Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: justarelative ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 02:32PM

Dear Team,

My wife and I (both never-mos, but with Mormon relatives) went out to dinner last night at our favorite place when we feel like spending time and money. And we were celebrating an important birthday, not saying whose or which one, but...

There's a quaint little tourist-oriented historic town out in the country about 45 minutes from our house. Originally settled by Germans, several of the restaurants still feature flavors from the old country.

During the course of the evening I could not help but to turn the conversation toward some of the stories I've been reading on this board. Since she's not up to speed, I was giving her an overview of where the Mormon Exodus stands today as best we understand it.

As I was talking, I began to notice that a lot of older people were walking past us through the restaurant to a back section -- for a private party I presume. They were going past us a few at a time, then more, then another batch. It wasn't all that distracting so I continued my monologue with my wife.

Then I started noticing that these older people going past were all wearing black name tags and, taxing my own aging eyesight, tried to get a glimpse of a few to see what was going on. Sure enough, all the men had the same first name: Elder.

My first thought: unless this is a routine event, the waiters are going to be disappointed by the bar tab.

Unintimidated, I continued my explanation to my wife about how the Mormon Church is having more and more difficulty keeping information, truthful but damaging information, from their own members. We continued by speculating whether this storm would hit our Mormon relatives, and if so, what role we might play in that.

It was a great meal, nice view of the river, comfortable warmth of the fireplace, wonderful company, excellent service, stimulating conversation. Plenty of time to talk about family and enjoy each other's company on the ride home.

JAR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2016 05:06PM by Susan I/S.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 02:40PM

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 04:15PM

That's what I was thinking, since those are actually a thing.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 04:44PM

What would one call a group of missionaries? A flock, a gaggle, a straight flush?

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 04:58PM

A Murder of Crows.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 05:46PM

A mangle of missionaries.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 07:52PM

"What would one call a group of missionaries? A flock, a gaggle, a straight flush?"

Dumb asses.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 08:45PM

hahahahahaha!

A Dumb of Asses.

Posted by: elderpopejoy ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 09:43PM

StillAnon asks:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "What would one call a group of missionaries? A
> flock, a gaggle, a straight flush?"

or a "Shiny shoal of solicitors."

Date: February 09, 2016 05:36PM

Yes, didn't think about it at the time, but missionary reunion makes sense. Except you don't see that sort of thing in this part of the country very often. As in only that once ever.

JAR

Posted by: OzDoc ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 05:57PM

Probably the senior missionaries plus MP. Reading the local blog it seems that every other post is pics at a restaurant

Posted by: jerry64 ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 07:42PM

Posted by: iduspatricius ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 08:59PM

You from Wenatchee?

Date: February 09, 2016 09:19PM

Major US city; Central Time Zone.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.