Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: blakballoon ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 12:47AM

and couldn't find a link anywhere! I clicked through endless pathways to no avail. I could find them if I used the search feature and typed in 'essays' but no links.

I was in on a tablet, so I thought I'd check via the browser on a desk top.. Bingo, figured it out. The tab at the top only shows up when you have the tablet in landscape. The only link is on that tab Call me dumb maybe, but could they hide them any deeper??

Out of curiosity I checked on my phone, no links however you hold it. I also looked on the gospel library app.. Nope not there.

Am I being suspicious and paranoid or does it appear that the essays are hidden from mobile phone/tablet carrying young person of the 21st C

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: idahobanana ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 12:53PM

I know a lot of websites offer simpler versions for phones and tablets. They eliminate a lot of links and menus.

However, I know from designing a few of my own websites, that you can usually customize which links are ommitted and which are included.

Sometimes this means reorganizing your original site a little bit, but if you want something to show up within the preset parameters for the mobile app, you just adjust the original site. Not hard. Just extra time.

So.....my guess is that it's not a high priority for them to make it available on the mobile site. I mean , they have paid web-development staff who could easily do it. ( I'm a self taught newbie and I could do it).

Whether it's not a priority on purpose, or because of accidental oversight.......I 'll leave that up to you to make that assumption. I'm pretty jaded, so my GUESS would be that it's intentional.

Posted by: 64monkey ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 01:50PM

My assumption is that the essays are not for the investigator and not for the hard core member but for members who ask questions to their bishops who before had no references. Now a bishop can have on hand canned answers from, well to be honest I don't know where the essays came from no one takes official credit as far as I know. I'd even be surprised if the MTC tells new missionary's they even exist.

So I believe essays are purposely hidden or hard to find.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2016 01:51PM by 64monkey.

Posted by: hurting ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 02:21PM

My bishop told me he had heard there are essays but he hasn't read them yet.

Posted by: Demon of Kolob ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 01:59PM

Posted by: Demon of Kolob ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 03:13PM

Posted by: shodanrob ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 03:37PM

They're hard to find. I had to get the link from a NY Times article. That was well before I discovered this site.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 11:12PM

The Essays on the church website are not there for the purpose of you finding and reading them. They're only there for the lawyers and courts to read while the church is being sued for fraud. They need to claim that they disclosed that information to the public and therefore they did not commit fraud. But they really don't want people reading it. So they make it very difficult to find.

Also, if you're using android you can click on the button just to the left of the home button, then select "Desktop View". The page will then reload with the desktop version of the same website.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 11:21PM

the DIRECT links on top of the board :)

Posted by: Bluesky ( )
Date: February 22, 2016 01:04AM

Here is one additional link they do not include in the Gospel Topics pertaining to Plural Marriage in Kirkland and Navoo. For all the futile attempts the church tries to smooth over the "first marriage" between Joseph and Fanny Alger in Kirkland, note that Joseph didn't get the sealing ordinance until after Kirkland and further, in the JST, he didn't change the Bible Luke 20:34-36 where Jesus speaks of marriage in the afterlife after being challenged by the Sadducees who the woman would be married to after being married when a spouse dies. All of this speaks of Joseph not instituting plural marriage until after Kirkland. Also, check out in the gospel topics how the notes are drop down menus where they divulge the more difficult information...so subtle but glaring.

https://www.lds.org/topics/plural-marriage-in-kirtland-and-nauvoo?lang=eng

Posted by: mankosuki ( )
Date: February 22, 2016 11:06AM

Try finding them in another language! Japanese site doesn't have them that I could find. Did find a page that links them back to the English page.

http://www.mormonnews.jp/記事/教会,福音のテーマに関する最近のメディア報道用資料を提供

Found a more interesting piece that is decieving though. A little of Joe's history and translating the BoM. It gives reference to the rock in the hat process and footnotes the Ensign talk by Russell M Nelson. They have a photo of the seer stone too, BUT what is really interesting is all of the other accompanying photos are the ones we always see. Joe looking at the plates, working by candle light, etc? NO picture with his head in his hat!

http://www.mormonnews.jp/聖見者ジョセフ・スミス

Going to have to copy and paste the whole link. Just clicking will only take you to main news page. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2016 11:18AM by mankosuki.

Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: February 22, 2016 02:55PM

The Church has changed the links several times. We try to keep it current on our introduction to the essays page:

http://mormonthink.com/essays-responses-intro.htm

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 22, 2016 03:50PM

Joe looked for plates. They were just as hard to find. He broke them! He was a terrible eater, founder and facilitator.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.