Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Exmo Aspie ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 03:36PM

A favorite hobby of mine, is trolling LDS pages on facebook. Its how I get my kicks sometimes hahahaha! I recently read a post in the page "LDS Daily" a "Sadie D. Wells" of Kaysville, Utah was a sister missionary in Pennsylvania. She was killed in an automobile accident around one week ago.

While that is a tragedy, the comments from other mormons was quite disturbing. They were saying things like "its ok, she gets to go to heaven because she died on a mission" They weren't even considering the feelings of the families and friends affected, it was about that sister going to VIP heaven for dying as a missionary, losing a whole life of experiences to a multi-mullion dollar cult. It is a shame, but how can those people be so cold and unfeeling?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Shiz head ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 04:56PM

Yeah, its really weird how mormons behave in funerals.

When my mother in law died, she was in hospital for several weeks before she passed on. All her children that are active mormons didnt visit her. The would say things like "Oh she will be with her husband soon and we'll all see her again in the eternities" etc.

Meanwhile the dying mother was terrified. My wife stayed with her at the hospital every day making the most of her presence and comforting her when needed.

The rest were acting like a weird type denial wrapped mormony bubblewrap. Totally surreal.

I lost a great deal of respect for the rest of her family over those few weeks. Nevermind the living just focus on celestial kingdom.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 06:42PM

I heard a phrase that defines people like that...

They are so heavenly-minded that they are no earthly good!

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 06:52PM

Well, since religion is designed to allow humans to overcome their fear of death (at least the Jesus religions anyway), I'd say its working quite well.

It may be insensitive to others, but it seems to be doing what what we humans intended it to do.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 07:39PM

That is a little more than a fear of death. It is pretending death is nothing.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 09:07PM

I agree, it's pretending death isn't important and it shames those who go through the normal grieving process. Mormons tend to judge those who are actually sad at a death because they say that if someone is a true believer, they would be happy that their relative died because they got to "serve a mission" or "be reunited with their spouse".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2016 09:08PM by adoylelb.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 11:48AM

Well, in a way it is nothing....nothing more than anything else in life. We're born, we live, we die....biologically it just happens like everything else in life.

While I get the human need to grieve, mourn, etc....and I've had my share of that in life, I also feel that we humans imagine the importance of our lives on this planet to be far greater than they really are.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 12:38PM

I'm not talking about the importance of our lives on this planet.

Posted by: Emmabiteback ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 05:29PM

I was reading the comments with the ksl story about this accident. There were many saying she just was given a transfer as a missionary. No, she was killed in a tragic accident and her family will miss her deeply. People are so disconnected from reality its pathetic.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 07:27PM

Unfortunately, this is such a common thought and topic among the mishies. It is so convoluted and perverted to anyone that is not morgfully disturbed.

One day I found myself attempting to argue against this dumb way of thinking. Three greenies that had been out for less than 6 months couldn't stop bragging about how glorious it would be to die on their mission. Ultra-pathetic!

And I was still a believer at the time! But I never believed that the greatest thing in life was to serve a mission. To me it would be and is a tragedy for a young person to die early.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 07:40PM

comments. My neighbor's father died at 61 of cancer a few weeks ago. She doesn't say any of these things and I haven't seen any people post on her fb page about he just went on to a better place, etc. My neighbor is DEVASTATED. They are all mormons. It would be very offensive to my neighbor for someone to say these things to her.

When my cousin died at age 37 and left behind 6 kids, people were saying God had called her home for a greater purpose. I was still TBM and I thought "like hell he did." Two of her 6 children are now out of the church, the 2 oldest. Let's see how many stay in the church. The 2nd oldest who I never thought would leave, has left. Yes, tell that to kids who lose their mother.

Posted by: Crazy_stev3 ( )
Date: February 13, 2016 05:33AM

Sadie went to my highschool. I didn't know her very well personally but had a lot of mutual friends. Great girl, I feel for the people who knew and loved her, of which there are many, they're hurting right now.
As far as the "mission reassignment" and comments of the like go, nothing filled me with more rage at the recent sudden passing of my father than those who said things along the lines of "god needed him." Bull. Shit. My father spent half his life in bishoprics, was never home when I was a kid. Your god took up must of his life (the time his family was supposed to have with him) and according to you would have eternity to do god's work, whatever that is. There is nothing that "god" could have needed my father for more than my family needed him. Same thing for anyone who dies before their time. It's ridiculous, infuriating, and illogical. It's funny how much of a dick such a "loving" god is, isn't it? ;)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.