Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 01:37PM

This doesn't seem like a path to wisdom. Seems like a primrose path that a lemming would take.

"I am so happy for Tucker – he overcame his old fears, his old life, to learn about and accept something better and greater than what he was living through. Tucker is now living in a far better place in his life, with love and attention from our family. And what’s more important is that he knows it! He doesn’t want anything to do with the outdoors. He wants to stay where it’s safe, and comfortable, and secure. I know this is simplistic, but I think that many of us are like the “old” Tucker. We are resistant, perhaps fearful, of change taking place in our lives. Looking back at my own life, how many times had Heavenly Father put out “water and food” for me to take, but I was too blind, or stubborn, to take a chance and see it? Thankfully, He is patient with all of us. And as my understanding of Jesus Christ and His gospel deepens, my eyes are being opened - my mind, enlightened. I hear the soft callings of the Holy Spirit guiding me as I learn about trust, faith, forgiveness, and healing. I’ve learned of God’s sacrifice to give up His only begotten Son, and Jesus’ Atonement for all mankind. I’ve learned that by His grace, we are saved. I’ve learned that we can live with Him again. And I can’t comprehend what a glorious life that will be!!!!"
http://missionwithalex.blogspot.com/p/moms-musings.html

I thought the story of Lehi's dream eschewed comforts and highlighted the difficulties of seeking truth to be able to eat of the fruit of the tree of life? This seems like the opposite. It is also a terrible analogy. Be like a pet for Heavenly Father? Get to live in a cushy mansion and have some heavenly petting going on?

What a strange "parable" from a Mormon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2016 01:38PM by Elder Berry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mike T. ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 01:54PM

TBMs never get the contradictions and conflicts of their own doctrines and teachings. I've never seen a more confused religion in my life.

Date: February 11, 2016 02:17PM

It is like a whatever you can fit into it belief structure. Totally relative to the situation and the lesson to be learned. Funny, I don't remember the Jesus stories saying it was going to be easy as a fat cat in following him.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 02:23PM

That's a pickle.

Date: February 11, 2016 02:26PM

I'm sure the author has been baptized in Bednar's brine.

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 04:13PM

"...overcame his old fears, his old life, to learn about and accept something better and greater than what he was living through"

Cats, while awesome, are not human.

Somebody should tell this woman that cat brains are the size of half a ping-pong ball. Cats gravitate towards food, shelter, and warmth, and if they aren't feral, they usually accept people who feed them and pet them.

It sounds like she has been drinking too much catnip Kool-Aid.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 03:03PM

Right up to this, "We are resistant, perhaps fearful, of change taking place in our lives," it's a perfect argument for leaving the church. That's what I thought this was going to be, seeing as how the OP just dropped a quote without any context or attribution. Imagine my head-scratching as I realized it was a quote for some church guy, who was going to take a perfectly good exmo concept and turn it into some sort of pro-TBM faith-promoting bullshit.

The parable of the stray exmo cat:

Kitty was unhappy. His owners were stingy, made him sleep outside, and fed him only dry kibble day after day. Kitty hungered for MEAT. One day, one of the humans left the back door open. Kitty took one tentative step and found, the minute his paw hit the grass, that there were no terrible consequences. All the horrible, frightening things his humans had threatened him if he went out -- well, none of those things happened. He could chase birds and butterflies or just sun himself in the grass. The barking dog next door turned out to be just kind of lonely, so Kitty made friends with him and went over to visit every day, despite having been told to not mix with dogs because of their negative influence. Kitty finally went out to the back yard one day, said his goodbyes to the neighbor dog (whom he still visits from time to time) and kept right on going until he found another home where the owners fed him tastier food, and gave him a nice cushy bed in a sunny window, and who rubbed his chin when he asked them to. Kitty lived in the lap of luxury after that, contented and purring, for the rest of his nine lives. The End.

Date: February 12, 2016 03:12PM

dogzilla Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Right up to this, "We are resistant, perhaps
> fearful, of change taking place in our lives,"
> it's a perfect argument for leaving the church.
> That's what I thought this was going to be, seeing
> as how the OP just dropped a quote without any
> context or attribution. Imagine my head-scratching
> as I realized it was a quote for some church guy,
> who was going to take a perfectly good exmo
> concept and turn it into some sort of pro-TBM
> faith-promoting bullshit.

Excuse me. Links mean things. Don't read my posts if you won't check the link out. The snippet sums up the parable and the ending was quite clear it was TBM and not "perfectly good exmo concept."

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 05:22PM

Well, I didn't follow the link. I just read the quote. And then I wrote my own stray cat parable. What's wrong with looking at things from a different angle, to see things in a different light? The quote was about a cat who has been rescued and taken in by its new family, no? And how is that not like an exmo finding this site?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2016 05:22PM by dogzilla.

Date: February 12, 2016 05:53PM

dogzilla Wrote:
> Well, I didn't follow the link. I just read the
> quote. And then I wrote my own stray cat parable.
> What's wrong with looking at things from a
> different angle, to see things in a different
> light?

"That's what I thought this was going to be, seeing as how the OP just dropped a quote without any context or attribution."

This is looking at things from another angle and not calling me out for attribution I did have that you just didn't read?

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 10:51PM

Stupid parable.

My Mom has cats that spend half the time indoors and half the time outdoors. They like variety. When they are indoors they sit by the door hoping someone will let them out. When they are outdoors, they sit by the door and want someone to let them in.

The temperature is nice inside, they feel safe from other cats and dogs, and inside is where they are fed. But it is boring inside, or even scary if someone is running a vacuum cleaner or blender or something. There is nothing to hunt inside, and not enough space to run around wildly, go climbing, exploring, or traveling. So when one of the cats has been inside too long, it wants to go outside and have some fun and adventure.

I can imagine my Mom's cats feeling sad and imprisoned if she tried to always keep them inside.

Date: February 13, 2016 01:51PM

Heretic 2 Wrote:
> I can imagine my Mom's cats feeling sad and
> imprisoned if she tried to always keep them
> inside.

That is how I felt in Mormonism - sad and trapped and I just didn't quite understand it because it was so "comfortable." But it is only comfortable if you want thou shalts, rules, fantasy beliefs, and other people telling you how to live your life.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.