Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 03, 2016 03:08PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5PO-jlK_l4

I've never understood why the heartland theory is so attractive to Mormons today. I've never thought much in my life about Book of Mormon geography. When I believed it was actually historical (not hysterical) it didn't matter where in the Americans as long as it made the New World the Promised Land. It could have happened in the Caribbean for all I cared about it. And when I researched ancient America and studied all the peoples who had nothing similar to The Book of Mormon stories I became even less concerned about where they had happened.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: February 03, 2016 03:13PM

I think they care because they want the so called "facts" to be what JS said they were. But like every word JS EVER uttered, it is all lies.

Date: February 03, 2016 03:30PM

And he obviously didn't care where it supposedly happened so why do they?

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: February 03, 2016 04:27PM

Why don't they just have another essay and say the BoM is/was set on Kolob? Now that would work well with the CULT mindset because nobody could disprove that.
We all know that Kolob is another moronic creation of JS, we can't actually prove beyond any doubt at all that it doesn't exist. I imagine that TBM astronomers have seen it with their TBM telescopes. TBMs have lots of hallucinations continually, visual and auditory. After all they hear the voice of the HG each and every day.

The HG eliminates personal responsibility. They can always say the HG was to blame if they do something wrong rather than admitting that their own conscience was in error. They can say that their "prompting" was wrong.

BTW - does anyone know if the fictional Kolob is also 6000 years old? Or is it older to allow for god's father [or someone else in the fake god hierarchy before the god of earth] to rule it?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 03, 2016 03:32PM

I don't care where the book is set as long as it's set aside.

Posted by: Bruce A Holt ( )
Date: February 03, 2016 03:37PM

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: February 03, 2016 03:33PM

Because they are desperate to not admit the truth apparent: The Book of Mormon was set in Joseph Smith's head.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2016 03:42PM by blueorchid.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: February 03, 2016 03:48PM

If Mormons can't show that the BOM occurred *somewhere,* then they can't prove that it happened *anywhere.*

This is why the difference between the competing factions of Mormons---the Heartlanders vs. the Limited Geographites---is so telling to the issue of the BOM's authenticity: if the two groups are thousands of miles apart from each other on possible BOM locations, that indicates that there isn't enough evidence in one area or another to even begin to identify a general location. They might as well theorize that the BOM occurred in Timbuktu.

Date: February 03, 2016 04:05PM

Or Polynesia. I'm still waiting for that BoM geography to happen.

Posted by: Professional Postmo ( )
Date: February 03, 2016 04:24PM

as a postmo I thought it was to obfuscate the issue. i.e. we don't know eskactly where it all happened that's why we haven't found anything yet.

Also, Elder Berry you aren't from the Bay Area in CA are you?

Date: February 03, 2016 04:30PM

Professional Postmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also, Elder Berry you aren't from the Bay Area in
> CA are you?

Utah exMormon. Berry is not my correct appellation. I picked it because I like whine.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 03, 2016 08:07PM

Because some Mormons want to know/ believe if it's "true".

Date: February 03, 2016 08:24PM

Those Mormons are on The Internet. I'm betting their claims need justifying here on the inter tubes.

I think many Mormons are like, "I could stick my hand up a cow's butt to see if it will make good steak, but I would rather trust the prophet, I mean butcher to tell me."

Posted by: bondo ( )
Date: February 04, 2016 10:31AM

i know a guy that has taken multiple trips to Panama, hired a local guide and everything.
he convinced Panama is the narrow neck of land.
he ain't found nothing yet

Date: February 04, 2016 01:43PM

"i know a guy that has taken multiple trips to Panama, hired a local guide and everything.
he convinced Panama is the narrow neck of land.
he ain't found nothing yet"

The late Mormon writer Samuel Taylor related the account of an expedition of BYU instructors and students who traveled down to Central America in the year 1900. They didn't find any BOM evidence then, any more than your buddy did. All they found was malaria.

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: February 04, 2016 01:54PM

Panama cannot be the "narrow neck of land". The BoM is mostly extremely vague about it's geography but in this case it's for once detailed that the "narrow neck of land" has oceans to the east and to the west. The "narrow neck" of panama happens to have the oceans to the north and to the south.

Date: February 09, 2016 10:27PM

I wrote some comments years ago about this issue. You can read them here:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1268863,1269921#msg-1269921

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: February 04, 2016 10:42AM

Thomas Stuart Ferguson told me personally in 1970 that searching for Book of Mormon cities was a complete waste of time since they don't exist and never have. No Mormon has ever spent more money or time than has Ferguson attempting to do that very thing.

These modern searchers could as well spend their time determining exactly where Jules Verne's Mysterious Island is located.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: February 04, 2016 01:07PM

The Bible locations after Genesis are well laid out. The Book of Mormon is supposed to be a religious history like the Bible. With no historical evidence and nothing to anchor it in place, it seems more like fantasy than history.

Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: February 04, 2016 01:13PM

Elder Berry Wrote:

> I've never understood why the heartland theory is so attractive to Mormons today.

One reason has to do with the location of the Hill Cumorah. If we accept that the bulk of the BOM history took place in North America, then it is logical to assume that the Hill Cumorah in New York, where Joseph dug up the plates that Moroni buried, must be the same Hill Cumorah that was the location of two massive battles (or series of battles) described in the BOM where a total of 2.2 Million Lamanite, Nephite and Jaredite warriors battled to their deaths using steel swords and other weapons of war.

If that's the case, then since no evidence of these massive battles with 2,200,000 men or their weapons has ever been found in Cumorah, NY, then those stories might be mere fiction. If those two key stories are fiction, then it stands to reason that the entire Book of Mormon may not be real history either.

Posted by: L Tom Petty ( )
Date: February 04, 2016 01:58PM

Posted by: Exiled ( )
Date: February 04, 2016 02:17PM

Don't you know that God caused all the evidence of the Book of Mormon and the exodus and of other biblical "history" to be hidden as a test of faith? He also put dinosaur bones in the ground and fossils of Neanderthals to test our faith. So, it's not surprising there are so called "problems" with Book of Mormon geography. It's just a test of faith and the Book of Mormon is true. So forget all these so called "problems" already and just choose to believe in something that looks completely false. This is what God demands and he will send you to hell if you don't do it.

Posted by: kjensen ( )
Date: February 04, 2016 02:50PM

Don't you just love it, there is always an out, except for the most logical one, which is that its all just made up stories. However, its impossible to argue with these folks for the very same reasons. God is testing us, or he'll reveal it in his own time, its not God's will (always the best fallback position for anything), etc.

Date: February 04, 2016 02:57PM

Exiled Wrote:
> This is what God demands and he
> will send you to hell if you don't do it.

God's demands through His holy prophets pretty much guarantee that I'm damned. I don't like demands so I'm damned. That is how it works.

d-eman-d d-amne-d d-amen-d drop the ds and amen to my priest-hood. Hooded people making demands for God. Not my thing.

Posted by: Baldy ( )
Date: February 04, 2016 03:51PM

I attended a stake conference with my TBM wife last year, and that is exactly what a visiting Seventies speaker said. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

On the way home, the mishies, who we driving to save them travel miles on their car, were positively gushing over what the speaker had said about god testing our faith.

When I said, "So, it's faith in the face of facts, huh?" they responded, "Yeah! That's great! We're going to use that the next time an investigator challenges us with that."

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.