Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nitrameequc ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 12:08AM

I grew up in the church. Primary. Mutual. Seminary. Mission. Temple marriage. (You know....listen , obey , don't question , whatever the leader's say is the Gods' truth, no matter what.) The typical Mormon 'fog' until I married my convert DH & he opened my eyes. Up until I married him, you did everything , no matter what, without questioning. It is HIM...my DH , who taught me the concept of " Who's idea was it in the Pre-Existence to force us and demand that we not question."? Boy, was THAT an eye opener !!!!!

Probably the dumbest question yet , But:

WHEN did they change the B.of M. from the original version, and add all of the stupid 'And it came to pass'es' and all of that ?

Was it Jos. Smith who changed that... or who ? My husband also said that in the original BofM there was also a lot of mispelled words. ( Like an uneducated kid would write. )

Any other insights I'd like to hear , also.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2016 12:09AM by nitrameequc.

Posted by: eunice ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 12:27AM

Have you looked at mormonthink.com or cesletter.com?

Date: February 12, 2016 12:53AM

No, But I sure will.

Thank you !

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 12:46AM

There are several facsimile editions of the first edition of the Book of Mormon, and they range from about $20-30. You could see for yourself. There are probably some editions that list the changes.

The changes to the B of M aren't something I studied in detail. I've heard there were over 2000 changes, mostly grammatical. But there were also some doctrinal changes that showed an evolving understanding of the Godhead. In the early editions, I hear that it was more of a Jesus is the same person as God the father, and now it's God and Jesus as separate beings.

http://www.biblio.com/book/book-mormon-facsimile-1830-first-edition/d/701823959?aid=frg&utm_source=google&utm_medium=product&utm_campaign=feed-details&gclid=CL-60NnB8coCFZKCaQodpgoFmQ

Date: February 12, 2016 12:54AM

I will look that up.

Thank you !!!

Posted by: Shinehahbeam ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 11:37AM

The original BoM included all the "and it came to pass..." language. As others have mentioned, most of the changes were corrections to spelling and grammar. There were also changes made once Joe firmed up his ideas on the godhead. Of course, the BoM still has some verses that plainly teach a trinitarian view of the godhead. The book contains no unique Mormon doctrine.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 12:42PM

One of the most frequent criticisms of the language of the Book of Mormon is the frequent use of the phrase "And it came to pass..." That may well be a valid criticism of the literary style of the supposed translation, but that criticism overlooks the fact that the very same phrase occurs quite frequently in the King James translation of the Bible, over 500 times in the Hebrew Old Testament and over 70 times in the Greek New Testament. The phrase in the New Testament is a translation of the one Greek word 'egeneto' meaning "it happened." In the Old Testament it translates a word of four characters, pronounced 'weyehi' meaning "and it happened." It is not unreasonable to assume that "Reformed Egyptian" might also have had such a single short word.

In other words, the frequent occurrence of "it came to pass" is not a valid indication that the BoM is not authentic.

There are much better reasons.

Posted by: justarelative ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 02:01PM

Date: February 12, 2016 03:33PM

justarelative Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Http://www.utlm.org/onlinebooks/3913intro.htm

Awesome !!! THANK YOU !!!!

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 11:18PM

When the church called the Book of Mormon the most perfect book ever written, and then later made changes to it, to remove the racist teachings, that was all I needed to realize that it was just crap. Try doing a google search for "chloroform in print".

Date: February 13, 2016 01:05AM

azsteve Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When the church called the Book of Mormon the most
> perfect book ever written, and then later made
> changes to it, to remove the racist teachings,
> that was all I needed to realize that it was just
> crap. Try doing a google search for "chloroform in
> print".

WILL DO !!! ;=) Thank you !!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.