Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: hurting ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 08:34PM

In Sunday School this year it is the Book of Mormon. This last Sunday we read a verse that stood out to me. 2Nephi 2:6-7:

"6. Wherefore, I Lehi, prophesy according to the workings of the Spirit which is in me, that there shall none come into this land save they shall be brought by the hand of the Lord.

7. Wherefore, this land is consecrated unto him whom he shall bring. And if it so be that they shall serve him according to the commandments which he hath given, it shall be a land of liberty unto them; wherefore, they shall never be brought down into captivity; if so it shall be because of iniquity"

so slaves were brought here from Africa, by the hand of the Lord, and they were in captivity. Was Joseph trying to say it was their own fault? Or did he forget about that little slave detail at the time?

Really it's neither here nor there, it's false anyway. I'm new to looking at mormon things with a critical eye

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 08:52PM

Somebody help me with references. Several GA's have declared that slavery was actually a benefit to blacks, because by coming over to America they were in a position to be exposed to The True Church.

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 10:21PM

I don't know the references.

All that I know is that those GA's are deeply, painfully, sick from apologistosis. They should be rescued from their homes and families by force, chained together, put on ships in misery and filth, shipped across an ocean, where the survivors can be sold to anyone with enough cash to buy them, so that they can have the opportunity to be exposed to The True Church in some distant country.

Seriously, as if the slaves couldn't have been exposed to TTC by missionaries, and stay right at home with their lives and families intact. Well, as intact as TSCC leaves anyone's lives.

I truly hope that no GA or person of any rank ever says such a thing in my presence.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2016 10:22PM by peculiargifts.

Posted by: hurting ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 01:46AM

I googled it, and I didn't find any lds GA's saying that. I did find other prominent people have said things like that.

http://www.salon.com/2012/10/12/ten_conservatives_who_have_praised_slavery/

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.