Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Shiner Bock ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 01:17PM

How many trolls and exmormons have to go on there until the missionaries "chatting" become cynical and beg for different duty?

Does this "chat" really do any good? Are people converted? From what I've seen after googling the subject, Mormon chat is simply a way for people to troll for fun.

Any stories from Mormon chat ex-missionaries here? Can you share your stories about the flustration of getting strung along only to have find out you have been trolled?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Duder ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 01:45PM

The entire internet exists for trolls, and those mormonites glory in their persecutions. It's a match made in the basement.

Posted by: beulahland ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 02:12PM

I chatted with them once in a totally non-trolly just had some questions about their faith way. I was totally polite and sincere, and they were both nice and all, but holy crap do they not wanna answer questions. I'd say something like, "If the holy ghost testifies to all truths, then how are you supposed to use his testimony to determine the most true thing?" And they'd either ask me my own question back, like, "Well how do you think the feeling would differ?" or completely change the subject, like, "Well, have you ever prayed?" Frustrating.

Posted by: Shiner Bock ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 05:56PM

I would just guess that every conversation ends in bitter flustration for the missionary. People are WAY more blunt on the internet because it's anonmous.

Posted by: derpyhooves ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 06:02PM

Tried the chat once, still do not know how magnets work.

Posted by: Anon to protect the innocent ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 06:40PM

My sister is currently a missionary on Temple Square. She does some of the Mormon.org chats. It is part of her rotation. She does it for a part of the day. While I don't doubt she gets her share of trolls, she tells me that they actually have a lot of genuine interest. She also answers the phone for those who prefer to call rather than chat. When she gets home from her mission I'll be sure to ask her about trolls and what % of people she thinks were trolls versus genuine inquiries.

Posted by: KC ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 07:31PM

for the first time and asked a simple question about the translation of the BOM. Was told it was by the power of God. I followed up with the article from Russell M Nelson about rocks in hat. Was told in chat by full time missionary "there is nobody by this name in the church, you should only read church approved material on this"

Just about spit all over my computer screen. The mish, followed this up about 2 minutes later with a, oh, sorry, yeah he is one of the 12. I about died. Told him to study up as he had never heard of this, and that he should get the word out that missionaries need to know what they are teaching before they dare tell people what to do with their life.

He of course followed this up by asking if I had a family (change of course in the discussion)

They follow a script, a poor one at that, but it is a script. Don't stay on topic, steer everyone to the "family together forever" message.

Makes me sick.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.