Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: shodanrob ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 11:53PM

Don't know how many here even follow my experience going through this. While not gay, I feel like I know what it is like having to be a closet non mormon in certain situations. Work being one, although people are probably getting suspicious. All the TBMs in my office will not quit talking about that new castle in Provo and how everyone needs to get down there and see it. They're coming in their Sunday clothes bragging about how they just left or they are going after work. Tithing money well spent..blah blah blah. Of course I get asked when I am going. Here is where it gets interesting.

Might blow my "cover" here. My wife likes a certain clothing brand that she loves me to wear (I like the clothes too). They're pricey shirts and jeans. The shirts usually have skulls, iron crosses and spades on them. I asked if they thought if it would be ok if I just wore my current outfit down and went through. Boy oh boy, the reaction was intense.

They said things like No way, that is disrespectful. I would tell you to go home and get proper clothes on. How could you think of that. I was actually kidding and I wasn't lying when I told them I was.

I then asked them all, what if I was an investigator interested in the church and didn't know the "rules". Would you still tell me to turn around and change clothes. What if I didn't have any other clothes? Would you help me get some or berate me like you just did. Would Jesus turn away someone who wants to find peace and something to believe. Would Jesus be at the door inviting me in or turning me away. I don't recall Jesus wearing Sunday best. He dressed like a shepherd or a fisherman.

Dead silence and back to work everyone went. Now I don't have to listen how great the brown castle in Provo is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2016 11:54PM by shodanrob.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 13, 2016 12:04AM

I think many religious people get annoyed when attention is called to the fact that they are able to distinguish between trying to impress other religious people and trying to impress their ghawd. It's so much more 'fun' trying to impress other religious people, n'cest pas?

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: February 13, 2016 01:29AM

^^^

this

Posted by: nitrameequc ( )
Date: February 13, 2016 01:36AM

I TOTALLY agree.

In fact, just last week , my DH & I were talking about all of the wealth in the church.
I could go on and on about the opulence & the wealth in the church is crazy .
Yet..........Jesus WAS a fisherman. He was poor. WOULD they let Him into the temple open house dressed in a woolen robe with old sandals & a long stick cane. ??? Or turn Him , even Jesus Christ , away , as they did you........(and who knows how many other people who weren't dressed up to 'their' expectations ???)

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: February 13, 2016 03:36AM

How about saying, "No religion or politics in the workplace."

In Primary, I mentioned Jesus as much as possible (I'm a Christian), and I would use other pictures of Jesus, other than the Mormon blonde "Malibu Jesus". Then, I would wait for it--some kid would always raise their hand and ask, "Why does Jesus have a beard? Why is he wearing sandals? Why is he wearing a dress?"

I would say, "You wouldn't be allowed to come to church wearing these clothes, would you." Then just continue with the lesson.

Mormons brag about all their buildings, and use that as proof that their cult is moving forward throughout the World; yet the Bible never mentions Christ having any kind of church building. Temples and money-changing made Him angry.

Consider at all the sinners and poor people Jesus would hang out with. He and his friends would not have been welcome at the ward Christmas party, either.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: February 13, 2016 04:58AM

I would ask them if they had read the BoM, specifically 'Lehi's dream', lately

or ask them if they remember what was the sin of Sodom, according to Ezekiel

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 13, 2016 07:15PM

I had an Australian friend at an Evangelical church back in the 1980s. He wore his bush shorts and shirt to every service. He said he wanted to make sure that the non-shirt-and-tie element, Australians especially, felt comfortable.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: February 14, 2016 09:42AM

"Would Jesus be at the door inviting me in or turning me away. I don't recall Jesus wearing Sunday best. He dressed like a shepherd or a fisherman."

Knowing mormons as I do now, this is one of the first things that came to mind when I moved to Utah. The church named after Jesus would not allow him in their temple. And to add:

Temple requirement for men is marriage and kids. Jesus didn't have that life style. He was celibate and sometimes hung out with the dregs of society. The mormon "appearance of evil" would also keep Jesus from any meaningful callings at church.

Mormons seem to forget how Jesus went thru the Jewish temple money changing tables in his day and trashed them because of the money changers making people poor....the "temple" money changers...."temple" money changers....

T.E.M.P.L.E.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In short Jesus did not like temples or over-compensating places, of high cost, and maintenance, to worship....

If Jesus were here today, I doubt he would want to go to a mormon temple...except maybe to trash the place, ala deja vu..

Posted by: Evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: February 14, 2016 10:35AM

Was Jesus celibate? The NT was written 100 years or two after Jesus was born. Just because the NT doesn't talk about Jesus sexual escapades doesn't mean he did not have any.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: February 14, 2016 01:50PM

Purely referring to the religious record. It makes no difference to me. My point is that the religious record accepted by Judeo Christian religions AND Mormonism has Jesus not living what is now considered a traditional male and definitely Mormon lifestyle

Posted by: evergreen ( )
Date: March 14, 2016 10:39PM

Could Jesus have been gay?

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: February 14, 2016 02:13PM

The Bible does not say that Jesus disliked the temple. The Bible tells of Jesus being angry that people were disrespecting it by conducting business inside -- exchanging foreign currency to what was locally used, and purchasing animals for blood sacrifices.

Although I must admit that I personally do not like the idea of the temple. I think blood sacrifices are icky and barbaric. What kind of god thirsts for the blood of animals, or for the blood of His own son?

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: March 14, 2016 10:42PM

I'd rather watch paint dry than visit ANY EVIL CULT temple.

Posted by: bona dea unregistered ( )
Date: March 14, 2016 10:47PM

I sometimes attend mass and many people dress in the manner the OP described. In fact men in white shirts aand women in dresses are often visiting Mormons

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.