Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anonforthisone ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 11:21AM

carried there on the backs of her sons. LOL!

She's around 80 years old. Not sure how she feels about the fact that it's no longer brought up.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 11:29AM

Patriarchal blessings are just another con to subserviate the many to the few.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 11:47AM

I told my daughter about the whole "walking back to Missouri" thing, and she was like "why wouldn't people ride a bike or something?"

NO, that's just not dramatic enough! I gotta tell you though, carrying your mother on your back takes the cake for drama.

Posted by: anonforthisone ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 11:57AM

I know. I mean, can you think of anything more pitiful? The guy who gave the blessing must have just watched "A Christmas Story" and visions of Bob Cratchit and Tiny Tim were on his mind.

First time DH told me that I was dumb-founded. Her sons all have bad backs to boot!

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 09:47PM

"I told my daughter about the whole "walking back to Missouri" thing, and she was like "why wouldn't people ride a bike or something?"

Shortly after I returned from my mission in 1976, our Gospel Doctrine lesson one Sunday was on this subject. The teacher was this middle-aged lady who was one of the TBM "pillars of the ward"---a Hardshell Mormon. She related the line about us having to walk to Missouri one day. I raised my hand and said "Well, it wouldn't be like it was in pioneer days. There are paved roads and vehicles now" etc. She just looked at me like I was the first person who had ever thought of such a thing.

She didn't really say anything in response, but I could hear her thinking "The prophet said we're gonna walk to Missouri, so by God, we're gonna walk!"

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 05:11AM

I picture Mormons pushing not handcarts, but their stripped-down automobiles back to Missouri ... what with the coming gas shortages and EMP's.

Date: February 10, 2016 11:58AM

"what with the coming gas shortages and EMP's."

Uhhhhh..."the coming gas shortages"? Are you posting from like, 1979? There's more oil production now than ever before, and new oil deposits being discovered. That's why gas prices are so low.

Posted by: jellobeltnevermo ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 12:06PM

Newly converted neighbor told me his patriarchal blessing said that he was in a wheelchair (been in one for 14 years) so he could do genealogy. I am like WTF? You are in a wheelchair because you have MS and can't walk.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 02:14PM

Love Mormonology. The putting of Mormon reasons ahead of logic.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 11:33PM

WTF.

How cruel.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 09:50PM

That's priceless. I try to picture granny riding piggy back down the freeway to Missouri.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2016 09:52PM by madalice.

Date: February 09, 2016 11:04PM

"That's priceless. I try to picture granny riding piggy back down the freeway to Missouri."

I wonder---when granny makes the trek, will the huge billboards that advertise the nearest adult stores still line the interstate?

Posted by: altava ( )
Date: February 14, 2016 04:53AM

randyj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "That's priceless. I try to picture granny riding
> piggy back down the freeway to Missouri."
>
> I wonder---when granny makes the trek, will the
> huge billboards that advertise the nearest adult
> stores still line the interstate?

Of course they will! There are so many in Missouri anyways!

Posted by: PeacePrincess ( )
Date: February 14, 2016 12:34PM

But there's one little problem: by law, pedestrians are not allowed on the Interstate Freeway system (though bicycles are tolerated on some rural stretches if no other suitable route exists). So it seems the Mormon Exodus has two options to face: risk arrest or walk along Highway US 40 instead.

Well, luckily for them, Highway 40 runs mostly unbroken all the way between Park City and Independence, though with Denver right smack in the middle, where Hwy 40 is Colfax Ave. Hey, maybe they could eat a good mid-journey Mexican meal at the Casa Bonita there!

But on the other hand, I expect the Mormons will be making the pilgrimage during the apocalypse...

Posted by: DaisyMae ( )
Date: February 14, 2016 11:19AM

Why did he Osmonds move their big growing families to Branson, Missouri several years ago then move back to Utah if Missouri is the PLACE TO BE? Same goes for several LDS performers in Branson. They only stay as long as they have a popular show(s).

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: February 14, 2016 02:26PM

Stupid just never ends...had a buddy dove headfirst into missourri and the old testament with all its jubilees and feasts and animal sacrifice...nuthin like killin the goats then having a party...seemed like a fairly smart guy...last he wrote me he was looking for donations...a little or a lot....guess it worked for plygs and mormons...whynot...there were quite a few buggered off from utah to missourri twenty years ago...all i hear theyre still bickering over who gets to run the show...then the disappointed promptly chased after ol winkys line a bull....seemed smarter than that...guess they missed the yellow dog wagging its tail talk...oh well

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.