Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: shodanrob ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 09:43AM

My Grandfather was apparently a visionary man and claimed to have had many visitations from the spirit world. Also had one from one of the fallen on couple of occasions apparently.

So have any of you had such a marvelous experience as to have had a spirit being visit you? These same beings told him to come to Utah and prepare for the second coming. So he sold all the property he owned in California (apartment buildings and things like that which he had built) and came to Utah. He ended up being screwed over by a bunch of Mormon bankers (shocker) and pretty much died a pauper. Good call spirits.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2016 09:44AM by shodanrob.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: AzPolarBear ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 09:45AM

I have had food come back to haunt me. I believe that my medications keep the visions under control though :)

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 09:49AM

A guy who looked like Don Amece once visited me at night, warning of an impending bad outcome in a real estate deal. I was struck dumb. Then I had to pee.

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 09:53AM

In all "seriousness," some members always claim visitations and revelations. I once had a bishop who frequently claimed he had received a revelation from God or had had a visitation in a dream that completely altered some decision he was about to make. We got so sick of his claims that we dismissed him as a plain nutty. He eventually lost all credibility over time, and the stake president was forced to replace him--which he did by elevating him to the high council, where he was then free to spin his revelation yarns in front of a wider audience all over the stake.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 09:51AM

I've had a few interesting experiences, including some shadow guy standing in my doorway when I was 16. But I don't tend to classify these experiences as visitors from beyond. I know what I saw, but I don't know what it was that I saw.

Posted by: Exmoron ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 09:57AM

Same here when I was 12...saw a full fledged ghost standing over by a doorway in my room. Was wide awake. I do not attribute this as evidence of God, afterlife, etc. Well put, "I know what I saw, but I don't know what it was I saw." That was 40 years ago and I know what I saw. Only happened once - nothing like that since. Scared the #$%@ out of me.

Date: February 09, 2016 10:05AM

I have seen a ghost, only way I could explain it. 15 years old up in a tree looking down at me. Disappeared after 2 minutes. Yes scared the hell out of me. Like you said, I know what I saw. Not sure what exactly it was, but it wasn't heavenly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2016 10:06AM by shodanrob.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 02:42PM

Real simple. It was a combination of factors.
1 active imagination.
2 young age
3 cognitive brain processes for critical thinking not fully developed
4 Growing up with religious programming

As older adults such things never happened again. You have become "wise" developed and tuned BS meters.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 10:21AM

I have had 2 experiences where a voice warned me of 'dangers' that proved true. Never seen who spoke ---- they didn't appear to me.

I have had numerous experiences 'communicating' with the other side but they have never appeared to me.

I guess that is why I go by the screen name 'spiritist'.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 10:23AM

Guess ive been robbed...was dead for a few minutes from wrong anastetic...no light no tunnel...no jesus...dam...have lived around folks all my life that see these things...me not so much...mom died four years ago...brother and sisters felt these beings coming to gather her up...me not so much...im guessing it may be like martin harris and his vision thru the mountain I just dont try hard enough...guess i can live without it...i really question peoples sanity anymore when some of this goes on...time will tell...if faith is wishing stuff and imagining stuff well....no thanks ive already had lunch...ymmv...and its all good...i dont doubt for a minute stuff happens

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 10:48AM

I have had some sleep paralysis episodes spread over decades.

Since my DH died, my most common dream is that we are together and then I can't find him, and have to search and search.

One morning I had a paralysis event where I was laying on my side and he snuggled up behind me, saying from a distance "I can see you, I can see you..." as he got closer. It was very warm and loving.

Then I awoke fully. I don't doubt for a moment that it was sleep paralysis and my left over dreams. None the less, I treasure the memory and the feeling it brought me. It felt so real.

We can all easily imagine what a religious person would make of this. If I weren't so familiar with sleep paralysis it would have been really amazing.

Posted by: Dafuq ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 10:52AM

tmi

Date: February 09, 2016 10:53AM

nope

damn, how boring is my life that ghosts or apparitions won't even bother me...

Posted by: blakballoon ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 05:43PM

I had one episode of sleep paralysis on my mission. I felt like I was being assaulted (sexually). I was struggling and fighting, and yet wasn't moving. I felt a warn sensation on my cheek and I 'awoke'. it was an unpleasant experience.

At the time I obviously thought it was related to satan attacking me. Only years later, trying to understand it more, did I look at the neuroscience and learn about sleep paralysis.

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 10:59AM

I haven't had any but my sibling claims one on the night that our dad died a few months ago. Said that it was him with his siblings and that everything was OK with him. I still believe that things like this are due to the upbringing, kind of like mormons say their temples are beautiful regardless of what they look look.

Posted by: scaredhusband ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 11:23AM

I seem to recall a Patrick Swayze like personage protecting me from a slimeball business partner and supposed friend named Carl Bruner. My protector tried communicating to me through a medium named Oda Mae Brown.

...but I could be remembering it all wrong. :)

There has been times when I felt like I was being watched. (Que Michael Jackson) I know now that it is a common psychological phenomena. Seen a couple shadow people. Nothing particularly interesting.

I thought I have felt hands on my shoulders. But now I have no idea what to think of that experience.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 11:46AM

2 experiences when I was a teenager:

Out with boyfriend on a drive up on a butte in rural Idaho. Dirt roads. Nighttime. I got a very strong impression that around the next curve would be a cow standing in the middle of the road. Told boyfriend to slow waaay down, please. As we rounded the curve, a cow was standing there in the road. Yeah, it scared the bejesus out of me.

Same boyfriend...out on a Saturday night and it was about 10 p.m. Again, got a strong impression he should take me home and get home. This was before cell phones, 911, or anything of the sort.The next morning, boyfriend called me all shook up. When he got home, his mother was frantic about his dad possibly having a heart attack and he had the only car. They took him to the hospital. Sadly, his dad had another heart attack a couple of days later in the hospital and passed away.

I have no idea what those instances mean.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 03:13PM

Not an expert but you and all of us have 'spirit guides' watching over us and trying to help up here on earth. Mine are not relatives as far as I know but some are.

They mainly come to play on important events such as who we marry, family life, profession, dangerous situations where we need to live longer, etc.

I have been 'helped' all my life with impressions, dreams, voices, communications, premonitions. I believe everyone has been helped but so 'closed' they didn't recognize it as I didn't recognize many until I look back. My sister and wife said 'that never has happened to me (impressions, or communication)' however, after hearing my stories they have subsequently be alerted to things. Threads like this help 'open' people more to the possibility and that allows 'spirit guides' to be able to come through more easily.

I wish I knew the rules by which they operate because sometimes I have heard voices ---- which is super cool, indicating to me I was so focused on something else that they couldn't get through with impressions and had to talk to 'protect' me ---- for what ever reason.

There are plenty of books and meditations on the net if you want to learn more about them and contact them directly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2016 03:16PM by spiritist.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 11:57AM

Interesting stories, told authentically and sincerely. Not to defend, let alone advocate, LDS mythology, would anybody here give credence to any Mormon's story about the three Nephites?

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 04:24PM

I wouldn't give any credence at all to any identification of the Three Nephites. If anyone were to visit you, which is itself highly unlikely, it would almost certainly be an ancestor or a family member, not some cardboard figure left over from a lost race. My basic reasoning here is that DNA is more reliable, more authentic, and more necessary than golden plates ever were. When Mormons say a stranger visited them, they're either making it up or just culturally conditioned to call any visitor a Nephite.

I took the opportunity to read 3 Nephi 28 once again. The whole story is incoherent and preposterous. So many things are said to be unknowable about the Three Nephites, but there is one clear statement: that those three were given very long lives to bring souls to Jesus Christ. And in the Book of Mormon, that means baptism and conversion. So members of the LDS church aren't going to be visited by missionary Nephites. Period.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 12:00PM

No veil = no visits.

RB

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 03:20PM

I've had enough people right here on the planet trying to order me around. I don't need another one.

The mormons can keep their holy the ghost.He's had so many words put into his mouth that he's now useless.

Date: February 09, 2016 04:26PM

"Holy Ghost, this is not an episode of Scooby-Doo..."

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 03:51PM

After my cat of 18 years died, I would sometime experience the sensation of him jumping onto my bed, walking over to his favorite spot, and curling up. Should I call Ghost Adventures?

Date: February 09, 2016 04:29PM

If our cat visited us after death, that's what she'd want to do. Just as she does now. What a beautiful way to let us know that everything's fine with her.

Posted by: Off the fence ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 04:10PM

I always found it ironic that the missionary mental health screening asked if you've ever had visions or visitations from the next world.

Date: February 09, 2016 04:19PM

I don't remember that...

Posted by: Off the fence ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 06:04PM

How recently did you serve?

Date: February 09, 2016 06:51PM

~2000

Posted by: boo ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 05:07PM

Yes. On multiple occasions I have been the recipient what are best described as angelic visitations. My brother had a similar experience when he was 60. A close friend came to me when I was his bishop and recounted his experience along the same line. My former patriarch who had been in my fathers bishopric as a counselor told me of multiple experiences he had of visits from my deceased parents with a particular message for on of their wayward children. I recognize this will be greeted with skepticism and even ridicule but the facts are as I stated them.

Date: February 09, 2016 05:50PM

So the departed parents visited the patriarch rather than their own children?

Sounds like the patriarch wanted to make himself more important than he really was. Even those who believe in spirit visitors, including me, tend to look down on mediums as unreliable.

Posted by: tamboruco ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 05:25PM

Echo RB - we are alone in the universe - many questions related to things outside the physical world are therefore moot and we suddenly understand more about ourselves our relationship to this world than any man made religion could ever teach us.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 05:57PM

I have met temple workers.

Date: February 09, 2016 06:25PM

LOL

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.