Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bewildered ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 06:24PM

Our extended family is planning a trip to the Oregon coast ( I believe near Newport). One family says that end May/early June is the only week that works for them. This time of year seemed a little cool to us, and we had hoped to go later like End of June or mid July...But we have never been, so my question is how is the weather/climate end May time?? Is it a good time to go? Also, this time would include Memorial day...are things really busy and/or more expensive during that holiday? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elijah Unabel ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 06:33PM

I'm not sure how you're planning to get there, but would highly recommend you not go through California - or at least don't stop at a beach in Northern California. We went to Oregon last year, but made the mistake of stopping at a Northern California beach where someone broke into our vehicle and stole our stuff. Although they got few pricey items such as a computer, the worst thing was they stole some of our kids' possessions with very little monetary value (I don't think stuffed animals go for much on the black market) but plenty of sentimental value.

I assumed it was just a random break-in, but we were later informed that there are "gangs of gypsies" (as it was put to us) who roam up and down the Northern California coast looking for out-of-state vehicles to break in to. We were informed break-ins were much less common in Oregon.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 06:51PM

Leave us in peace with our "Gypsies"

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 07:04PM

I was born in Oregon, and I heard many tales of evil Californians. Here's a reverse tale from south of the border: if you park your car with California plates in Oregon, California haters will vandalize it.

When I lived in NYC, locals traded horror stories about Jersey. It's just xenophobic chatter, I think.

One word on coastal Oregon: rain.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 06:34PM

You'll have less traffic in May/June, but not by much. And it's more than likely it will be cold. But it's usually cold, no matter what.

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 06:42PM

It will be quite busy over Memorial day weekend. As far as weaher goes, it won't make much difference. Summer on the Oregon coast tends to be cool with fog and low clouds common. There are some warm, sunny days, but they are not predictable very far in advance. It won't be much different in June that it would be in July or August.

If you are going to be there over Memorial Day weekend, make reservations early.

As far as car break-ins go - local LE there will advise you not to leave valuables in your car (as is the case most places). I would agree not to do that if you don't want your car broken in to.

Posted by: Elijah Unabel ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 06:55PM

Absolutely agree it's not wise to leave valuables in car. However, when traveling with a loaded vehicle and making a quick stop somewhere, it's not very practicable to lug everything with you.

Of course, in our specific case, we probably should have stayed within sight of the vehicle, so I certainly bear responsibility for our misfortune.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 07:15PM

Even where I live, which is a rather nice community, you don't want to leave your valuables in a car in plain sight. The police here (metaphorically) roll their eyes at people who leave iPhones or money on the front console for all to see. Duh? Of course their car will be broken into. If I know that I will be leaving my car, I put everything in the car trunk. Or I make darned sure that people can see if they break into my car, all they will be getting is an armful of school papers to grade.

The only place where I've felt even marginally comfortable leaving boxes and bags out in sight are the rest stops on the east coast I-95 corridor (the interstate that links the major cities of the east coast like a string of Christmas lights.) I suppose that is because my fellow travelers are all in the same boat. We are all trying to get to Philly or New York or Boston, and we only stop when we must.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 06:53PM

traffic can get quite heavy during holidays. There are not a lot of access roads out to the beach.

Posted by: bewildered ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 07:29PM

We are driving from Utah

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 08:37PM

And you will hit quite a bit of traffic. Be optimistic and pack your bathing suits but make sure to pack your sweaters, hoodies, warm pants too. Not only is the state unpredictable as a whole but there are many "micro climates". Just in ten miles the weather can be quite different. And no matter the time of year, you just count on rain. But rain is good! Keeps things green and CLEAN. Beautiful area, we love it. And lol, we do love the rain :)

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 06:59PM

The best time for weather at the Oregon coast is August and September. I'm guessing it's a bit warmer the further south you go. I usually go to Cannon beach or Seaside which are quite a bit further north.

If you're planning on renting a house, do that soon. They're often filled a year in advance.

Posted by: claire ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 08:40PM

I go to the coast frequently. It can be cold at any time. Depends on the wind.

I've been in August and had to wear two layers of clothes and hoods to be protected from the cold wind.
I've been in May or June and got a sunburn. And vise versa and every which way in between.

It's hit or miss any time. But always worth it.

P.s. I think Oregon beaches are better. In Washington you can drive your car on the beach and to me that is horrible.

P.p.s.
If you go on a holiday and don't have a hotel, expect very limited parking and gross and disgusting public bathrooms.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2016 08:45PM by claire.

Posted by: oregonboy ( )
Date: February 13, 2016 01:57PM

We have a saying...our summers start on 4th of July - and remember - liquid sunshine is always rain :) - I live in Beaverton and I have NEVER seen so many out of state license plates in my life...Native Oregonian here..Oregon pronounced ORYGUN

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 13, 2016 02:52PM

When I first started listening and the announcers referenced the "OR-gun Symphony," I thought they were discussing Saint-Saens' 3rd Symphony! Then I realized they were talking about the local orchestra.

I had no idea'r. Ign'ernt little me!

Posted by: PeacePrincess ( )
Date: February 13, 2016 05:07PM

I have just gotten through my first full winter in the area between Portland and Seattle this year, and Winter temperatures are actually very mild here, only for a few nights did it ever dip down below freezing point, and only a tiny little bit below at most for that matter! And just last weekend we enjoyed some lovely warm spring sunshine, I even pulled one of my summer dresses out from the back of my closet. Much better winter weather than Utard has!

Oh BTW, if you are driving to the Oregon Coast, I would strongly advise you avoid Highway US 26 through the Burns area in Eastern Oregon! Though I have driven that way a few times myself in the past specifically to stay the night at a small RV park with some nice hot springs, but right now, the whole area has been seized by a gang of Mormon terrorists since around New Years Day, and though a bunch of arrests had been made and the seizure had dwindled down recently, there's no telling what the situation will be like come Memorial Day Weekend.

Damn evil cult!

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: February 13, 2016 05:16PM

Weather in Newport is around 40F in the winter and around 50-60F most of fur summer. Very little difference between night and day. You have around a very high chance it will be raining on that day.

The tidepools are awesome and there is a lot of great seafood. If you have time, rent some crab pots and go for some red crabs. They are delicious.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.