Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: en passant ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 01:44PM

Since the church has declared same-sex families personna non grata, I'm wondering if you can request excommunication. Is there precedent for requesting it? And for having the church comply with such a request?

Why not make them do it? Why not make them administratively carry out the consequences of their decision? Why not try to force them to wallow in it? And maybe have it make the evening news?

It might not be the best decision for gay people who really want to remain in the church, but a cranky old SOB like me might just take pleasure in it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 01:57PM

Excommunication is driven by the local leadership. Schedule an interview with the Bishop and go into graphic detail of your "sins". Express how unrepentant you are and that you will keep sinning.

You can also just attend church meetings with your significant other. Hold hands and kiss during the meetings. You'll be out in no time whatsoever.

Posted by: shodanrob ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 02:09PM

Just walk up to the pulpit and bear your testimony about the CES letter and share it. Buh bye

Posted by: Whiny ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 02:27PM

Yes, you can ask for excommunication. I did before resignations were a common thing. If I had known way back then that I could resign, I might have done that instead. But I still like saying I am excommunicated to Mormons. For the shock value. And they will leave you alone. They always assume it was something sexually naughty, even if it wasn't. Yup, I am a sometimes cranky SOB, and Mormons are Judgy McJudgersons. LOL! :)

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 02:32PM

I don't get this drive by exmos to be martyrs. What do you think you are accomplishing? Do you think any one of those in the Bishopric or dry counsel will be swayed by your testimony? You are not swayed by theirs.

I tried to listen to Joe Rawlings's trial. He insisted on it even after his Bishop and SP asked him to simply resign. His grandiose presentation almost put me to sleep. Why did he bother wasting his time and their time?

His book and talks may be great for those seeking to leave, but the 15 in his trial were no more persuaded than you would be their testimonies.

Posted by: Whinny ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 02:43PM

Getting yourself excommunicated is hardly martyrdom. A membership in the church is not anything of value, nothing is sacrificed in giving it up. And that is a quite a statement to make. I was actually demanding for myself my spiritual freedom. From those who mistakenly believed that they knew anything about my spirituality.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 04:04PM

I still don't understand why you would want to sit in front of 15 Sanctimonious Men. I can think of 1,000 things better to do with my time than play their silly games.

If you don't believe, then what do you need their approval for?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2016 10:14PM by axeldc.

Date: February 10, 2016 04:15PM

Their approval? Lol. No, I didn't need their approval. Maybe on some level, I did it for their disapproval? There was no harm for me in earning the disapproval of a ridiculous cult devoted to a stupid, fairy tale book written by an adulterous conman.

Posted by: en passant ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 05:49PM

I wouldn't be doing it for martyrdom, but for pleasure.

You are right--there would be no point in exchanging testimony. I wouldn't even attend the actual "ceremony."

Somehow just making them do it seems right to me. They ought to be required to personally deal with the problem, family by family. And for families who actually would attend the ceremony, have to look them right in the eyes and betray the depth of their evilness.

Of course, chances are it wouldn't bother them at all.

Posted by: postpostmormon ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 02:36PM

I did, over 30 years ago. I sent a letter to the stake presidency saying that I did not believe that JS was a prophet and that the church was NOT what it claimed to be.

At that time, it was the only way that I knew to get them to leave me the f*#! alone. As I recall, it took a couple weeks to get a letter requesting me to appear at a court, to which I responded that I had no intention of participating in, and that they needed to go ahead and do what they felt they needed to do. It was of no concern to me. No further contact required...

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 02:42PM

Isn't this like asking a bully to "hit me one more time, please."

The Mormons control their excommunications. You would be on their home "court" and they are not going to let you turn it into your personal platform.

They do imperious very well.

I am reminded of the quote by Mark Twain, "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

So . . .maybe, "Never argue with arrogant pious Mormons, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience?"

Imagine looking at your love court panel and they all look like Martin Shkreli before congress with the same pompous smile.

Date: February 10, 2016 02:55PM

pppsshh! They all looked like and acted like pompous Martin Shkreli's before the moment of the love court. Not like I wasn't already used to that! Just a verification of what I already knew.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 02:47PM

I suppose if you wanted to make a "statement" and a fuck you to the cult, requesting to be ex'd would do it. No secrets there.

RB

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 05:50PM

Get up every F&T Sunday (to bear you testicle-monies) and, given long enough, you'll be exed - because they can't legally execute you - for indecency (because what you are sharing is a lot more decent than what the 'church' is "sharing").

Date: February 10, 2016 05:52PM

moremany Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Get up every F&T Sunday (to bear you
> testicle-monies) and, given long enough, you'll be
> exed - because they can't legally execute you -
> for indecency (because what you are sharing is a
> lot more decent than what the 'church' is
> "sharing").
TESTICLEMONIES.....I love it! Thank you!

RB

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 06:05PM

Thanks RB - I can't help it. I was made funny and I live like it (through no fault of my own). I was designed creative (though I had to leave to fog of TMC, long ago, and more recently, to realize it) and sometime let things out (for others to graze on), while leaving others in, to simmer to perfection.

Love ya' Ron

M@t

Date: February 11, 2016 06:04PM

I hear ya. I love to interject a funny line, especially when it has some shock value. I can make my wife laugh (always a good thing).

Loveya back

RB

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 03:24PM

When I left in the early 80s I requested it because at that time it was the only way I thought I could remove my name. I actually enjoyed the experience and told the HC and SP that I was the one doing the Xing. Their biggest mistake was asking if I had anything to say before they pronounced their verdict.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.