Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 05:19PM

Many members assume the dead dunking is only an invitation to join and not a proclamation of fact. Actually, the confirmation is done at the same time which declares that the person is now and forever a Mormon.

The wording for the dead is identical as for the living except that "who is dead" is added after the name. So when we were all baptized and confirmed we became full members just as the spirits supposedly become Mormons when the proxy acts in their name.

Folklore states that spirits have a choice in heaven to accept or decline the baptism. This is not stated in the ritual, however. The person is a Mormon and would have to resign or have a dissolution of the rite.

The real assumptions with Mormons is that spirits could refuse their proxy baptism, but that few if any would do such a thing since they have the benefit of increased understanding beyond the veil.

Instead, it would be more likely that the higher Mormon leadership would denounce some of the spirits as unworthy and take away their membership if they had committed grievous sins.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 05:29PM

Grievous sins like asking questions.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 05:54PM

I was shocked when he recently looked up what he could do about not having his dad dead dunked. First I said, "Oh, nobody in your family will do that." And then I remembered, he has mormon relatives. His great-grandfather was a danite and came to Utah and then went back to Pennsylvania. He has many distant relatives who keep track of him and they will most certainly have him dead dunked. THIS IS an insult to his father and to his family, who have rejected mormonism completely.

But mormons think no big deal.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 06:06PM

LDS Inc. clearly has no regard for the dead their own included.

My grandmother - Zola Brown (Jeffs) Hodson was sealed posthumously to her exhusband Rulon Jeffs. She divorced Jeffs in the 1940s. She never loved her second husband much and worried in life about finding someone to love for the eternities. My family members told me repeatedly about her concerns.

She dies in 2006 and in 2007 winds up sealed to Rulon Jeffs along with a bevy of dead women.

LDS Inc. could give two Shizzes about dead people. They don't even respect the living.

Date: February 12, 2016 07:16PM

I'm sorry about your boyfriend's father, C12. Of course the Mormons would almost certainly proxy dunk him with or without the Mormon connection. It's insulting and a desecration in my opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2016 07:16PM by Cheryl.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 07:43PM

For people who are grieving, this is something they shouldn't have to even think about, but he is barely 3 weeks since his father died and he already is thinking about it.

Date: February 12, 2016 09:36PM

How sad. You're right. That isn't something he should have to worry about.

So what if it's only a silly exercise?? It's rude, rude, rude! as Susan pointed out.

When loved ones leave us, we don't need rudeness. We need support and consideration.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 07:22PM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 07:50PM

LDS won't excomm members for Lots of 'grievous sins' if they remain tithe-payers and the sin(s) are relatively unknown / unpublished.

My former lied all over the place in her divorce, LDS, Inc. Knowingly backed her up on them..

Drink Coffee (and ppl know)? that's a problem

Hate, Lie (and lie about your lies)? No Problem.

"A wrong, once denied, is Twice Committed" (except in Morland)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2016 07:52PM by GNPE.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 07:54PM

That's true, only if those "sins" are known, or something as serious as to be considered a secular felony crime, then LDS, Inc will excommunicate someone.

Even if they excommunicate someone, it's not really permanent as they'll allow someone to be baptized again, either while they're still alive and have "repented" enough, or after they're dead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2016 07:54PM by adoylelb.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 08:16PM

True, Cheryl.

However, as Bill Maher clearly demonstrated...you can wave you hands about, conduct some silly ritual, and declare anybody to be anything you want to -- it doesn't actually mean anything. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK3zNnJMfBo

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2016 08:18PM by ificouldhietokolob.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 09:15PM

The idea of using the names of deceased people to do rituals means nothing in the real word. It's useless and pointless.
Nothing to be concerned about. Just ignore it.

Posted by: whinny ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 09:28PM

It is just so weird! Doing rituals for the dead, I mean. The rest of the world remembers the dead, honors the dead for what they did themselves when alive. Others respect and even worship the dead (e.g. ancestor veneration by Chinese). Who the heck says, "Well, the dead were wrong in their disbelief of what I believe." Only Mormons. SMH

Date: February 12, 2016 09:32PM

Posted by: Loyalexmo ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 09:39PM

My first time doing baptisms for the dead after I converted was when I really went "oh, SHIT."

Date: February 13, 2016 04:47AM

And it rude to call them a Mormon if they've said they are Catholic or Unitarian.

Does it make a real difference if someone is proclaimed to be a pig?

This is an insult. Many don't have the self esteem or interest to care about what they or their relatives are called. That's their business. Those who do care will continue to feel the sting no matter how others happen to feel or think.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.