Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: goat ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 10:46AM

At work there is a man that I know is LDS. It was about 3:00 pm and we were going to head out onto the shop floor. He said "I need some caffeine" and went into the break room medicine cabinet where he proceeded to pop two extra strength pain killers that had caffeine added.

To me it is cog dis at it's finest. Not ok to have a cup of joe, instead start popping pills. Does that make any sense?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 10:51AM

In his fevered little mind if it ain't hot, it ain't a sin.

RB

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 01:19PM

Lethbridge Reprobate Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In his fevered little mind if it ain't hot, it
> ain't a sin.

Except if it's not-hot-coffee, like a Starbucks Frapuccino. Then it's still a sin.

Why?

Um...because! That's why!

Sigh.

Date: February 11, 2016 01:36PM

The "because! that's why" response is so fucking stupid. I caught myself saying it to my own kids and I was mad at myself for stopping so low. It's indicative of a rules structure that exist or no other reason than to exercise control for it's own sake and give power to the overseers.

RB

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 04:38PM

Ron, I actually told my kids that if I ever used "just because!" or "because I say so!" they were free to call me on it, and demand a better reason.

It took my oldest son 13 years, but he finally caught me, and called me on it.

It took me a good 10 minutes to both apologize, and to try to articulate valid reasons...and I couldn't, so he won :)

Posted by: idahobanana ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 11:58AM

I love this! It's indicative of mutual respect as long as you still maintain boundaries that are legitimate and structured and well understood by both parties eventually ( because sometimes kids have to grow into that understanding.) Thanks for sharing

Date: February 22, 2016 01:12AM

I've heard my daughter in law say it....and I bite my tongue and mind my own business.

RB

Posted by: SCMD not logged in ( )
Date: February 22, 2016 06:45PM

My wife and I sometimes use it with one of my nephews who challenges the most basic common sense rules, courtesy rules, and safety rules. We explain once, and do so thoroughly, if the kid, who is seven and is old enough to know better on most of the ridiculous challenges he poses, contests a rule. After that, the answer is "because I said so," since we already gave him a valid answer. He's presumably just challenging authority, not really wanting to know why it's not a great idea to throw our trash on a park lawn and leave it there for someone else to pick up, or why it isn't OK to eat fries with ketchup on his grandmother's living room sofa.

This particular nephew's parents think his challenges are evidence that their kid is a great critical thinker and hence a genius because he debates everything. I'm perfectly willing to explain once, but after that, I'm more than willing to play the "you'll do it my way because I'm in charge right now" card. If his parents want to engage of a battle of words and wits with a seven-year-old I cannot stop them, but I'm unwilling to do that myself.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 10:52AM

Nope.

But I've seen the same. Older Mormons I knew would pop pink "wake-ups" for long drives or similar things. You see, the caffeine wasn't in the form of 'hot drinks'.

Today all kinds of young Mormons drink energy drinks and say the same thing (sarcastically, jokingly mostly).

And really, have you ever known a Mormon who ate meat sparingly, or stuck to eating only in-season fruits?

The WoW is silly.

Human

Posted by: nada ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 11:06AM

I actually had a native comp in S. America who followed the "fruits in season" part of the WOW.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 12:36PM

If the WoW were merely stupid, I could laugh. Instead, it is dangerous. Coffee can reduce problems of depression, diabetes, and other diseases. I, myself, suffered from depression and coffee usage results in not having to take any antidepressant, I had hypoglycemia and was pre-diabetic and it saved me. The blood sugar problem thus treated had resulted in the need for by-pass heart surgery. I almost died. I know of a young man who, not drinking coffee which works quickly, died in an automobile accident as he fell asleep at the wheel going home from a young singles event. But he had kept the WoW.

I need to add new information about tea: according to a study drinking three cups a day strengthens bones and reduces the breaking of bones!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2016 06:46PM by rhgc.

Date: February 22, 2016 01:14AM

I knew a TBM who had the local Coke bottler deliver cases of Coca -Cola in glass bottles!! He mainlined that shit!

RB

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 11:00AM

I've never met a mormon who could go into an explanation of the WoW without throwing "obedience is the key to getting blessings" into the conversation as a way to explain the things that don't make sense.

Date: February 11, 2016 11:28AM

WOW is beyond stupid. And the fact there are or were lots of fat Mormons in my day proves the dietary guidelines weren't being followed anyway. And how about the Mormons who mainline Coke and Pepsi but will heap scorn on anyone having a beer.

RB

Posted by: Justin ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 02:45PM

You won't get caught drunk driving after drinking a Pepsi. There is a world of difference between alcohol and caffeinated soft drinks. I'm not condemning anyone for drinking alcohol responsibly, but I've seen a lot of pain caused by alcohol abuse. When you start drinking alcohol you really don't know if you are the one who is going to wind up with a problem. I'm actually grateful that Mormonism kept me from experimenting with alcohol.

Posted by: mushinja ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 08:29PM

Justin Wrote:
> You won't get caught drunk driving after drinking
> a Pepsi.

You won't get caught drunk driving after drinking a beer either, unless you drive, which is against the law, and just plain stupid. Thankfully most people who drink don't drive.

> There is a world of difference between alcohol and caffeinated soft drinks.

I completely agree. Drinking a glass of wine or beer is known to have health benefits, whereas a glass of Pepsi or Mt. Dew does not.

> I'm not condemning anyone for drinking alcohol
> responsibly,

That's good, because it almost sounds like you are.

> but I've seen a lot of pain caused by alcohol abuse.

Yes, abuse of any kind can cause a lot of pain.

> When you start drinking alcohol you really don't know if you are the one who is going to wind up with a problem.

Yes, but if you are a mature, responsible adult, it's very likely that you won't.

> I'm actually grateful that Mormonism kept me from experimenting with alcohol.

Good for you. I am grateful for the fuller, more enjoyable life I have been able to live - including enjoying alcohol - freed from the infantilising strictures of mormonism.

Choosing not to drink is a perfectly legitimate decision, but it is in no way a morally superior decision.

Where I live, most adults, including the most respected and contributing members of society drink. Problem drinkers are by far the minority.

Date: February 22, 2016 01:18AM

I have cut my Diet Coke intake waaay back but I fall off the wagon occasionally. And when I have lunch of dinner at pub that has Guinness on tap I have 1 pint...and my wife has a few sips off it too. My beer fridge take a long time to empty. My heart meds limit my alcohol consumption and I'm fine with that.

RB

Posted by: maizyday ( )
Date: February 23, 2016 02:56AM

Mushinja!

Thank you!

Your response to Justin was spot on. You wrote what I was thinking.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 03:56PM

I agree, many of the TBM's I know drink sodas as if they're about to be banned, yet look down on someone drinking coffee or tea. It's possible that many BIC Mormons might have the genetic tendency for alcoholism, so in a sense, it's probably better for them not to have alcohol. After all, prescription drug addiction is a serious problem in Utah, which shows that people genetically predisposed to addiction will use something else if they don't use alcohol.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 10:03PM

One-half a caffeine pill wth a Diet Coke is the norm in my Morg neighborhood. Why not? It beats a cranky Mormon any day. The Boner.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 10:08PM

every time I see this topic, I remind that there was...in the mid 70s... a FP SM ltr saying that de-caf coffee is OK.

Yup, but it's down the Memory Hole now!

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: February 22, 2016 08:28AM

The Kimball administration announced that decaf coffee and tea were A-okay. Yet nobody seems to remember. The SL Tribune brought this up only a couple of years ago.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 12:52AM

I'm sure his kidneys and liver are reaping heaps of blessings from all that unnecessary acetaminophen.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 06:08PM

One of the last Sunday school classes I attended long ago an investigator asked the teacher about caffeine and the WoW.

He wanted to know about the church stance on the benefits of drinking green tea?

The teacher told him it would be acceptable to take a green tea supplement in capsule form, but not to drink the tea (hot or cold.)

That was the last time that investigator sat in on a class. He stopped coming altogether lol.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 06:10PM

Amyjo Wrote:
> The teacher told him it would be acceptable to
> take a green tea supplement in capsule form, but
> not to drink the tea (hot or cold.)

Wonderful story, Amyjo!!

:)

Posted by: Bluesky ( )
Date: February 22, 2016 01:08AM

I have read previous leaders even say that hot soup was forbidden concerning the word of wisdom. Crazy! Perhaps Jesus said it best...
Matthew 15:10-11

Posted by: anaiiii ( )
Date: February 22, 2016 01:30AM

Right before I left the church I started drinking coffee. At one point I had weekly bishop interviews seeing if felt guilty yet. Pause nope. not yet. OKay see you next time, okay nope still don't feel guilty.

Phew Glad that's over. I wish wasn't out of coffee.

:)

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 22, 2016 01:52AM

Riding that scheme
High on caffeine
Casey Jones you better
Watch your speed

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: February 22, 2016 02:19AM

My fil drank Pepsi every morning with breakfast. He called it his medicine.

My own father hides Mt,Dew out in his shop. He drinks it warm. I still don't think my mother knows. She strictly banned all Coke products from the house.

My stepson who chastises his father and I for drinking coffee, can't go for more than two hours without Pepsi.

Yep i'm evil, I drink 16oz of coffee every morning.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: February 22, 2016 04:02AM

My TBM ex and his mom could easily drink a case of Pepsi or Mountain Dew in a day, and they have a family history of diabetes. As much as my ex is my ex for a reason, I hate to think that he and his mom were drinking themselves into diabetes with all of the soda they consumed.

One thing that I know for sure is that when I left my ex and the church, I lost weight when I replaced soda with tea and coffee as well as water. To me, coffee was actually the most difficult thing to give up when I converted, so there were times when I would sneak a cup when I could make sure my ex wouldn't find out.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: February 22, 2016 07:26AM

I have allergies and health problems, and caffeinated soda irritates my insides, and makes me sick. I'm allergic to artificial sweetener, so I have to drink the sugar stuff. Is it the combination of the sugar, the carbonation, and the caffeine all together that does it?

Oddly, I can drink a cup of black coffee with milk and no sugar, and I feel great. I drank that before every exam in college, and got straight A's. If the test was long, I would supplement with chocolate.

Caffeine definitely improves your brain-power.

I have to drink decaf now, because caffeine makes my PTSD, anxiety and insomnia worse. I wonder if decaf has the same health benefits--anyone know?

Posted by: pettigrew ( )
Date: February 22, 2016 07:33AM

Caffeine isn't against the WoW.

That's been recently clarified.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2016 07:33AM by pettigrew.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: February 22, 2016 08:06AM

The Word of Wisdom in a nutshell: Bullshit doctrine from a bullshit church.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: February 22, 2016 02:39PM

Rationalization in any and all forms trumps all rules and regulations.

It is especially effective when taken with a good dose of denial.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.