Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Britboy ( )
Date: February 08, 2016 05:54AM

Why is it when there is some natural disaster the first thing the Mormon church reports is on how the missionarys are? Like in Taiwan, all the missionarys are safe. What about the local members? Are they Ok? Every other church reports first on how its members are! But the Mormon church is soooooo america centric that all they care about is the missionarys! Mummy in Utah musnt be worried about Elder Johnny, but local members pfoof they can be replaced! Says more about the Mormon church than words can!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: February 08, 2016 08:36AM

They should report on how many millions in aid they are giving, but, you know.

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: February 08, 2016 10:09AM

The only building to collapse had major construction problems. They found cooking oil cans inside concrete pillars.

Someone is going to jail over this.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 12:59PM

Going to jail???

Heads are literally going to roll.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 08, 2016 10:21AM

I hadn't heard the announcement yet that they are all safe, so I, myself, am glad to hear it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2016 10:21AM by cl2.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: February 08, 2016 10:24AM

The corrupt contractors are lucky they're not on mainland China where they would face a firing squad.

Date: February 08, 2016 03:42PM

Still dont understand why the church doesnt care about local members

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: February 08, 2016 03:55PM

This one I think I can understand.

Local members know how they are. They may be gathering together and helping each other or looking for each other in crisis situations.

It is often very difficult for family members to find out how they children are doing in a foreign country during a disaster. That's just in general, on top of that, if you include the taboo that prevents missionaries from directly contacting family members, it can make for a very tense situation. So, the church releasing that information on their behalf is one way to avoid a lot of that tension... Also, then members can't go on TV and say that they have no idea how their child is doing, which would be a huge embarrassment for the church. Instead, if they are interviewed for TV, they can say, "The church let us know our child is safe as soon as they could", which plays much better.

Posted by: jojo ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 12:23AM

There's more than 57,000 members in Taiwan. How could they possibly know the condition of all them. Later reports usually do report about any members affected once the numbers start coming in. We hear about missionaries early because every one of them call in to the mission home, or the mission home calls them, immediately after something like this happens.
And like Finally Free said the local members already know how they are.

Date: February 09, 2016 06:52AM

How could they possibly know the conditions of the members says JoJo? Well i thought thats what Bishops and home teachers were for to check on the situation of members! If Jehovahs Witness and the Seventh Day Adventists ,who have more members, can report how their members are I am sure the Mormon church could! To me it show how the Church is so Utah and America based it doesnt even understand the concept of a worldwide church. They are so worried about the missionarys that while other churches are rushing aid to their members ,the Mormon church is fussing about missionarys. As i said before why are local members less important than missionarys? The only answer is they dont want to loose the money missionarys families pay in tithing.

Date: February 09, 2016 10:29AM

I didn't see any reports about Jehovah's Witness or Seventh Day Adventists. Did you?

Date: February 10, 2016 02:08PM

That was 17 years ago. I was referring to the recent quake. Like I said if any mormons were affected by it it would eventually come out in the news. I have seen that happen with past quakes.

Date: February 11, 2016 08:03PM

Not trying to defend them, but just because something isn't mentioned in the news doesn't mean the they are not taking care of their members or don't care about people suffering there.

"The Church extends our love and concern for the people of Taiwan impacted by this major earthquake. Our thoughts and prayers are with those who are suffering," (Des. News 5 Feb.)

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 02:56AM

I think I can understand this, since they don't want families of missionaries to say on TV or on social media that they're worried about their child is doing after a disaster. That's also the case for stateside missions where a tornado or other disaster might hit, the only acceptable way for missionaries to let their families know they're safe is through the mission home. After all, missionaries are only allowed 2 phone calls a year, and can only write letters or send e-mails on their P-day. I found out that some missions even let them use social media accounts, but only for a brief period on their P-day.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 06:37AM

there's a saying from colonial era (UK) journalism
one Englishman is worth 5 Americans or 300 Indians

it relates to 'news worthiness' - and before anyone crys racism, it works equally well for American or Indian journalism, you just juggle the numbers.

the point is, we have much more interest about news we directly relate to. People who drive cars in Podunk, will be much more interested in a story about a new set of traffic lights in Podunk than a refugee riot in Jordan.
even when people are dying of Ebola by the thousands, the first thought of anyone in the US is 'could it come over here?'

Anyhow, the point I am trying to make, is: this is the huamn condition.... I for one am willing to cut the church owned media some slack in this case, because they are just following traditional journalistic practices

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.