kick out of having that damn thing. I used it once and I got to do sealings (I've told the story often on here) rather than see the new movie. Never went back.

Posted by: ned1 ( )
Date: February 21, 2016 01:04PM

I would give it back as if it were a ball and chain. Any leader that wanted it back from you to make a point should realize that your giving it up means less to you than to them.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: February 21, 2016 02:14PM

They are paranoid about someone using a temple recommend that is not "worthy" ! If I recall, correctly, the TR has some statement on it that it is the property of the LDS Church.
The whole idea of worthiness is ridiculous in the first place.

Posted by: Holy the Ghost ( )
Date: February 21, 2016 03:56PM

I have already memorized the secret handshakes I need to get into heaven!
So the Jokes on you!
I might even sell them for money!

See ya sucker!!!"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.