Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: In Hollywood ( )
Date: February 08, 2016 09:03PM

According to Sunset Magazine, none other than Ogden is the best small town in all the Western United States. I haven't been there in years.

Does everyone agree? Anyone agree?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: February 08, 2016 09:36PM

How is Ogden a suburb of SLC, considered a small town?

Population: 82,000

Somebody wrote that who is clueless.

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: February 08, 2016 10:08PM

Howdy neighbor!!!

Posted by: anon this time ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 01:32AM

Posted by: Ogden Resident ( )
Date: February 08, 2016 10:47PM

I was in the Air Force and was working at Hill Air Force Base. My wife and I ended up living in Ogden. We planned on staying for 2-3 years. 21 years later on Ogden I can say it's been a good experience. The mountains are beautiful. We live a 1/2 mile northeast of Weber State. Nice houses, decent people. Fewer Mormons. All my kids went to Ogden High. Two graduated from Utah State University, one graduates this year from the University of Utah, and my youngest is at Weber State. Ogden schools aren't the best but I think our kids did okay.

Ogden does have problems though. Crime is an issue in the central area. The new Ogden temple is overwhelming....way too big, too cookie cutter looking. The past mayor (Godfrey) was corrupt (but then again, most politicians are not ethical). Overall, Ogden is good. The big plus are few Mormons. Only four LDS families on our street. Life is good here.

Posted by: Former Ogden Resident ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 12:13AM

Ogden is really an under appreciated gem. It's "ghetto" by Utah standards, but it's objectively a good place to live in so many regards. It's beautifully framed by the mountains, and has very affordable housing, little traffic, a rich history with beautiful buildings, and Salt Lake is easily accessible when you need to go there. And the lack of TBMs is great too! While Mayor Biskupski has been in the news a lot recently, don't forget that Ogden elected an open lesbian to the city council and it was hardly controversial at all! Of course it does have some crime issues and OSD isn't the greatest, but if my circumstances were different, I'd move back there in a heartbeat.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 12:34AM

is Ogden still the crossroads of the west ?

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 12:58AM

"Ogden the best"
Parochial at best

Best corporation, too

Posted by: Belle ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 10:02AM

My nephew was drafted by the Los Angeles Angels and sent to play ball with the Orem Owls for his first summer after a long season culminating at CWS in Omaha. Orem Owls play the Ogden Raptors of which we, part of his family and all East coast people were there for the series in both Orem and Ogden. HATED OREM and PROVO. But we liked Ogden. It looked a bit dumpy coming off the I-15 through North Ogden but the downtown had been revitalised with a lovely new ballpark, hotels, restaurants, family activity kind of places, plus it was easy to navigate as out of towners. Although I tend to think these list pronouncements are more inspired by politicking rather than actual reality it was at least striving to take the top spot. The people were nice in Ogden too. The Orem/Provo pleaple were stand-offish and not very friendly at all. So much for happy valley. We were all glad to leave!

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 09:36AM

I was told by someone once that The city of ogden had the highest rate of teen pregnancy (relative to its population) of any city in America. Have never confirmed it for myself, but it wouldn't shock me.

So greatest small town? I dunno about all that ..

Posted by: Situation V ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 10:16AM

I adore Ogden! The past decade has brought new life to Ogden! There has been so much renovation and restoration of businesses and the residential areas and historical homes! There has been the revival of street fairs, farmers markets, art festivals, public concerts, etc. I just moved to ogden from a slc suburb because I love it that much :)

Posted by: Situation V ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 10:19AM

Aaaand, the best part... there's not near as many mormons, and they don't seem to be as stalkerish!! I had one come to my door one time (more than likely sent from a past bishop or something)I explained that mine was not a Mormon household, and they have left us alone ever since! Happy days!

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 11:42AM

If I remember correctly, Ogden was the original Not-Mormon town. It was started as a railroad town for people who weren't Mormons and didn't want anything to do with the Brighamites. It had a small African American community which is probably thriving today.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 03:19PM

My first job out of college was up at Thiokol, and I lived in Ogden. Liked the area, but hated the job, so I left after a year. 18 years later and I still miss riding my bike in those mountains.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.