Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: johnnyboy ( )
Date: January 15, 2016 07:33PM

http://boingboing.net/2016/01/15/a-cup-of-coffee-1980-mormon.html

Oh how wonderful... wonderful to me ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2016 07:33PM by johnnyboy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: January 15, 2016 07:44PM

Date: January 15, 2016 07:55PM

yes... jesus loves only the postum drinkers.

That video comes from this youtube channel that is full of GOLD!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAnRNCf5m5I0pEdqYMfGOgA/feed

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: January 16, 2016 07:51PM

I always thought that the "no coffee" thing is such a joke. A disprportionately high number of church members abuse sugar and fatty foods. In other words, they're fat because of their addiction to eating more sugar and fatty foods than the body can process. You'll often find the worst abusers in the temple. Abuse of sugar and over eating in general causes far more bodily harm than caffine or anything else found in coffee harms the body. That's not to disparage overweight people. But why select caffine as an evil substance without going after more unhealthy substances first?

Answer: They just picked something to make mormons a more peculuer people. Coffee is easier to give up than excessive sugurs and fats. They didn't want too many people leaving the church over the word of wisdom. "Brother Jones, I can see that you're about 80 pounds overweight. I can't renew your temple recommend until after you've taken off roughly 60 pounds". Brother Jones tells the Bishop to go to hell Jones resigns.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2016 07:58PM by azsteve.

Posted by: sd allison ( )
Date: January 15, 2016 07:53PM

Another fine example of how Mormons love to gossip and belittle others.

Date: January 15, 2016 07:55PM

SHHHH!! Here she comes now!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 16, 2016 12:48AM

The horror, the horror.

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: January 16, 2016 07:44AM

That is so bad it is good.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: January 16, 2016 08:05AM

Would should their teacher have gotten her coworker a gigolo if she was lonely? By delivering coffee, she was helping her sin and leading her to perdition. She was teaching those boys it was okay to handle forbidden substances as long as you were doing it for a gentile.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: January 16, 2016 08:15AM

That must have taken all of an afternoon to produce from start to finish.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: January 16, 2016 08:23AM

Little did they know that Mrs. Robinson, caught with her usual morning mug of coffee in her hand, simply made up a lie about it. She chuckled as she exited the room at how totally GULLIBLE the boys were. Well, as the song says:

"Hide it in the hiding place where no one ever goes.
Put it in your pantry with your cupcakes.
It's a little secret just the Robinson's affair.
Most of all you've got to hide it from the kids.

Koo-koo-ka-choo, Mrs. Robinson,
Jesus loves you more than you will know.
God bless you, please, Mrs. Robinson.
Heaven holds a place for those who pray,
Hey, hey, hey
Hey, hey, hey"

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: January 16, 2016 08:25AM

See how they slipped in a couple of stills of testimony meeting there? Talk about brainwashing - even get a testimony delivered during a short about coffee.

Date: January 16, 2016 02:28PM

I was showing it to some nevermo friends and they looked at me in horror. They asked "how did you escape this level of brainwashing? This is insane!"

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: January 16, 2016 03:12PM

I loved the film strip quality to this. It made it ever so old fashioned. And having been made in Mormonism's glory days is just the icing on the cake.

I just expected to hear those little "ding" sounds where you advance to the next picture in the film strip.

Posted by: Mike T. ( )
Date: January 16, 2016 06:29PM

Love the interpreter's tie. When was he alive? In the late 1800s?

Posted by: The Tare ( )
Date: January 16, 2016 06:43PM

That was hilarious, however, I have to give them huge props for having an excellent ASL interpreter! It is surprising to me they didn't just have subtitles.

I'm glad someone at some point in the church thought that deaf members were important. At least on a local level they don't give a ****. I have two daughters who were profoundly deaf from birth and until they got cochlear implants and learning to understand speech- ASL was their ONLY way to communicate. They refused to get an interpreter for my kids (or another deaf couple in the ward). Myself and others tried to educate them as to why this was necessary (and ADA law), but they couldn't grasp it or just didn't want to pay for it.

I could go on the world's longest diatribe about my experiences regarding this type of thing, but now I'm totally off topic. But, it might have been said by a Bishop that they could still "feel the spirit." Okay- learn the gospel through osmosis?!

Posted by: justforfun ( )
Date: January 16, 2016 08:13PM

Perhaps they could have received the spirit if the LDS gospel were true. It is so simple to me. Was it 52 things old Joseph said that did not come to fruition ? Seems like enough to me to deem him a FALSE PROPHET ! OR PROFIT .. That he did very well. I can see one of the shiny white buildings from my home. Looks like a rocket ship. I hope it takes off soon.

God Bless

Posted by: hohoho ( )
Date: January 16, 2016 07:21PM

So I watched the cheesy video, scrolled down to see if anything else of interest, and sure enough, something was.

http://boingboing.net/2015/12/10/in-case-you-were-wondering-th.html

Posted by: iknowthischurchisfalse ( )
Date: January 16, 2016 08:12PM

These are the kind of shorts that should have been mocked on MST3K and deserve to be made fun of on Rifftrax by Mike, Kevin and Bill. Some of the shorts on MST3K are ridiculous.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.