Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 09:45PM

"Oh, my church would NEVER criticize another church!" Right!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 03:04PM

Indeed! One of my Ricks dorm mates' reaction to me marrying a Catholic was "oh, that church has nothing". Ignorant asshole.

RB

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 10:53PM

Jesus Christ, what an uneducated dolt. The practice of "giving something up for Lent" is not Catholic doctrine; fasting is, and the Mormons seem to be perfectly okay with that. Hell, their own Word of "Wisdom" tells them not to eat meat--all the time, not just during Lent and Advent (fun fact: Advent was originally a penitential season like Lent, which is why the liturgical color is purple for both seasons).

But the biggest problem with this person's ranting is this: if Mormons reject Lent and Ash Wednesday because it wasn't practiced by Christ or the original apostles in the Bible, then they must reject Christmas and Easter for the same reason.

Oh, by the way Mormons: "Christmas" is an elision of "Christ Mass," which is...Catholic!

Posted by: Cpete ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 11:13PM

Which was ripped off from the pagans.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 03:17PM

Cpete Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Which was ripped off from the pagans.

No, only the date.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 03:19PM

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 09:55PM

What do you mean "ALL of the symbolism is pagan"?

Can you break down exactly which symbolism you are taking about? The cultural symbolism or the liturgical symbolism or both?

Posted by: Cpete ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 11:19PM

Yep Dec 25th, the birth of the unconquered sun.

Posted by: sunnynomo ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 09:48AM

Advent is still a penetential season.

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 02:58PM

I said "originally" because many Protestant churches have moved away from that interpretation of the season, using blue instead of purple, changing the lectionary, emphasizing hopeful waiting rather than personal penitence, etc. But you're right--for the Catholic church especially, it's still closely tied to Lent.

Posted by: bona dea unregistered ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 11:21PM

They barely acknowledge Easter. I am hardly surprised they dont do Lent

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 12:22AM

this is new and exciting

¿ who was mormon ?

brb ~ bookmarking

www.ldsliving.com

Date: February 11, 2016 12:41AM

I couldn't go very far into the article. I felt like I was drowning in ignorance.

http://www.catholiceducation.org/en/culture/catholic-contributions/history-of-lent.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2016 12:42AM by angela.

Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 01:04AM

The last paragraph in the article:

"And Because we believe that Jesus Christ lives, we believe that the head of our church not a man, but that Jesus Christ is the Living Head. We believe that He leads us and loves us! Just as in before times. Our focus is on the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Billions have died. Christ was the First to conquer death. And because of that. The first weekend of every April we hold a General Conference of the Church. Where all the living Apostles bear their especial Apostolic testimony that Christ Lives. And that He leads us today. They speak the words of Christ and teach us His commandments. We honor the life of Jesus Christ by following Him and listening to His Prophets."
-------

Because General Conference = Easter

Posted by: bona dea unregistered ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 01:12AM

We shouldnt celebrate Lent because it isnt Biblical. Well neither are Christmas, Easter or General Conference and Jesus worshipped in a synagogue on Saturday. He didnt attend sunday school,sacrament meeting, priesthood, and as a child he didnt go to primary or young men's. His mother didnt attend relief society or young women's. When he went to the temple it wasnt to do baptisms or endowments. He prayed and sacrificed.

Date: February 11, 2016 01:25AM

Hey, the writer of the article is a wet-behind-the-ears RM. Got off his mission '14 and was homeschooled.

His ignorance is understandable now.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 02:07AM

This rationalizing and double-talk is silly. They use traditional church things when they fit, and ignore them or criticize them when they don't. As always, they want to have their cake and eat it too.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.