Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 02:58PM

"Studying the Church … through the eyes of its defectors,” Elder Neal A. Maxwell once said, is “like interviewing Judas to understand Jesus ..."

This said in a Mormon meeting would cause many knowing glances and self important nods. "How clever," they would say as they murmer, "the truth is right in front of everyone. Why can't they see it like we do?"

This is a meme going around a lot right now. It is the same-old/same-old as "If you want to know something about a Mormon ask a Mormon," which the seasoned and wise usually counter with "IF you want to know something about a Nazi, ask a Nazi" and finally begs the question, "Do you want to see the whole picture complete with all points of view, facts and reference or not?"

And of course, the Mormon answer to that question is "No--because I 'KNOW.'"

The Maxwell line is so obviously ridiculous. Of course Judas had valuable insights and knowledge of his friend. First hand. And further, would you really discount what the Jews had to say about the Nazis? Doesn't the Native American opinion count when it comes to the slaughter of millions of their people by the white man? Does the black take on slavery matter, or should we just let a Slavemaster tell us about slavery?

But, what Neal's query made me think was, isn't the Judas story convenient and useful. Would anyone who actually had first hand knowledge that his buddy Jesus was actually the literal Son of God actually sell him out? Who is that stupid? Judas sees miracles and sees Jesus great love and then opts for the silver knowing this will damn him for eternity? Yeah, I'm buying this.

The whole Judas story is just another fear tactic common among those of the religious persuasion because without fear, "they got nuthin'" You gotta have a gimmick and that gimmick is fear. And the gimmick needs a face--Cane, Judas, King Herrod,or gays, intellectuals, and feminists, and even the Judas du Jour, Jeremy Runnels.

I looked up the original Maxwell quote and there is another line to finish it off, " . . . Defectors always tell us more about themselves than about that from which they have departed.” This is meant to fool indoctrinated people. Pee Wee Herman translates this line for us, "I know you are, but what am I?"

So who's the real traitor to fear? My vote goes to Maxwell himself and Monson and Oaks and you finish the list. We'll really never know if Judas should be on that list, but I know for sure Jeremy Runnels shouldn't be.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 05:31PM

If you want to know about Scientology, don't watch "Going Clear," or read stuff on the internet put up by former members.
Ask a Scientologist.

Yeah, right.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 07:58PM

yah, IF you want to know about Nazi-ism and the Holocaust then ask brother Goebbles or a member of the SS, not some Jew that managed to survive it !!!

Posted by: whinny ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 08:24PM

It's a type of genetic fallacy, right? Kind of a "not invented here" type? The point being it is not valid to make a conclusion about the truth or falsity of an argument based upon where it came from.

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 11:15PM

Why doesn't the church just properly answer all the questions in the CES letter? Then Jeremy Runnels and the rest of us will return to the fold and the problem will be solved.

The LDS church has a living prophet in direct communication with God. It shouldn't take more than a day or two for the prophet to put together a document that gives solid, convincing answers to all the questions in the CES letter.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.