Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 09:18PM

People LOVE certainty! We collectively do all sorts of things to AVOID uncertainty!!

Gambling offers people 'excitement' & entertainment in exchange for the supposed uncertainty of a payoff (House ALWAYS keeps / wins about 25%, but not 25% of YOUR $)

People Love & Want certainty in their financial & personal/emotional lives.

Love & Certainty don't go together anymore 'like they used to', but LDS, Inc tries to Remedy that with Temple Marriages & Sealings, promises (That they can't deliver on) of "Eternal Life".

In exchange for tithing, members get the unwritten promise that saints will always have enough...

Those are the things people want.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2016 10:09PM by GNPE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 09:45PM

That's the message of the Grand Inquisitor chapter in The Brothers Karamazov, by Dostoevsky.

Posted by: breeze ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 10:07PM

I used to think that people crave love, most of all, but I agree that certainty overrides live.

Believing in the supremacy of love, I have always been confused why people cling to such a loveless, mercenary, and abusive religion. "certainty" would explain it.

There's something else which I believe is an even stronger motivation for people to join and stay in a cult. FEAR! This a powerful emotion! Mormonism is based on frightening lies and threats.

Fear that if you aten't a member of the cult, that you are a member of a church thar is wrong, and even evil.

Fear of losing your family forever. (The most horrible threat to a child, who's ver life depends on his parents!). The Mormons in Primary threatened my kids with this.

Fear if burning in the second coming (Mormons call tithing "burn insurance.". Not funny--especially to kids.

Fear of beibg shunned, disowned, hated by Mormon family members.

Fear of "outer darkness."

Mormonism focuses on DEAD PEOPLE, which still scares the c---- out of me!

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 10:13PM

because a certain portion of the population is very gullible/ foolish/ STUPID aka real MORmONS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rOPRdjrlJE

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 08:04AM

Sure, LDS, Inc. sells you certainty, but then they undermine you with uncertainty over your place in that plan.

As a non-believer, you face an eternity that extends from nothing to one of the many belief systems such as reincarnation, resurrection, etc. As a Mormon, you know what the plan is.

However, you then spend your whole life fearing whether you are "worthy" or not. You become a slave to LDS, Inc., giving up to them whatever they ask in time, money and devotion. Even the most industrious TBM still questions whether he/she is worthy. Did that negative thought about your neighbor condemn you to a lower kingdom? What if my kids don't believe? Did I proselytize my neighbors enough? Did I serve a worthy mission?

You replace the uncertainty of the eternities with personal angst over trivial rules. Instead of wonder and possible despair, you spend your entire life mired in guilt-induced anxiety.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2016 08:05AM by axeldc.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.