Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: January 15, 2016 10:59PM

Not sure if this has been posted, but here you go...Issues w/mormonism by (assumed) nonmormon media.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mette-ivie-harrison/new-church-problems-mormo_b_8991496.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lavaman ( )
Date: January 15, 2016 11:10PM

Funny that she is still "faithful" but "unorthodox" clearly hanging on to a sinking ship...

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 16, 2016 12:49AM

I was (10 pages worth of) critical of Sis. Harrison's first novel, and I still stand by my criticisms. I don't doubt her intelligence, but I 'doubt' her as a communicator via the written word.

Look at this sentence of hers:

"This week, as Elder Nelson of the Quorum of the Twelve insisted that the new policy excluding gay married couples and their children from sacraments within the church, I thought again of the importance of the creation of a canon for any church."

She didn't finish her first sentence: "Elder Nelson...insisted.." What did he insist?? I think it's apparent she was going to say that he was insisting the new policy was a revelation. But that actually detracts from her point that there is often difficulty telling canon from opinion. Coming out with the statement, "This is a revelation" leaves no room for current equivocation. They can't use the 'only speaking as a man' defense after he's shuffled off his mortal coil.

I don't understand Sis. Harrison. Not my job, but understanding people is a hobby.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: January 17, 2016 11:44AM

ha!

I guess,like my high school English teacher taught me as a youth, when you construct a sentence that long you run the risk of losing your train of thought and not stopping to check that you've properly.

Posted by: claire ( )
Date: January 17, 2016 12:21PM

Very nice!

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: January 16, 2016 12:59AM

Dissertation on "here is what I think."

So?

Okay, so the corporation thinks it shouldn't have to sit at the kiddies table anymore.

So?

Posted by: HOMER SAPIEN ( )
Date: January 16, 2016 01:05AM

"Justifying past wrongs and rewriting history are also common practices of newer religions."

Um, NO, all religions spend plenty of time doing this.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 16, 2016 10:47AM

I don't understand why she's still a member if she is smart enough to recognize all of her doubts. Moreover, all of her negative writings on Huff are certainly noticed by a certain committee.

How much longer until she gets called by her SP or area rep?

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: January 16, 2016 04:02PM

These are soooo not the problems newer religions struggle with. She needs to educate herself on the sociology of religious organizations. Goes to show that having a PhD in one subject doesn't protect you from blabbing utter nonsense on another.

Posted by: postep ( )
Date: January 16, 2016 05:28PM

rt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> These are soooo not the problems newer religions
> struggle with. She needs to educate herself on the
> sociology of religious organizations. Goes to show
> that having a PhD in one subject doesn't protect
> you from blabbing utter nonsense on another.

1) How many gods, and did he have kids?
2) What is god made of, spirit, flesh and bone gone rogue, lightening bolts...?
3) How many warriors will we need, how do we feed them if the pillaged are poor, shouldn't we move the chariot wheels more to the center?
4) How are we gonna shut the womenfolk up about out man cave?

Posted by: cytokine ( )
Date: January 17, 2016 12:24PM

So true.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: January 17, 2016 11:21AM

Here is the Forbes article where Jon Huntsman says that MORmON tithing does not constitute veritable charitable giving.
......LDS Inc probably did not see that coming !!!!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewcave/2014/06/23/giving-to-your-church-doesnt-count-jon-huntsman-snr-and-twitters-biz-stone-on-new-philanthropy/#2715e4857a0b7740a7b016a4

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: January 17, 2016 12:14PM

"“People who put money in the church basket and people who go to church and pay the pastor: that isn’t real philanthropy, that’s just like you belong to a country club."

Wow........he hit the nail on the head...and this is one of them "rich guys" that mormons want to be...

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: January 17, 2016 06:08PM

Jon Huntsman Sr. was the designate home teacher for the LDS Inc. Pres. / THE PRofit of THE (MORmON) church for many years. Since Jon was such a great caring giving home teacher, when Jon Sr. was Gordon BS Hinckley's hometeacher, Jon told Hinckley that Hinckley could use any one of several of Huntsman's personal jets IF Hinckley wanted to. So, one thing that Hinckley used the Huntsman jet for was to descend on the Navajo nation one Sunday after noon. Yah, when a person has extreme privilege, why not rub it directly into the faces of the most proximate and most poverty stricken group of people around. And, well, its not like Hinckley could fly into Magna /West Valley City and have the same dramatic impact, so that singled out the Navajo nation for a showy Hinckley jet hop .....but thats another story. The fact that Jon Sr. could make comments like the ones in the Forbes article shows that the Huntsmans are OUT of the LDS Inc PR loop, and the good graces of LDS Inc, and that LDS Inc is out of the Huntsman's good graces, which is virtual apostasy for such a high profile good member figure, if not an outright one. I suspect that it was due in large part to LDS Inc's demonstration of rabid preference and preferential support for Mitten Rmoney in the US Pres. Race -you know, the ragged preference that LDS Inc demonstrated AND said they did not have, but that's another story ( MORmON LIE).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.