Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 10:19PM

Yes, I attended (even though there was some skepticism from a few whether or not I would show up).

What a sweet, innocent little girl. Still, I couldn't help but wonder if she will be able to stick it out as a member for the rest of her life. Her father (my son, and a very good man) baptized and confirmed her a member, and (of course), said something to the effect that she now has the Holy Spirit to be with her, to guide her (etc.).

Question: Do Mormon's think being "watched out for" by God only occurs to baptized members of the Mormon church (not God's church, but the "Mormons")? What about the rest of mankind?

Answer: As it appears, the church and its "active" members, naively, tend to think of the church as the one and only "true" church, and thus, whose members are on the only ones who are on the path which leads to membership in the "Celestial" kingdom.
----

FYI, and as an aside: I believe the Holy Spirit IS God, as He is a spirit entity (not of flesh), and as such, cares about all of His children (including those having trouble).

Also, IMO, "baptized" or not, my granddaughter was already a legitimate "child of God". Besides, baptism is not a life-saving principle. (Instead, it indicates, to adults, the principle of respect one has for our Savior, himself, including "following the example" the Savior, himself, set.

At any rate, our granddaughter was the only one baptized that day, and a sizable amount of relatives were their to see the deed done. Also, many church members willingly lent their time in support of the ritual (pianist, chorister, prayer givers, and those who got the facility ready for use, and so forth).

I guess what I want to say is that a lot of good people freely extended themselves to welcome this little girl into the church and ward. And, as she grows up, such people will continue to attend her (such as the primary group, and all who will be her teacher in classes as she grows up). Also, no fees for the use of the Ward's facilities were charged.

The danger, of course, is when false doctrine is taught, it brings with it problems and sorrows.

My adult daughter gave the talk on being baptized, etc., and was not over-bearing, but simply rehearsed simple related doctrine. She (and another lady), wore a long skirt for the occasion.

A daughter in law and myself, (gasp), wore "dress" pants to the occasion. No one treated us badly in any way for this breech of clothing wear.

Afterward, we were off to the families' home to enjoy a buffet luncheon (including some delicious real Mexican bean-soup, with chicken, and lots of desserts--including my famous home-made chocolate cake, made by another daughter-in-law). All were invited to come. (No family feuds to deal with, as this is "not our style".)

So, the baptism event was a positive exposure to the church, with no nonsense stuff. It's what can happen later that can do harm.

IMO, some members stay in church for the positive things it has to offer, such as the friendships that can be made, and people who can be called on if someone needs help during a crisis.

While some persons misuse this privileged situation, it is a learning experience for others on how to respond to such "freebie" seekers. (Try being a Rel.Soc. president, and you can find out how real quick. My clever sister, after having repeatedly been asked by a lazy "sister" in the ward to provide her family a dinner, asked the woman if she had cold cereal in the her cupboard, and suggested she help herself by feeding them that for dinner.)
----

I am also well aware that many others have big and very serious problems to deal with--even if they are "active" in the church, and who legitimately need--and get--help.

Just to let you know that all was not smooth for me during my church attendance years, I share the following: My problems came (as it has for others), when I followed the church's advice to "study the scriptures", and publicly shared (outside the confines of the church) what I learned. In so doing I ran into a hurricane of negative activity from church leaders who vigorously sought to excommunicate me (as advised by apostle Packard). X'ing a person is a favored punishment, as it has potential to do great harm to the victim and his/her family and job). (How I dealt with this is another story.)

So now, I am among the suspect rebels, and save myself and the church from open conflict as I, happily and contentedly, don't go to church (except for a very few family-related occasions such as the above mentioned baptism).
Old friends wonder why I don't go, and this is good, as I am ready to share, if asked. However, they seem to sense this and are afraid of me, let alone to ask me questions.

In the mean time, I don't have to put up with pretenses, or support doctrinal nonsense, or go to church. The church can't hurt me, if I don't let it. I have a resignation letter ready to use, if necessary. (The church has no power over non-members.)

Currently, I get by as an "inactive". Being aware of my options is very freeing.

Besides, I have you-all in RfM to discuss things with, and share experiences. Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.