Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: shodanrob ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 12:15PM

BIL asked me yesterday if I was going to the open house for the new castle (temple) in Provo. I him hawed around and we might get to it if our busy schedule allows.

Head truly in the sand. He began to tell me how awesome it was and that they spared no expense (you remember what happened at Jurassic Park) He said our tithing dollars were put to good use and a noble cause. Told me how you see the money they invested in the place to make it worthy of the Lord. It's extravegent and beautiful

I was shell shocked. I used to think that way. All that talk of large and spacious buildings in the doctrine, yet here they are building them. Money well spent? They already have a temple there....donate it for God's sake.

I just nodded my head in agreement. Wanted to say your tithing dollars. I don't add to the cause anymore. Just kept my mouth shut for obvious reasons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2016 12:16PM by shodanrob.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 12:24PM

Money better spent would have been to fight the fire at the tabernacle when the alarms began going off, rather than to turn to each other and say, "Maybe we should wait. It may not be a fire, after all." It would not surprise me in any way if this turned out to be an intentional way of turning the building into a money-making shrine, but one would have to be particularly paranoid to believe that.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: February 13, 2016 07:16AM

Myron Donnerbalken Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Money better spent would have been to fight the
> fire at the tabernacle when the alarms began going
> off, rather than to turn to each other and say,
> "Maybe we should wait. It may not be a fire, after
> all." It would not surprise me in any way if this
> turned out to be an intentional way of turning the
> building into a money-making shrine, but one would
> have to be particularly paranoid to believe that.

Amen to that. My wife is still disappointed to have been a member of the first J. Rube graduating class in the modern era not to have had its convocation ceremony there. It was still a Morg building, but it had a bit of class, dignity, and respectable history in its favor, which all went up in smoke without a proper alarm system activated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2016 07:16AM by scmd.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 01:08PM

"And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin; And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these."

Worthy of the "Lord," huh? Hmm. See above :)

Posted by: Emanon (not logged in) ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 04:41PM

When I saw the fire several years ago and heard about it becoming a temple I thought it was sad the building would no longer be open to the public.

I requested tickets for my exmo family to see the new Provo temple. I want my youngest daughter to see what she can before the LDS church refuses admittance to all who aren't full tithe payers, a.k.a. give 10% of their annual income to the church.

When we went through the Payson temple open house DD said, "It's just a building." My response to her, "Yes, you are right."

If she sees these buildings while she can, and remembers it's, "just a building" then when someone tells her it's "a special place" she will remember that it's 'just a building' and there really is nothing extra special inside.

Posted by: shakinthedust ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 05:44PM

I loved the old Provo tabernacle. I loved the concerts there, and that it was open to all.

The new "temple" looks odd to me in that space, especially with the corporate MLM empire building towering over it. Somehow that seems fitting.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 05:53PM

"They rob the poor because of their fine sanctuaries ...." (Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 28:13)

In this verse the BoM is condemning all the corrupt, apostate religions for spending so much on their elaborate building programs when the money could be used to help the poor. Yet the Mormon church spends millions upon millions of dollars on its "fine sanctuaries" in the name of saving the dead over the living.

In the case of this particular temple, it appears to me they have really outdone themselves!

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: February 13, 2016 10:08AM

"oh OUCH!" Clearly written by someone who had not yet begun building his own fine sanctuaries.

Date: February 13, 2016 10:28AM

Well, well, well, they needed a prettier venue for all those BYU weddings. Do they have a nice new Mariott around nearby too? You know, sort of a complete package deal?

Date: February 13, 2016 10:41AM

Oh, yes, I see that a Marriott hotel is across the street from the new temple. Yeah, they've got the total package going for sure.

It really is a shame to have turned that building into a "paying members only" clubhouse. It was a lovely place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2016 10:41AM by seekyr.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 05:57PM

It's a glorified movie theater with a hot tub.

Posted by: idahobanana ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 12:42PM

+1!

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 06:01PM

Well, the Provo City Center temple is money well spent .......compared to the insane LDS Inc 5 billion $ boondoggle at City Creek Center Mall !!!!

Posted by: born in fell out ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 06:22PM

I find it interesting and yet ironic that the south parking lot for the temple is built on the Roberts hotel properly they aquired which housed the homeless for Provo.

Thank GOD

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: February 22, 2016 10:58AM

Wow. Seriously?

Posted by: Imbolc ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 06:51PM

Who knew God was so into ostentation? Hmmmm...

Posted by: Battle-Ax ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 09:35PM

I have it from a well placed source the it exceeded 160 million.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.