Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: February 03, 2016 02:09PM

Just read that when Marie Osmond divorced and subsequently married Brian Blosil in the temple, her eldest son, Stephen Craig took on the last name of his stepfather and became Stephen Craig Blosil. Now that Marie is divorced from Blosil and remarried in the temple to Craig, at least one of her kids (Brandon) has gone from being a Blosil to a Craig. Do temple dealings require a legal adoption before sealing children to parents? And how easy is it to cancel a sealing of children to parents?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: February 03, 2016 03:18PM

Please clarify your question.

How easy is it for rank-and-file mormons or how easy is it if you are mormon royalty?

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: February 03, 2016 04:30PM

Non-biological children or stepchildren must be legally adopted before being sealed to parents.

I'm not sure how sealing cancellations work when children are involved. Since it's all fake anyway, I'm sure the church can work it any which way it wants to make sure some people are happy.

ETA: Come to think of it, I had a friend in high school who was legally adopted by his stepfather and then sealed to him in the temple. His mother and stepfather later divorced. The friend's mother remarried when he was in his early twenties. He legally changed his name so that he could be sealed to his mother's new husband. I'm not sure if the sealing to his first stepfather had to be dissolved first. Things can get so complicated when you're dealing with Mormon sealings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2016 04:44PM by want2bx.

Posted by: Lurker 1 ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 02:03PM

You don't have to legally adopt a child to have him/her sealed to you. At least not 26 years ago. All we had to do was have the biological father sign a paper stating that he gives his permission to have the child sealed to us. At the time I was totally believing and when he signed the paper with a smirk on his face I thought "how stupid can he be". I still think he was stupid for leaving his wife and child but his loss was my gain

Date: February 03, 2016 04:38PM

I meant "sealings" not "dealings"

want2bx clarified for me...thank you.

So, at least in the Osmond case, those involved thought it important enough to keep families sealed that they adopted out/in their spouses stepkids?

Anyone know how often this happens?
Anyone ever hear of a divorced spouse allowing the new spouse of former spouse to adopt their kids? Because today, I know the answer is that "it will all be worked out."

This also raises some larger issues such as why would a living parent allow a step parent to adopt their child.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: February 03, 2016 04:54PM

I think a living parent would allow a step parent to adopt their child so they no longer have to pay child support.

In the case of my friend whose story I told in my previous post, he had minor siblings who were also sealed to his new stepfather. They were the biological children of his first stepfather. His stepfather gladly terminated his parental rights so that he no longer had to pay child support.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2016 05:02PM by want2bx.

Date: February 03, 2016 05:42PM

I can't imagine a father doing this. Seems so very odd.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.