Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: hello nli ( )
Date: February 13, 2016 04:21AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtRsyPyBomY

"Dead Man Walking" (Earthling) Tin Machine

original vid

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Bacon Sandwich ( )
Date: February 13, 2016 01:44PM

This acoustic version is terrific also.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVoeDNp9zBI

I was at BYU from 1980-85 and during that time I was super into Bowie. I was out of the church; never attended a student ward a single time. I think it was a window of time when it was possible to slip through the cracks at BYU. I also used to maintain an unshaven, scruffy face, somewhat longish hair, and I smoked weed virtually every day the whole time I was there. Bowie was a big part of my world at the time. His music helped me escape the Morg milieu. Loved that guy.

Posted by: hello nli ( )
Date: February 13, 2016 07:34PM

yeah I luv this acoustic too, but I'm crazy for Tin Machine's screaming metal sonics all over "Earthling". Gabrel does it for me too.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 13, 2016 02:23PM

One of my favorite Bowie songs is Changes. I was in college during some of the same years only 1982-86. I went to state university rather than church college, even though I was still 'active' at the time.

I knew church college would be too stifling for me, so it wasn't something I would even entertain. That's amazing you were able to get through that many years without being ratted out.

One brother of mine tried BYU-Ricks back in the day, but dropped out because he hated the over conformity and didn't fit in. Our oldest brother went through BYU Provo with flying colors, but he was the quintessential Mormon prototype. I don't believe I ever was, even when I still believed in the church teachings.

One good thing about Bowie is: his music is here to stay.

https://youtu.be/zbnJo88kuP8

Posted by: Brother Bacon Sandwich ( )
Date: February 13, 2016 04:18PM

Not sure why, but the ratting out thing wasn't really happening during that time. Oddly, Holland was the president. I never lived on campus, and I didn't mix much with other students.

One thing that helped was that I got married after my first year there. Amazingly, I found a girl there who fit with me. We're still together. She was never into weed, however; just alcohol.

We did find a few friends who were like us, and are still in touch with some of them. I was mainly there because my grandparents lived in Provo and my grandfather had taken ill. I went there in large part to provide what help I could for my grandmother. She knew that I/we weren't active, but she never made an issue of it; sweet sweet lady. She loved loved loved my wife.

I don't recall exactly, but when I first went up there my ward of record was probably my grandparents' ward. I didn't live with them for long, but somehow I dodged the system. I liked my degree program and even though I looked into transferring I stuck it out. I'm still annoyed that my degree is from there since it makes for mistaken assumptions about me, but anymore if the topic comes up I pretty much say straight away that I'm exmormon.

Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: February 13, 2016 09:18PM

Damnnnnn.....in the acoustic version he looks particularly HOT!!!! Whew!!!

Much better than listening to the debate bullshit..

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.